Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times

Advertisements

I hate even posting anymore about this issue. I feel stupid just complaining again, but here I go anyways.
I've already complained to the Mayor, but the problem is still ongoing. As was posted back in March, Westbury started an aggressive campaign to improve the quality of life in this village. It was targetting illegal housing, in particular. I was hopeful that this crackdown would result in less overcrowded houses in the village and loitering problems. This, in part with the new "Space at Westbury" theater and lounges would make Westbury look more desirable, and downtown more appealing. Now I know things take time, but I regret to say I see ZERO improvement with the loitering. Now that summer is practically here, they are once again loitering throughout Post Ave, and along with that, they are dumping trash everywhere.
I was hoping for once, I could feel safe walking down Post Ave in summer, but I guess that may just be a pipe dream. People say I'm a negative, glass half-empty guy. Well I really have been trying to be more optimistic about Westbury, I figured, lets give this new theater and enforcement policy a chance and see how this summer goes. Well it hasn't been going too well so far. The village tells me they are aware of the situation and are working with the NCPD to take action against the loitering, but I do not see anything being done. Every late afternoon & evening 10-20 men are just loitering around, often shouting & drinking, at the center of town. They leave behind trash all over the piazza by Post & Maple. This is what I have to look at the next morning.

I sure know posting here doesn't solve anything, but it is advice to others who are thinking about moving to Westbury. The portion of the Village located east of Ellison (where I live) is not advisable, because not only do we have continuing problems with illegal houses, you'll be paying taxes for Westbury schools which you will definately NOT want to use. I really think no matter how hard Westbury tries, and to their credit it does seem like they are trying, there are factors that they just cannot control. Sure Garden City is a paradise compared to Hempstead which is right next door, but Garden City doesn't go to Hempstead schools. So it remains desirable and safe. As long as this portion of Westbury village shares a district with New Cassel, it will not be desirable. New Cassel's issues with overcrowded, illegal housing, loitering, and public safety become ours. New Cassel's issues will always be ignored by those in power at the Town of N.Hempstead, and will always be dragging us down. Families dont want to buy homes here, and thus, they are often sold to slumlords, because they are the only ones buying the houses. As far as attracting commuters, most trains skip Westbury, we do not have the service that places like Bellmore & Merrick get. I sure would love to know how many of those condos by the LIRR station here in Westbury are vacant, I bet it is significant, especially since they are no bargain. We all know when I suggested Westbury Village form its own school district separate from New Cassel how upset ppl were at the idea. So we are pretty much doomed.
Westbury will never be like Bellmore or Seaford. As for those who wonder why I haven't moved, it's not entirely up to me for personal reasons, but I think if there's no improvement by the end of this summer I need to take some action so I can get out. Yes the theater seems to be doing well, but Riverhead & Patchogue also have theaters that do well and continue to have the same problems we do.
I really don't know what else I can say, or do, besides just moving out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM

413 posts, read 598,850 times
Wow, been up and down Post Ave dozens of times. Not scared at all. Never had an issue or a threatening encounter. Love the turkish restaurant at the corner of Post and Maple (Mediterranean Kebab House). Use the Chase ATM at that corner often too. Again, no issues. Same rant posts you made about Hicksville that were inaccurate. You should stop the histrionics and just move somewhere you feel safer. Like Utah.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Wow, been up and down Post Ave dozens of times. Not scared at all. Never had an issue or a threatening encounter. Love the turkish restaurant at the corner of Post and Maple (Mediterranean Kebab House). Use the Chase ATM at that corner often too. Again, no issues. Same rant posts you made about Hicksville that were inaccurate. You should stop the histrionics and just move somewhere you feel safer. Like Utah.
Its easy to miss things when you drive everywhere like most do.
I dont see trash lying around in public plazas like that in Bellmore. Or Merrick. And I'm there often. I guess thats why they call it "The Riviera" since its the only part of Nassau that's cleaner & safer than the rest!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 PM

413 posts, read 598,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Its easy to miss things when you drive everywhere like most do.
I dont see trash lying around in public plazas like that in Bellmore. Or Merrick. And I'm there often. I guess thats why they call it "The Riviera" since its the only part of Nassau that's cleaner & safer than the rest!
Yes, I only drive past the Chase ATM and Turkish restaurant and they just throw the food out the window at me while I speed by . Post Ave is perfectly fine. If it's not up to Bellmore/Merrick standards, well, there's always Bellmore/Merrick. Post Ave is a lot busier, a lot more diverse and generally cheaper. Beverly Hills is nice too, but people from Reseda don't wonder why it's so much cleaner.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Yes, I only drive past the Chase ATM and Turkish restaurant and they just throw the food out the window at me while I speed by . Post Ave is perfectly fine. If it's not up to Bellmore/Merrick standards, well, there's always Bellmore/Merrick. Post Ave is a lot busier, a lot more diverse and generally cheaper. Beverly Hills is nice too, but people from Reseda don't wonder why it's so much cleaner.
I'm not sure when you visit these place or how often you're here, but I'm just seeing things differently. Maybe you're just not bothered by the site of the men loitering, but I am and so are others I'm sure.
Look at this Google Streetview. It's from 2012, but I assure you it looks the same today.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7562...wRWuA-oKdw!2e0

Old 06-18-2014, 11:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,337 times
Have you considered moving to Rocky Point?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:25 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Yeah. At least in Rocky Point they keep the Camaros on cinder blocks on the lawn.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:26 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah. At least in Rocky Point they keep the Camaros on cinder blocks on the lawn.
Not just Camaros....IROCs.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:54 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Isn't Westbury a village? Don't they have their own police?

Westbury isn't going to change John. It's not going to become a lily-white suburb. Just move.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 AM

260 posts, read 450,743 times
I just walked from the library to Dunkin D on Post and back.....I find this post hilarious. Do you even own a home? If not then you aren't tied to this neighborhood and should up and go. Westbury very diverse which I guess makes some uncomfortable? To each, their own. I do acknowledge that the schools are a problem and New Cassel needs to be focused on by TONH but that will never happen. TONH only cares about Manhassett/Great Neck/Port Wash. Eh, if I were you, I'd move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island