Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I cannot disagree with his facts:

The University of North Carolina was chartered in 1789; Duke University in 1836; and NC State in 1899......Research Triangle Park, named in recognition of and strategically located nearly equidistant between those three major research universities, opened in 1959.

Anybody who thinks the Research Triangle area is only good and all its advantages were created by and because of current northerners moving there is incorrect. Those institutions of higher learning have been around a LONG time ... way before LI'ers and other Yankees decided to relocate there en masse. When Research Triangle Park was created, it was still part of the "Golden Era" of LI and other northern suburbs, so nobody was moving there en masse either.

Yes, I agree - but time and again on this forum we hear that employers cannot make it down here without the work ethic, wit and wisdom of native NYers. Haven't you alluded to the same? And yet here we have the major employment center of this area that was in business long before anyone heard of the Containment Area. Same with the 3 top notch universities in this area.

Can't argue both sides. That's all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:25 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Wrong!

Believe me, it's no place that would ever advertise. (And if it were, it wouldn't be the place I'd go).

It's the kind of place one finds only by being a contrarian, and by traveling the back roads.

Please, I've already had 2 relative families move down here, and a friend from LI bought some property here. Posting my location on this forum could result in many people checking out the area and moving here- and even a few would be a lot in a county of a few thousand people! (Although, I guess the good news is- as a local real-estate broker told me, most of 'em don't last 3 years)

I mean seriously- you don't think that there are THOUSANDS of people on LI who would like to live in a place where they could have 25 or 30 acres for the price of a new car? Where property taxes are in hundreds- not thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars? Where $250K would buy them a house and acreage comparable to what you'd pay over a million for on the island? Where they could pay cash for a modest home, with acreage, and live on peanuts, while enjoying more freedom than they've known in NY for the last 40 years?

Keep guessing. Don't want this place turning into Cary, NC! (or Murray, KY)
So if the place is so great why do most newcomers not last 3 years?

You said the economy is mostly agricultural. Does that mean there aren't many jobs available? If so, most families with kids aren't going to want to move there. The fact that there are actually jobs in places like Raleigh/Durham is what makes it so popular for transplants.

Is it near the beach or mountains? Those are some of the main draws for retirees.

In case you weren't aware, there are a lot of places where you can get cheap property. That alone (and friendly people) doesn't make a place a great place to move to.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:30 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So if the place is so great why do most newcomers not last 3 years?
Because people who come from the cities and suburbs often have unrealistic expectations about very rural living, far from any city. (I've been a hick all of my life, so I took to it like a fish to water)

Quote:
You said the economy is mostly agricultural. Does that mean there aren't many jobs available? If so, most families with kids aren't going to want to move there. The fact that there are actually jobs in places like Raleigh/Durham is what makes it so popular for transplants.
Nope, not a lot of jobs; and almost no good jobs- but opportunities for self-employment and agricultural pursuits is unparalleled [Strong local economy, which does not fluctuate with Wall St; cheap store/shop rent; little regulation/freedom to do business from your home]. Not everyone wants to work in a cubicle.

Quote:
Is it near the beach or mountains? Those are some of the main draws for retirees.
Nope....but still plenty of outdoor recreation- and when you can have land, you don't even have to leave home to enjoy yourself.

Quote:
In case you weren't aware, there are a lot of places where you can get cheap property. That alone (and friendly people) doesn't make a place a great place to move to.
Not as cheap as here; and not with the ridiculously low taxes; freedom to do what you want (i.e. no zoning; building codes- great for those who want to build unusual houses...)- People are helpful...not necessarily friendly. (I recently heard of a new arrival complaining that they can't find other couples to pal-around with. The locals have been here for generations; they hang-out with their relatives and are busy with their farms/businesses/jobs/families)

It's not the place for the average LIer- but as the economy gets worse and worse; and the quality of life deteriorates not just on LI, but in all metro areas/suburb, more and more people will be looking to find shelter in a place like this is as far removed from all the BS as one can get in this country.

13 years ago, everyone thought I was nuts for picking this area. A few years later, people started following me. We tend to get a lot of refugees from Chicago here...but they're not bad as NYers (and they don't pack-up after 3 years- they tend to be more folksy and realistic).

Next week I'll post a few pics of my place (gotta take some updated photos), and we'll see what people think.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Wow, so none of your neighbors has ever taken advantage of Medicare (where you get more from the government than you pay in), Social Security (ditto), any sort of federal tax deductions, Medicaid or any other sort of federal funding for your region. I guess you and your neighbors also don't drive on any federally funded highways that other Americans have paid for. I guess your neighbors with kids reject the opportunity to use federal child tax credits. They must all be pretty well off to do that. And the kids, wishing to remain "self-sufficient," probably also do not accept any school lunches because, of course, these are federally subsidized as well. In fact, I guess I can assume that you all produce your own food and don't accept any that has been picked or prepared by illegal immigrants earning pennies for long days of hard work. You all must live like the Amish.

The truth is that no one today is "self-sufficient." As mentioned in my previous post, North Carolina profits from federal money, while New York loses. Yours has been a "taker" state for many years, well before the current President took office. And if your state is too "liberal" (another joke), then head down to South Carolina, which tops the nation in the money per dollar that it sucks from the rest of us. In fact, most of the southern states have been a burden to federal taxpayers since the end of the Civil War. What's ironic is that, in these "taker" states, you can't go 10 feet without hearing someone complain about federal government "intrusion."

If you turned off Fox News for a while and delved into your neighbors' situations, I think you'd be surprised to learn that most of them are feeding at the federal trough in one way or another.

So, to sum up, NY = 20% less than we give to the federal government. NC = 34% more. From up here, it looks like all of North Carolina is on welfare.
Stop making NY look dumber then it is. Most of those taxes are from NYC. Most of the taxes are paid by national and multinational business' who are paying because they like their HQ to read "New York City". The money taken in is from all over the US and the world in many cases, it isn't magically made in NY. Same thing for Cali being a hub for the Port of LA and Hollywood.

So Mr Middle Class invests in his 401K which goes through a company based in NYC like Merril Lynch. That money makes some cash on the stock market, is reported as income, and taxed accordingly. So "NC" money is being used in NYC by a NYC company, then taxed as income and returned to NC.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 AM

226 posts, read 483,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
LOL.. Friend of mine, native to the region said that's how the locals refer to LI transplants that move there. It maybe old, you may have heard it before..but you must admit it's funny!
Hey have any of you poster remember the original post? I think this should be shut down before these waring tribe start another civil war. Its time for the waring yankees and dixies to made pease. the civil war is over people. play nice!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Wrong!

Believe me, it's no place that would ever advertise. (And if it were, it wouldn't be the place I'd go).

It's the kind of place one finds only by being a contrarian, and by traveling the back roads.

Please, I've already had 2 relative families move down here, and a friend from LI bought some property here. Posting my location on this forum could result in many people checking out the area and moving here- and even a few would be a lot in a county of a few thousand people! (Although, I guess the good news is- as a local real-estate broker told me, most of 'em don't last 3 years)

I mean seriously- you don't think that there are THOUSANDS of people on LI who would like to live in a place where they could have 25 or 30 acres for the price of a new car? Where property taxes are in hundreds- not thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars? Where $250K would buy them a house and acreage comparable to what you'd pay over a million for on the island? Where they could pay cash for a modest home, with acreage, and live on peanuts, while enjoying more freedom than they've known in NY for the last 40 years?

Keep guessing. Don't want this place turning into Cary, NC! (or Murray, KY)
Lebanon, KY?

The Turtleman - Call of the Wildman - Visit Lebanon

HOME - Turtle Man

It may get overcrowded there real soon! Turtleman's series is a big hit on Animal Planet!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, I agree - but time and again on this forum we hear that employers cannot make it down here without the work ethic, wit and wisdom of native NYers. Haven't you alluded to the same? And yet here we have the major employment center of this area that was in business long before anyone heard of the Containment Area. Same with the 3 top notch universities in this area.

Can't argue both sides. That's all I'm saying.
In a word, no. I am not "arguing both sides." Employers in other parts of the country are not dying without former NY'ers as employees. What I do argue about is how there are some ungrateful LI'ers who don't understand that first having grown up and lived on LI gave them an advantage and instead of admitting that, all they do is dis LI once they've left. That's why I like to quote this great post from sean sean sean sean:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post22676488

Quote:
I totally agree with this, but at the same time I also love Long Island to death. All the intangible good far outweighs the evil of greedy government scumbags, lacrosse mom mall couture culture and farty nostalgia junkies for me.

IMO the reason anyone moves to, or remains living on, Long Island or any one of the other incredibly expensive NYC suburbs is very easily defined: OPPORTUNITY. I don't care what any realty website COL-calculator comparison guide may say, you've got a better shot of making the most money possible in the Big Apple than you do nearly anywhere else in this country. Maybe that money won't buy you the 3,000sf starter mansion here that it will down in Virginia - but chasing Dale Earnhardt bumper stickered DUI suspects for the Midlothian PD will NEVER buy you anything close to that!

Is this fact somehow lost on the southern transplant ex-pats or do you all realize that what bought most of you such a nice (subjective, couldn't pay me a million dollars to live south of the Mason-Dixon) lifestyle is the experience and opportunity earning a living in New York afforded you?

Be honest with yourselves. Do you really think you would have done as well by this point in your lives if you were a product of the community you now live in? If you transferred jobs (as opposed to retiring), does the salary in your field increase at the same rate it would have up here? Probably not. So even though you're making up the difference in cheaper COL, you never would have stacked up the equity that allowed you to make the move to bigger-n-better from LI in the first place as a native Tarhole!

Would you ever have gained the skills you gained here, in a ridiculously fast-paced and cut-throat competitive environment chillin' on the porch every night and drivin' the pickup to ye olde community business park for 20 years? Get real! New Yorkers have better work ethic and keener instincts. We all know this and employers do too.

That is the reason you move to Long Island: so you can accumulate enough wealth to one day cash it in on a "top-rated schools" relocation hotspot in "the New South" with all the other migrant sell-outs (I use this term in the most loving way, I assure you), if you so choose... or to stay here and give your kids that same option one day while enjoying all the good aspects LI still has - and hopefully continues - to offer.

No disrespect intended - people relocate! It's a smart move for some, it works out well. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, but at the same time you should all be bending down on your knees and sucking Long Island's DONG instead of trying to pretend you pulled anything more than a little fish/big pond---->big fish/little pond maneuver while claiming LI as an "also ran".
That is my #1 favorite post on LI CD of all time. (My #2 favorite is one of yours, twingles!)

Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Lebanon, KY?

The Turtleman - Call of the Wildman - Visit Lebanon

HOME - Turtle Man

It may get overcrowded there real soon! Turtleman's series is a big hit on Animal Planet!
Nope! Heck, that's Brooklyn, as far as I'm concerned!

(Where have you been? I'll bet I can argue with you as good as that other guy you've referred to! )

Old 07-10-2014, 05:38 PM

483 posts, read 670,481 times
OK I'll guess. Arkansas is where the Floridians are going to get away from Florida so I'll guess there for you.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
OK I'll guess. Arkansas is where the Floridians are going to get away from Florida so I'll guess there for you.
Close. My wife/sister is from there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island