Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 02:26 PM

157 posts, read 167,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I've already posted that I have an alternate route that will avoid the traffic. No, I am not sharing it here. Maybe I would have if you people were nicer to me.

This is my point, the forum is here to help one another. But it always turns into a pissing contest. Every thread doesnt matter the subject.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
Sounds like you need to find a job on Long Island, like me.
I got you beat. I get to work from home if I have commuting issues! (NYC workers get this perk too).

Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Would it pay for some to go to Far Rockaway and pick up the subway there?
I took the train from FR for years into d/t NY, and never had a crime incident. Not saying it's a beautiful nabe, just saying in general. Keep in mind the train ride is looooooong, although there's an interesting view riding past the marshes. The Mott St. station was upgraded, and there's nice tile work now, an elevator, etc.

I used to take the N31/32 bus to FR, and once in a while when I had to bring the car I'd park in Lawrence and walk to the station 1/2 a mile.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:09 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittodon View Post
This is my point, the forum is here to help one another. But it always turns into a pissing contest. Every thread doesnt matter the subject.
First of all, when other posters have been completely rude to me every time I post, I see no reason to do them any favors. It is clear that they disagree with my lifestyle and are going to be rude to be no matter what. Secondly, when I know of a route that has light traffic since most people aren't aware of it, I would not want to post about it on the internet, since then everybody will know about it, and it will no longer have light traffic.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:10 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I got you beat. I get to work from home if I have commuting issues! (NYC workers get this perk too).
Good for you. But based on other posters on this thread, that is clearly not the norm in NYC.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:24 PM

157 posts, read 167,123 times
Quote:
First of all, when other posters have been completely rude to me every time I post, I see no reason to do them any favors. It is clear that they disagree with my lifestyle and are going to be rude to be no matter what. Secondly, when I know of a route that has light traffic since most people aren't aware of it, I would not want to post about it on the internet, since then everybody will know about it, and it will no longer have light traffic.
Ok OK no need to argue with me as well. Maybe you getting into arguments with everyone on here has less to do with them and more to do with say, oh I dont know... some common denominator?

Old 07-05-2014, 02:08 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
And we all argue here when our real enemy is the LIRR and their indifferent employees.

Take it out on the conductors because they are the face of the LIRR..let them start complaining that riders arent happy.

Let them wait for your ticket.

A very long wait...twll them you have to find it.

Also remind them that you didnt appreciate the strike.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Do you really think you're the only person on LI that knows of your particular special route? Are they private roads that say "Mits Only!"? Please, I'm sure many others will be taking this route (a) if there is a strike and (b) if it impacts traffic out on LI where you work.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittodon View Post
Ok OK no need to argue with me as well. Maybe you getting into arguments with everyone on here has less to do with them and more to do with say, oh I dont know... some common denominator?
I see you are becoming familiar with what we call The Vortex. The Vortex likes to turn everything into the same old circular argument ... working on LI is absolutely perfect; working in NYC is absolutely terrible. Prepare to think in only B&W if you want to deal with The Vortex. Full color thinking is not allowed!

Old 07-06-2014, 04:20 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm hoping to hear from people who actually use the LIRR to commute to/from work and/or go into NYC for entertainment or visiting friends/family and NOT the usual crew who love to troll around making ignorant and snarky remarks.

So, it's being said that a strike is almost sure to happen because the already-overpaid employees are whining that they want more, more, more in addition to their double-pensions, free medical, huge salaries, etc. They said the strike may start in July but that the MTA is going to be mailing out (and charging) for the July monthly tickets that people signed up for autopay to receive each month. (I wonder if you can get a pro-rated refund if they go on strike??)

The news is telling people not to attempt driving in individually but to carpool and there will be many carpool sites where people can meet up and find others willing to carpool. I can't even imagine what the traffic will be like!!!! Other stories are telling people to just "take time off from work and stay home" (as if!). They're also saying to at least double the time you would normally set aside for your commute.

I know that if they go on strike, I will either work extra hours/less days and find a way to get to Queens and just take the subway from there.

Do you think they're going to strike? What is your contingency plan?

This was my original post. Instead of people pitching in to help one another and give advice and information, you always have the few usual posters who feel the need to "one-up" everyone or talk about their "secret alternate routes" that no one else on the planet knows about or how that's why they don't work in Manhattan or brag about how they will be working from home while the rest of us are struggling to find a way to get to our jobs so we don't have to use up our vacation and/or sick time.

Can we please HELP one another for a change??? I appreciate the comments from those who posted informative and helpful advice and I hope to see more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island