Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 AM

480 posts, read 668,946 times

Advertisements

NOTE: NORTH SHIRLEY IS WHERE WE WOULD BE INTERESTED MORE SO THAN SHIRLEY. For all of those who have seen my post in the past and who have told me to use the search function let's not finger-pointing. I have seen post about Shirley but I have specifics and feel that a new thread is important for this discussion especially since the post was about Mastic and why it's bunched in with Shirley. The reason being that I wanted to make a new thread which is a clean slate:

I was looking at a house yesterday with my fiancé in North Shirley. Colin Drive to be exact and we thought that the area was good. Not great but good. The specific home was in the 200,000 range. It was also very close to the LIE. I'm curious if anyone lives in the area and if they can give their honest opinion about the town in that area and the northern part of Shirley compared to parts that might be more south. Is this area more violent than other Suffolk areas let's say Riverhead?

I have searched Google and have looked up the crime data. I've seen much worse ratings in other towns.

When I tell people the name of Shirley they cringe. Doesn't really have that bad of a reputation? Should we be looking somewhere else? Thanks in advance to all the people who don't act childish in this thread.

Last edited by LIQUEST; 06-23-2014 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM

480 posts, read 668,946 times
Anyone reside in North Shirley?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
Grew up there, actually, And if you weren't so insufferable in every other thread ever, I might've actually told you something about it.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Actually I looked at the google maps today.
Satellite photos showed the "street view".
Some parts of look ok, others not so.
However it seems a cement factory is on the block.
One thing is for sure about that.
Loud cements trucks will drive up & down all day.
Everyone will have a different opinion though.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
NOTE: NORTH SHIRLEY IS WHERE WE WOULD BE INTERESTED MORE SO THAN SHIRLEY. For all of those who have seen my post in the past and who have told me to use the search function let's not finger-pointing. I have seen post about Shirley but I have specifics and feel that a new thread is important for this discussion especially since the post was about Mastic and why it's bunched in with Shirley. The reason being that I wanted to make a new thread which is a clean slate:

I was looking at a house yesterday with my fiancé in North Shirley. Colin Drive to be exact and we thought that the area was good. Not great but good. The specific home was in the 200,000 range. It was also very close to the LIE. I'm curious if anyone lives in the area and if they can give their honest opinion about the town in that area and the northern part of Shirley compared to parts that might be more south. Is this area more violent than other Suffolk areas let's say Riverhead?

I have searched Google and have looked up the crime data. I've seen much worse ratings in other towns.

When I tell people the name of Shirley they cringe. Doesn't really have that bad of a reputation? Should we be looking somewhere else? Thanks in advance to all the people who don't act childish in this thread.

Back in the 1970s the Pagan Motorcycle gang hung out there and it was tons of sleezy biker bars. Lots of scary white trash.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
The town of North Shirley is known for witches and vortexes

Of course you don't believe me, but search this forum for info

Or you can look up on google the witchcraft stores in the area

Living there may not be the best thing.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
The town of North Shirley is known for witches and vortexes

Of course you don't believe me, but search this forum for info

Or you can look up on google the witchcraft stores in the area

Living there may not be the best thing.
Don't steer him away, after all -- it's the gateway to the gateway to the Hamptons! A stone's throw from the beach, a drug dealer, a hooker; there's even cheap cigarettes on the Reservation.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
North Shirley?

lol

Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 AM

74 posts, read 231,872 times
I live in North Shirley, near the airport.

The entire area definitely has a bad rep. It's certainly not perfect but it's not the third world country that most people like to paint it as. Regardless of what some people may think, it's not an area filled with drug dealers, hookers, or white trash. My neighborhood is nice. My neighbors are respectful. I take my dogs for walks almost every night and I feel safe. There are lots of people out biking, running, walking their dogs, etc. I'm 10 minutes from Smithpoint and take advantage of that whenever I can. I don't have children so I can't comment on the schools but the specific area you looked at would be in the Longwood School District. I would also look into the Manor Park section of Mastic, specifically the area north of Grove. Technically it's Mastic but you'll be in the Eastport South Manor School Disctrict.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Back in the 1970s the Pagan Motorcycle gang hung out there and it was tons of sleezy biker bars. Lots of scary white trash.
They moved to Rocky Point. (Seriously, not a Rocky Point joke!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island