Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:47 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking for another small dog and had gotten the last 3 from a pet store in Huntington (on NY avenue) over the past 10 years. Unfortunately, 2 out of the 3 died young from disease which was heartbreaking. I have been checking the local shelters (first choice) but am looking for a hyoallergenic small dog (ieoodle, llasa, bichon) not too easy to come by in the shelters. DOes anyone know a place where I can get a dog that is not going to come from a puppy mill. Thanks-Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Check out rescue groups for the breed. Pet store puppies many times are from puppy mills, which can mean they are inter bred. Many have health problems and generic issues.
You might want to post something in the pet section in CD forum. There is a thread there about buying pet store puppies.

Not sure if they do this there but the SPCA where I use to live would call you if they got in a dog that met your criteria.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:27 AM

15 posts, read 65,004 times
Unhappy No pet stores!

Please please please don't buy from a pet store. Even a very nice pet store that takes great care of their puppies gets them from a puppymill. They may not even know it since puppymill dogs are usually purchased through broker middlemen to hide where they come from. Most shelters will put you on a list if you are looking for a specific type of dog and as mentioned in a previous reply, you should try researching rescue groups, especially if you have experience with the breed you are looking for.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:32 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyalee9 View Post
Please please please don't buy from a pet store. Even a very nice pet store that takes great care of their puppies gets them from a puppymill. .
This is SO true. Everytime someone buys a puppy from a pet store it makes room for ANOTHER puppy from a puppy mill - and sentence the breeding dogs to a life of endless puppy production.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/get_the_facts_on_puppy_mills/ (broken link)

http://www.caps-web.org/puppy_mill_faq.php?gclid=CMbbnfy7spACFQOkHgodI0kmF g (broken link)

Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,077 times
go to petfinder .com they have thousands of rescue groups/shelters all over the country.Just type in your zip code and you're bound to find something.Please don't buy when theyre are millions of dogs in shelters who get put down because no one wants them.Good luck.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Hi. I am looking for another small dog and had gotten the last 3 from a pet store in Huntington (on NY avenue) over the past 10 years. Unfortunately, 2 out of the 3 died young from disease which was heartbreaking. I have been checking the local shelters (first choice) but am looking for a hyoallergenic small dog (ieoodle, llasa, bichon) not too easy to come by in the shelters. DOes anyone know a place where I can get a dog that is not going to come from a puppy mill. Thanks-Amy
Contact Save-A-Pet in Port Jeff Stn. (This is a rescue, no kill shelter) The volunteers there would be happy to put you in touch with rescue groups or they might even have the hypoallergenic fur baby you are searching for.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions-I called a shelter about an adorable fur baby I saw on Petfinder and filled out another application for a rescue that works with Bichons. I don't have the heart to go to another pet store. I am going to go the rescue route, I think it is just going to take more time. Thanks-Amy

Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 AM

630 posts, read 1,873,933 times
We rescued two mini schnauzers from mini schnauzer rescue of new england, great experience,have had them for two years,if you have the time to train and exercise them they're loyal pets and GREAT guard dogs!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:57 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
I know you will find one through petfinder.org. There are many purebreeds up for adoption that need homes.

Also try Craiglist, LI. I think you will give a homeless doggie a great home. Please do not buy from ANY pet store.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Here you go.. a link.. One rescue group has min pins. You can change the search..
http://search.petfinder.com/search/s...mithtown%2C+Ny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: