Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:07 PM

85 posts, read 432,398 times

Advertisements

it's a shame b/c port washington is one of the places we really wanted to live in b/c of its close proximity to the city, (use to be) decent schools, and a nice overall feel. we looked at syosset as well and felt it wasn't comparable even though you get more for the price and the schools are much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 04:10 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,855,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
i can't believe there are gangs in port washington! that is ridiculous.

I'm afraid so:
http://www.antonnews.com/portwashing...05/03/25/news/

Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Wow, that is some article.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,972,704 times
Oh my GOSH! As someone who grew up on LI, and only permanently moved out about 5 years ago, I'm shocked at all this talk about "bad areas" of Port.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
where are all these people coming from? is it really a result of the section 8 housing? what were officials thinking? and why didn't the community fight against it? i mean, not to sound like a total *you know what*, but if you cannot afford to buy a house in a nice area, then maybe you shouldn't live there. it really annoys me how all the housing projects are by the water in NYC. it's prime real estate and people living there don't even appreciate it. what's worse is when people move into a decent neighborhood and ruin it.
Actually the Section 8 consists mainly of Black people and they really haven't been much of a problem in Port. They've lived in Harbor Homes since the late 60's/early 70's when it was built (probably had to do with some effort to integrate the suburbs)

A bigger problem is with the illegals living in rentals in Manorhaven and in housing adjacent to Harbor Homes. They live 10-20 to a house and split the rent. Many are day laborers that cut lawns and work construction in the area. Many now have brought their children with them to Port and.... well you get the picture.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Oh my GOSH! As someone who grew up on LI, and only permanently moved out about 5 years ago, I'm shocked at all this talk about "bad areas" of Port.
Bad is relative term. It's not Detroit or Compton by any means, but for what we pay in housing prices and taxes it should be Mayberry!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Bad is relative term. It's not Detroit or Compton by any means, but for what we pay in housing prices and taxes it should be Mayberry!
Hey, I grew up in Great Neck. Spent much time in the surrounding areas (including Port). The very idea that there is a discussion about the "bad areas" of places like this leaves me stunned.

There's no love lost between myself and LI (to say the least), but "gang issues" was not something even remotely in my radar when I lived there.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
it's a shame b/c port washington is one of the places we really wanted to live in b/c of its close proximity to the city, (use to be) decent schools, and a nice overall feel. we looked at syosset as well and felt it wasn't comparable even though you get more for the price and the schools are much better.
I wouldn't be scared away, just be really careful about where you buy and keep in mind that down the road you may have to send your kids to private school. Port has many advantages and is still a great place to live.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Hey, I grew up in Great Neck. Spent much time in the surrounding areas (including Port). The very idea that there is a discussion about the "bad areas" of places like this leaves me stunned.

There's no love lost between myself and LI (to say the least), but "gang issues" was not something even remotely in my radar when I lived there.
It's happening all over. Even the quiet place where I grew up in the Great Lakes/Midwest is starting to have issues. It's just most people are not aware of things that go on in their local community.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
It's happening all over. Even the quiet place where I grew up in the Great Lakes/Midwest is starting to have issues. It's just most people are not aware of things that go on in their local community.
Regardless, it still leaves me shocked to hear about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island