Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times

Advertisements

I wish some people on this board would tone it down a bit. Port has some problems but at this rate some people are going to get the wrong impression that it is a slum. This could cause a decline in property values and accelerate some of the changes. You got out, fine; but don't make it worse for the rest of us by exaggerating some of the problems.

Not all the news is bad, even in terms of race. The Port Washington School District has remained about 70% White for many years and the overall population of white students continues to rise, so don't make it out like the PWSD is experiencing white flight, it clearly isn't. The Hispanic population is rising but only at the same rate of the white population.
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0404030000.pdf

Also, I've haven't noticed many of the Persian Jews you are talking about in Port. That seems to be more of a Great Neck/Manhasset thing.

And what's this thing about White Trash? There are no white trash in Port. Do you consider anyone who doesn't own a home to be white trash?

Man, I regret saying anything about illegal aliens, people have gotten carried away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 PM

127 posts, read 521,200 times
If my husband and I believed that this town is on its way out, we wouldn't have spent several hundred thousand dollars (yes, several hundred thousand -- not a couple, not a few) renovating and expanding our home. We just as easily could have moved to any number of towns, but none of them come close to Port in terms of convenience, charm and friendliness. Although I am sure there are bad eggs among the good, the Hispanic people I know are here to make a better life for themselves and their children, many saving for, and eventually buying, homes here in town (and yes, the majority in Manorhaven).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I believe that Port Washington is a GREAT town.

One fact Joe L seems to miss is that Great Neck and Manhasset, like countless other areas, are of changing demographics -- just like many other parts of New York where there were once Jews and synagogues -- and those synagogues were either knocked down to make room for other buildings, or converted into Christian houses of worship. However, you'd be hard-pressed to find Jews railing on about how "the Christians" are destroying their synagogues. Unless, of course, their synagogues are being defaced and desecrated for the mere fact that they're Jewish buildings. Or "good" Christians throwing rocks at, and spitting on, their children, and calling them Christ-killers and dirty Jews. Which could lead me to telling you about my experiences living amongst Italian and Irish Catholics, only I'm way above letting these things run the rest of my life.

I am so done with this forum. Goodbye, and good luck to (almost) all of you.

Last edited by TheSeventhBrady; 12-19-2007 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,051 times
All I'm going to say is that the whole Manhasset, Port Washington. Great Neck area is way too crowded for me. Its worse than driving into some parts of Queens. Northern Boulevard was jam-packed every time I've been up there.

Nothing like being stuck between lots of expensive cars driven by very arrogant people. Give me my Deer Park Avenue with its pick-ups, muscle cars and real Americans any day.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Thread under review. Temporarily closed.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:48 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I am reopening this thread but anymore racist comments or hate speech and the thread will be closed. If you can not post something regarding the original post, then do not post..

Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 PM

155 posts, read 457,986 times
I am from Douglaston and am moving to the Port. First of all, the area, like any area has its problems, secondly it is a great town with great schools and has amenities connected to the water and its convenient proximity to NYC. They are fixing the waterfront and some other town plans are underway. If we have illegal aliens or illegal rental activity going on then I think we would need to look to the elected officials or police and ask them why we have illegal aliens or illegal rentals in the Manorville or any other area. The area is contained enough whereas the local police should be able to control it if need be. Thirdly we can run but can't hide; we are living in an era when illegal aliens are out of control and allowed to live in all different areas in the US and many different areas of long island. Its apparently part of our greed that allows these people to live in these areas to provide cheap labor. Like any other area in the US, it has changed by the hands of our own goverment policy. The bottom line is that PW is a great area that has a lot to offer but also has it fare share of problems and the local officials should address those problems.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
My father's family came from Port Washington and to this day it remains a very nice and very expensive area overall. The bombastic outcries from a few do sometimes get highlighted on these boards. And the opinions on their own seem to nullify each other...if a logical person reviewed these comments they might note that it can not be both a growing flashpoint for immigration issues and gangland warfare (this makes me laugh out loud) and too congested with arrogant soccer moms driving their kids (of any faith or religion) to their private tutoring session in their fully accessorized Lexus truck. From a teaching standpoint, having some friends in the district, it is VERY competitive, as an area with that level of affluence might be.

Thirty years from now there will be people who moved into an area present day lamenting that the lithuanian catholic gay married couples are all moving in and destroying their neighborhood...just like past residents complained when they moved in. Sometimes we take too romantic a view of "how things were". My only concerns for an area remain support for strong schools and keeping up the neighborhood...you could be Purple with polk-a-dots and worship the devil otherwise. Port Washington is a nice area.

P.S. No offense to any lithuanians of gay/catholic descent (sarcasm moderator )

Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
I been saying the MS-13 garbage is in PW for years, Moderator cut: comment
They hang out but the train station and Manorhaven, bar beach during summer. They mostly run drugs and threaten landlords in Manorhaven and Manhasset isle.

Its gottem worse since that news clipping, they now out number the PW police and Suozzi wont let the Nassau county cops touch them (doesnt want to offend hispanic voters).
LaMottas marina had to put up 16 cameras !

-Joe L

I bet it is worse in Glen Cove though. PW seems like a pretty nice area to me, the new Stop & Shop area is nice as well as the downtown. The only "bad" areas are a few blocks in Manorhaven and Port Washington South where the illegals are. The problem is certainly more widespread in Glen Cove, and especially in my town, Westbury.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa62 View Post
I am from Douglaston and am moving to the Port. First of all, the area, like any area has its problems, secondly it is a great town with great schools and has amenities connected to the water and its convenient proximity to NYC. They are fixing the waterfront and some other town plans are underway. If we have illegal aliens or illegal rental activity going on then I think we would need to look to the elected officials or police and ask them why we have illegal aliens or illegal rentals in the Manorville or any other area. The area is contained enough whereas the local police should be able to control it if need be. Thirdly we can run but can't hide; we are living in an era when illegal aliens are out of control and allowed to live in all different areas in the US and many different areas of long island. Its apparently part of our greed that allows these people to live in these areas to provide cheap labor. Like any other area in the US, it has changed by the hands of our own goverment policy. The bottom line is that PW is a great area that has a lot to offer but also has it fare share of problems and the local officials should address those problems.

It all starts with us. Stop hiring landscapers, they employ most of the illegals. If no one hires them, they will go away.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:41 PM

I was in Manorhaven several years ago by the park, it didn't seem bad at all. Has it changed that much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island