Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times

Advertisements

The ulterior motive is to teach you speeders to slow down.

The next is mobile speed cameras in all the speeding locations.

Cant wait till they gps every car and slam you terrible speeders.

It will happen one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 01:21 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The ulterior motive is to teach you speeders to slow down.

The next is mobile speed cameras in all the speeding locations.

Cant wait till they gps every car and slam you terrible speeders.

It will happen one day.
I'd agree with you if this was a widespread effort across the Island, and, if the funds collected from this endeavor were then completely reinvested into traffic safety programming and equipment (such as speed bumps, speed signs).

However, it's not.

A fine slaps someone on the wrist, it does not prevent them from speeding. Installing speed bumps or some other measure (I'm not an transportation expert/urban planner, but, you get the gist), to effectively stop the car from speeding / stop it in its tracks, is a preventative measure. IMHO, even sending someone to a really obnoxious traffic safety class for the day rather than just hitting them with a $80 fine would be more effective.

That is, if we are, again, referring to this program entirely as a means to safeguard school-age youth attending schools in the area and highlighting the importance of pedestrian and traffic safety.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:30 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
This is just another way to raise revenue, was there a problem in school zones and what about speeders outside of school zones, do they not also jeopardize student safety. Hard to argue against protecting students but this wasn't for the kid's, this was about being unwilling to address structural budget shortfalls. Seems like this was a solution in search of a problem, were there statistics to demonstrate that this was a safety issue.

The two counties are running out of gimmicks.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 AM

126 posts, read 222,114 times
I would like it if they would also invest in "End School Zone" signs like the rest of the U.S. has. It's annoying having to guess when you can pick the speed back up. Also it would be nice to know when you can stop mentally chastising the person behind you that is tailgating, leaning on her horn, and sometimes even passing illegally once you are 3 feet past the school crosswalk.
Anyone ever noticed that some of the worst speeders seem to be the minivans pulling into/out of the school parking lot? I guess they don't realize that other people may be on foot.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
I'd like for them to study this issue. If after a year, there aren't any less children who get hit by cars around their school, they should GET RID OF THE CAMERAS! The county has to figure out another way to get money other than from its resident taxpayers!!!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I'd like for them to study this issue. If after a year, there aren't any less children who get hit by cars around their school, they should GET RID OF THE CAMERAS! The county has to figure out another way to get money other than from its resident taxpayers!!!
When is the last time you heard of a child being hit in a school zone? I think the last person but was actually a teacher (Roslyn? Glen Cove?). Most kids on LI take the bus or are safely tucked away in their parents' car.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
To be fair, school speed limits have always been those hours (signs are original) so they haven't adjusted it for the cameras. They've only added a rectangular white sign notifying us of the camera enforcement. What I'd like to see are flashing lights in all school zones signifying where it starts and ends. Sometimes it's too late by the time you see the lowered speed limit sign and people jam on their brakes making for a more dangerous situation.
True! But they wouldn't be able to give out nearly as many tickets if that happened.

Mangano's "no raising of taxes" campaign promise at work. The cure (unfair and unregulated money grabs) is much worse than the disease (getting it over with and raising property taxes $50 to $100 or so per YEAR on each property in the County).

Old 09-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
I would like it if they would also invest in "End School Zone" signs like the rest of the U.S. has. It's annoying having to guess when you can pick the speed back up. Also it would be nice to know when you can stop mentally chastising the person behind you that is tailgating, leaning on her horn, and sometimes even passing illegally once you are 3 feet past the school crosswalk.
Anyone ever noticed that some of the worst speeders seem to be the minivans pulling into/out of the school parking lot? I guess they don't realize that other people may be on foot.
True! I am experiencing the same thing. More and more I am paying attention to the signs on both sides of the roads and when on one side using my memory of where the sign actually is on the other side to attempt to gauge that.

Meanwhile, with all this speedometer watching and mental calculations of where the zone ends, if some kid actually DID step out in front of us, nobody is going to even notice him ... they'll only feel the "bump" as they go over him.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Why punish the already strapped homeowner when there is an opportunity to punish speeders?

You break the law, you pay. Get use to it

Its coming to a neighborhood near you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Just charging speeders a fine lacks imagination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Why punish the already strapped homeowner when there is an opportunity to punish speeders?

You break the law, you pay. Get use to it

Its coming to a neighborhood near you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why should the punishment of speeders be only money-related?

I think a much more effective (and fun!) way to punish speeders would be to build stocks, pillories and prangers, with an "over the speed limit number" for each type of device at all major intersections painted with the word "SPEEDER" and lock speeders into them for several hours at a time!

For revenue, the County can have a stand selling rotten tomatoes and other noxious things to throw at the speeders in stocks, and, naturally, make it law that anything you throw at them has to be purchased from the County! Another idea to make money is for people to pay to be able to whip the speeders, say $3.00 per lash!

This would also turn the punishment of speeders into a nice, very low cost family outing for strapped homeowners! Great photo ops too! Instagram and Facebook would be blowing up!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island