Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

On numerous occasions I have witnessed people on the beach become really uptight for just about anything. I dont want to start a race issue here either but for the most part is mainly white folks (I'm caucasian by the way). I'll use yesterday's day at the beach for an example.

So I'm on Jones Beach field 6. I set up and kick back. In my vicinity there is a mid 30-ish white couple relaxing reading books. Every single time anyone around them spoke, laughed, or made any type of noise, they both stopped reading, looked up at one another and shook their heads. There was a group in the far distance playing some music and this couple kept mentioning that they hope the music players get a ticket for playing music on the beach. About an hour before I get set to leave a group of people in thier early 20's set up aside from them. While there they were all laughing and just having a good time/day at the beach. One guy was particularly louder than the rest because he had a deep voice with a loud laugh. Everytime he said anything or laughed, this couple became so annoyed. At one point the woman even slammed her book down and just took a walk.

Now my question is, if what you want is a quiet and peaceful relaxing day at the beach, why would you go to the most crowded section of the beach on a 90 degree day when school is out!? Surely you're going to encounter all types. Kids, music players, loud teens, etc. Why not go to a section of the beach that is less crowded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
I don't see uptight people much there but I agree that these kinds of people need to just go far away from everyone else. Whenever we arrive, I'm super conscious of the people we're setting up next to (they were there first after all) because we have kids and they may throw sand and make noise. I also make sure not to block their view with the umbrella. I can accommodate only so much though - if they're going to be upset over us just talking, then too bad for them.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
On numerous occasions I have witnessed people on the beach become really uptight for just about anything. I dont want to start a race issue here either but for the most part is mainly white folks (I'm caucasian by the way). I'll use yesterday's day at the beach for an example.

So I'm on Jones Beach field 6. I set up and kick back. In my vicinity there is a mid 30-ish white couple relaxing reading books. Every single time anyone around them spoke, laughed, or made any type of noise, they both stopped reading, looked up at one another and shook their heads. There was a group in the far distance playing some music and this couple kept mentioning that they hope the music players get a ticket for playing music on the beach. About an hour before I get set to leave a group of people in thier early 20's set up aside from them. While there they were all laughing and just having a good time/day at the beach. One guy was particularly louder than the rest because he had a deep voice with a loud laugh. Everytime he said anything or laughed, this couple became so annoyed. At one point the woman even slammed her book down and just took a walk.

Now my question is, if what you want is a quiet and peaceful relaxing day at the beach, why would you go to the most crowded section of the beach on a 90 degree day when school is out!? Surely you're going to encounter all types. Kids, music players, loud teens, etc. Why not go to a section of the beach that is less crowded?
I never understand what posts like this are supposed to accomplish? Do you expect the people you're talking about to be on this site to respond to your question? Do you expect us, who were not present and have no stake in this matter at all, to say what these people should have done?

We have no idea how loud people around this couple were. We have no idea what brought that couple to the beach yesterday. We have no idea why you spent so much of your beach day worried about what other people on the beach were doing.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I prefer quiet at the beach, so I find a quiet spot. I wouldn't expect people around me not to laugh. If you're on a "no radios" section of beach, you shouldn't have a radio on.

Around 10 years ago I went late one day to Jones Beach with my wife and some friends..specifically to avoid crowds. We were on a pretty empty spot. A few minutes after we get there, a bunch of people arrived who set up a flattened cardboard box on the sand, and the 3 teenaged girls starting dancing to Reggaeton in their bathing suits...as if club MTV beach day or something was being filmed...and their mother was there. It was like a having a little taste of the South Bronx here on LI. I couldn't believe people actually thought this was cool or that their parents thought it was acceptable. Maybe it is in the Domincan Republic?

After that we pledged never to go west of Robert Moses for a beach day. Just call me uptight, I'm hoping my young female nieces will be taught by their parents that at 16 you shouldn't be basically pole dancing in public.

Trash gets a reputation for a reason.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 AM

I've even witnessed someone get up and walk over to a lifeguard to rat on someone who was discretely drinking beer that he had in a cooler and was pouring it into a coffee mug to drink. Now if this beer drinker isnt causing any problems, why not just let him be?

I'd have to say that the worst has to be Long Beach. I've seen beach patrol walk up on random people and ask to inspect thier coolers. On one occasion they even woke up a gentlemen from his sleep and asked what was in his cup/cooler. This man became so engraged that he told the person to go F himself! LOL. It's nice clean beach but not worth the hassle of getting harassed.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I never understand what posts like this are supposed to accomplish? Do you expect the people you're talking about to be on this site to respond to your question? Do you expect us, who were not present and have no stake in this matter at all, to say what these people should have done?

We have no idea how loud people around this couple were. We have no idea what brought that couple to the beach yesterday. We have no idea why you spent so much of your beach day worried about what other people on the beach were doing.
That's why this is called a "forum". So that people can come here and post and other people can reply. Maybe there is someone here who is just like this couple and can explain why they would do the things I mentioned so that I can have a better understanding why someone would go to a crowded beach and be surprised when there are people around them who actually talk loud and laugh. Or kids who scream and people who are listening to music.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 AM

260 posts, read 450,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I prefer quiet at the beach, so I find a quiet spot. I wouldn't expect people around me not to laugh. If you're on a "no radios" section of beach, you shouldn't have a radio on.

Around 10 years ago I went late one day to Jones Beach with my wife and some friends..specifically to avoid crowds. We were on a pretty empty spot. A few minutes after we get there, a bunch of people arrived who set up a flattened cardboard box on the sand, and the 3 teenaged girls starting dancing to Reggaeton in their bathing suits...as if club MTV beach day or something was being filmed...and their mother was there. It was like a having a little taste of the South Bronx here on LI. I couldn't believe people actually thought this was cool or that their parents thought it was acceptable. Maybe it is in the Domincan Republic?

After that we pledged never to go west of Robert Moses for a beach day. Just call me uptight, I'm hoping my young female nieces will be taught by their parents that at 16 you shouldn't be basically pole dancing in public.

lol I have seen this too and will NEVER go to Jones. Nickerson for us...the $30 non resident price keeps the trash away.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post

I'll never understand why people complain about what other people choose to post about, on a public message board. Don't get it? DON'T REPLY. Stop wasting server space.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I'll never understand why people complain about what other people choose to post about, on a public message board. Don't get it? DON'T REPLY. Stop wasting server space.

I'll never understand people who complain about people complaining about people who are complaining.....

Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

That's why I go to Tobay and avoid Jones like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island