Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,453,434 times

Advertisements

You need a copy of your CLUE report.

Comprehensive Liabliltiy Underwritting report. It is what they base you policy rates on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 PM

592 posts, read 920,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2L8 View Post
Well, since they seem to be the best of an overall high-priced bunch nowadays, I guess I'm no longer "calling out" in a totally negative way, LOL. Except for the big premium hike in one year. :-/

Cambridge Mutual (a division of Andover). They insure in MA, CT, and NY. (not sure about which other northeast/New England states; I suspect they probably write in Rhode Island too, maybe others).
It's my understanding that Cambridge's rate filing increase was tied to the $2500 deductible (I have almost the same numbers as you). I am anticipating the same sort of increase for next year's renewal, at which point I will switch to my 3rd insurance company in my 5 years paying Homeowners insurance on LI.

By the way, State Farm's hurricane deductible may look good now, but it won't when they send in the tractor trailer shredders as they allegedly did during Katrina: Exclusive: Whistleblowers Say State Farm Cheated Katrina Victims - ABC News

Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM

659 posts, read 2,518,568 times
We have to renegotiate every year because the price increase is ridiculous and our agent usually gets them to reduce. If not they get us a cheaper company.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,894,290 times
Relevant to all this talk of hurricane / windstorm deductibles...

I had changed from one company to another because my old company had a 5% hurricane & windstorm ($28k) deductible whereas my new one is 5% hurricane and $1k windstorm. Thanks to the PDF link above, I've realized that anything category 2 and above, anywhere in NYS, triggers the hurricane deductible anyway. I'm not sure when the $1k windstorm (instead of 5%) would actually help me because a windstorm of category 1 (< 96mph) is not likely to damage anything. We didn't even have any problems with Sandy (Category 3 @ 115mph). I'm still saving money by switching, but I'm not that much better off in terms of coverage.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 PM

11 posts, read 8,933 times
which insurance agent do you use?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,894,290 times
btw, my renewal came up and they raised my dwelling coverage $15k and my premium by $150. I'm having "a talk" with him via email to see what can be done before I play the jump-around game. Not sure how much or if my auto will go up too since that hasn't come in yet.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 PM

63 posts, read 169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2L8 View Post
Well, since they seem to be the best of an overall high-priced bunch nowadays, I guess I'm no longer "calling out" in a totally negative way, LOL. Except for the big premium hike in one year. :-/

Cambridge Mutual (a division of Andover). They insure in MA, CT, and NY. (not sure about which other northeast/New England states; I suspect they probably write in Rhode Island too, maybe others).
I just received the sticker shock from Cambridge as well. Did you stay with them or did you move to another insurance because so far, I been getting even higher quotes from another insurance. Still waiting to hear from state farm and liberty mutual.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM

481 posts, read 666,453 times
Mine slowly going up 100 every year. You don't feel it. It was 1000 in beginning. After 7 years, it was 1600. I shopped around and I found the same coverage (liberty mut) for $900. I did the umberalla policy with auto insurance so I got a little break though. But without that it's like $1000.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 PM

622 posts, read 853,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william munny View Post
same happened to me. I switched and saved but my premium with the new company is still more than my pre-increase past plan. best part: my old carrier begged for me to give them another chance and to prepare a quote. I said fine and their quotes were 15% higher than the increase that got me to leave.

if I had more time I would write a letter to the superintendent of insurance/the NYS insurance department. I think they're on beaver street in Manhattan.
The problem with appealing to the NYS Insurance Department, is it's staffed by industry insiders, just like the NYPA. Why would they make waves when they'll only settle into a cushy position for one of the major carriers in a few years any way? You can see this in action at the Federal level, where Obama put an industry-insider at the helm of the FCC. In fact, the head of the FCC has no real communications background, he was a telecommunications lobbyist! Obama, no less.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 AM

344 posts, read 718,132 times
Mercury Insurance has been raising rates. Switched to Narraganset; brought the quote from $1900 to $1500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: