Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 PM

56 posts, read 141,871 times

Advertisements

We were interested in the Herricks School district, but many homes that we liked were within 1.5 miles from the schools. Which means that we were not eligible for the free school bus. I think it is ridiculous that after all the taxes you pay (and you pay a lot in Herricks), they cannot provide basic transportation? So you not only have to find a house within your budget, but now you have to ensure that it is more than 1.5 miles away? And there are 3 schools - elementary, middle and high school. So we have to calculate for all 3 schools?

My husband and I work in Manhattan, and we do not have the time to drop off our daughter to school and then drive in/take the LIRR to work and make it on time. Therefore, we had no option but to buy in New Hyde Park, near an elementary school. I'm just so disappointed and upset that our choice of school district was determined by the inability of Herricks to provide decent transportation. There is something wrong with a school district that does not pick up students from their home. We are hardworking, middle class families that have moved to LI simply for the school district. Once we get here, we have to face the rude shock that we not only have to pay a premium for the limited housing stock in NHP, but also exorbitant property taxes and then voila, no school transportation. THIS HAS TO CHANGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Don't know where you are from but that is the norm throughout Nassau County and it would not stun me in the least to see a further increase in the distance in the future. It is one way to keep from increasing the taxes even further.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
It's a state law, it has nothing to do with your school district. Don't like it move out of NYS (but I can tell you it's the same where I live for elementary school).

The only way around the rule is if you live in an area where it is deemed too dangerous for children to walk to school alone. But I will warn you, there is a pretty broad definition of that. Garden City used to be very lax about their bus transportation but then all of a sudden about 5-6 years ago they started cracking down on the rule. My guess is there was money involved but anywhooo.....there were kids that had to cross Nassau Blvd and even those kids did not have a "commute" that was deemed dangerous enough to require a bus.

By the way the distance is usually even farther for middle and high school.

If you see a house you like and think it should merit a bus due to safety concerns, contact the school in question and ask whether there is a bus available.

IT'S NOT GOING TO CHANGE. It's a state law. And as nuts noted above, there is so little money to go around already they aren't going to start shelling out for buses. Buses are VERY expensive and they aren't going to buy more.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:17 PM

122 posts, read 266,877 times
I live a mile away from Center St. School in Herricks and my kids have free bus service.
I believe 1 mile for elementary and middle and 1.5 miles for hs.

Best to call the school and ask.

Last edited by heuerfan; 07-05-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 08:15 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Here it is right from the horse itself and below is the Mineola transportation guide. The voters of the individual districts can alter the distances by special vote.

https://stateaid.nysed.gov/trans/requirement.htm

http://www.mineola.k12.ny.us/pages/M...Transportation

Not trying to be snarky, however since this was of such importance to you I am sorry that you would not have looked into this prior to purchasing your home.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,248 times
Wow, in my district (Half Hollow Hills) every student is entitled to bus transportation-- even if they literally live next door to the school. I always assumed that's how all districts on LI functioned, but I guess not...

Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,559 times
As was said prior, there is a state law setting minimum distances for busing and most school districts will set a vote to change those if residents want more coverage (such as all Kindergarteners get a bus).

Obviously, offering busing to every child, even those who live "next door" to a school, adds to the transportation costs in your district. By contrast, buses must be available to all who "qualify" even if no one from that area rides the bus (happens a lot with high schools where kids drive themselves and you see buses rolling in that are practically empty).

For those with no bus - you could put your child in before-school child care if they have it available in your school building and you'd be able to drive them to that before going to work. Same with after-school child care so you could pick them up after school. Or you could hire someone to bring/pick-up your child. I don't understand - what are you planning on doing with your kids if you aren't home from work no matter where you live, bus or no bus?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Wow, in my district (Half Hollow Hills) every student is entitled to bus transportation-- even if they literally live next door to the school. I always assumed that's how all districts on LI functioned, but I guess not...
What a colossal waste of money. Never ceases to amaze me what the people of that district will pay for. Buses are soooo expensive. I remember talking with another mom in GC, she was trying to get a bus for her kids - they also lived literally "next door" to a school but getting there still presented a safety issue. The cost for a bus when all is said and done (insurance etc) was like $200K.

Now in GC they hold so fast to the mileage rule that you have kids living next door to each other where one gets a bus and the other doesn't. Crazy.

As previously noted you'll have to look into before-school care.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 AM

71 posts, read 159,517 times
Thanks for letting me know this as it would be a consideration while buying. I have checked with Jericho & Syosset school districts & they have no such 'minimum distance restriction' for bus service for kids in their district.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,496 times
Default Herricks school pick up

Hi i am looking for someone who can pick my 2 girls from school and bring them home. My girls are in herricks middle school and center street school. Herricks middle school gets out at 2.50 pm and center street school (1.5 miles) away gets out at 3.15pm. My home is 3 minutes away from center street school. Please let me know how much you will charge per week.
Thanks
call me or text at 516-717-9626
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island