Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 PM

157 posts, read 167,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Ahh, I see your back into the thread. Yet you still don't answer why LIRR employees don't pay into their health care like everyone else pays a good portion into.

We know what a vital role it plays. What does that have to do with greedy employees wanting even more? The water district is pretty damn important. Maybe water district employees should shut down the water system and demand $500k each. Don't act like you have anything to do with a natural monopoly that was already here before you were born.

Only $87k huh? After benefits, what's that, $125k? The average Long Island median household income is about $87k. So making more than an entire family makes is not good enough. I see.
Your starbucks analogy is about as relevant as comparing conductors to nurses or doctors. Let's not derail this into a lesson on public vs. private sector salaries.

The riders, along with businesses, and everyone else in this state who pays taxes has everything to do with LIRR salaries. We're the ones paying it.

Here we go. The last contract the LIRR employees at the request of the MTA took a zero in exchange for free health benefits. This time they have agreed to pay retro actively back to 2010. We have free healthcare because we negotiated for it in exchange for wages

We are not asking for 500k we are asking for raises at the bottom of the industry average to keep pace with inflation and the comparable RR labor market.

Lets see base of 62 plus benefits is 80 plus 20 ot probably about 100 average. Your houshold median income doesnt include benefits so dont try and compare the two. Besides the household median income has nothing to do with what RR workers should be paid. Only what other RR's private and public and local similar crafts do however. Its called a valid comparator.

The riders and taxpayers have nothing to do with the salaries...NOTHING

Last edited by Dittodon; 07-10-2014 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 PM

429 posts, read 852,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittodon View Post
The LIRR is only about 7000 employees and the average salary after OT is 87k so I dont know where your numbers come from. The people riding the trains have absolutely no bearing on the salaries (unless they work in similar crafts). That is like saying the person at starbucks should get paid based on what the people who walk in make lmao. Its absurd and irrelevant to think as such.
My 80000 was a typo (was on the train). But a 17% raise in 6 years would bump the average salary up to $101,790. So, six figures. I'd love to see how much more money LIers are making now than they were in 2008. Bet it's not 17% more.

And I don't know how you think the amount your riders bring home from the city has no bearing. If there wasn't enough money coming in from rising fares, you wouldn't be getting paid.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
My 80000 was a typo (was on the train). But a 17% raise in 6 years would bump the average salary up to $101,790. So, six figures. I'd love to see how much more money LIers are making now than they were in 2008. Bet it's not 17% more.

And I don't know how you think the amount your riders bring home from the city has no bearing. If there wasn't enough money coming in from rising fares, you wouldn't be getting paid.
The riders pay has nothing to do with it. Does an plumber or a carpet cleaner charge by the work or what the person makes that is paying for it. Its a silly argument.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Your number is NOT salary its total compensation after working extra hours. Average salary is 62k

Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:

its from 2010 going foward to 2016 btw so they are not getting a 17% raise at signing and are giving back 2.5 into healthcare so its really 14.5% over 6

Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
its from 2010 going foward to 2016 btw so they are not getting a 17% raise at signing and are giving back 2.5 into healthcare so its really 14.5% over 6
Listen, the thing is we could argue forever about this. I actually am not opposed to the workers getting raises. What I am opposed to is unions in general, and I'm opposed to the unions forcing all employees to strike. If any of the employees were actually happy with what they were making, they don't even have the option to stay on the job. But aside from that, I fail to see what was so horrible about the MTA's offer. In my opinion, the strike can still be avoided by the Union countering the MTA's offer with something they can accept and then everyone is happy (until they raise our fares again). But no, heel have been dug in the sand and you said yourself - you at least partially hope a strike happens to prove to people how indispensable you all are. If the workers even slightly want the strike to happen, I can guarantee you the Union leaders are foaming at the mouths for a strike. It's garbage and it should be illegal.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:06 PM

519 posts, read 597,372 times
Quote:
The riders pay has nothing to do with it. Does an plumber or a carpet cleaner charge by the work or what the person makes that is paying for it. Its a silly argument.
A plumber charges what they can to get the job. Poor analogy, same with the starbucks employee. Private sector forces, such as supply and demand, determine those salaries. The LIRR salaries are determined by who can grease the most palms to get what they want. Apparently the unions can through using union dues to do the greasing. It has nothing to do with supply and demand.

Quote:
Here we go. The last contract the LIRR employees at the request of the MTA took a zero in exchange for free health benefits. This time they have agreed to pay retro actively back to 2010. We have free healthcare because we negotiated for it in exchange for wages

We are not asking for 500k we are asking for raises at the bottom of the industry average to keep pace with inflation and the comparable RR labor market.

Lets see base of 62 plus benefits is 80 plus 20 ot probably about 100 average. Your houshold median income doesnt include benefits so dont try and compare the two. Besides the household median income has nothing to do with what RR workers should be paid. Only what other RR's private and public and local similar crafts do however. Its called a valid comparator.

The riders and taxpayers have nothing to do with the salaries...NOTHING
Taxpayers and riders have everything to do with salaries. The LIRR is not a private sector company the last I checked.
Your 100 average is low and you know it. I got closer to $90k before benefits. Benefits should be included. You can't hide behind platinum benefits and pretend that isn't part of your salary. Of course it is. Don't undermine peoples intelligence.

You're not paying anything into healthcare and you're receiving retirement benefits unlike most in the private sector. Therefore you're well over median household income. Which means LIRR employees have some nerve demanding even more money or threatening a strike. The MTA should start posting help wanted's now and fire anyone who strikes. Period.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Your number is NOT salary its total compensation after working extra hours. Average salary is 62k
By the way, your argument is moot, because an audit earlier this year found that there's overtime fraud/abuse, as well: Audit claims overtime abuse at Metro-North, LIRR | New York Post

Boy, the LIRR workers just love to double-dip, huh?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Listen, the thing is we could argue forever about this. I actually am not opposed to the workers getting raises. What I am opposed to is unions in general, and I'm opposed to the unions forcing all employees to strike. If any of the employees were actually happy with what they were making, they don't even have the option to stay on the job. But aside from that, I fail to see what was so horrible about the MTA's offer. In my opinion, the strike can still be avoided by the Union countering the MTA's offer with something they can accept and then everyone is happy (until they raise our fares again). But no, heel have been dug in the sand and you said yourself - you at least partially hope a strike happens to prove to people how indispensable you all are. If the workers even slightly want the strike to happen, I can guarantee you the Union leaders are foaming at the mouths for a strike. It's garbage and it should be illegal.

I stopped reading at opposed to unions. I respect your opinion. Enjoy it

Old 07-10-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
A plumber charges what they can to get the job. Poor analogy, same with the starbucks employee. Private sector forces, such as supply and demand, determine those salaries. The LIRR salaries are determined by who can grease the most palms to get what they want. Apparently the unions can through using union dues to do the greasing. It has nothing to do with supply and demand.

Taxpayers and riders have everything to do with salaries. The LIRR is not a private sector company the last I checked.
Your 100 average is low and you know it. I got closer to $90k before benefits. Benefits should be included. You can't hide behind platinum benefits and pretend that isn't part of your salary. Of course it is. Don't undermine peoples intelligence.

You're not paying anything into healthcare and you're receiving retirement benefits unlike most in the private sector. Therefore you're well over median household income. Which means LIRR employees have some nerve demanding even more money or threatening a strike. The MTA should start posting help wanted's now and fire anyone who strikes. Period.

The agreed to pay into healthcare. Why cant you understand that. They are actually offering to pay more and retro actively then the MTA is asking for

Taxpayer and riders salaries have nothing to do with their salaries. End of story. The salaries used to compare to the LIRR were from private sector RR's as well as public. BNSF a private RR pays its conductors 62k base plus benefits in the midwest. The LIRR is 67. What some wallstreet tycoon or office clerk makes in manhetten is irrelevant.

The LIRR benefits are not as good as Transits and if youlook at BNSF a private RR they have the same co pays so its pretty much run of the mill health. Nowhere in its description does it say platinum lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island