Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 AM

413 posts, read 595,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
This strike is going to be the nail in the coffin for unions.

People are sick of paying these people off. Whether it be back door taxes, ridiculous fares, taxes on businesses, whatever. Beware the disgruntled taxpayers backlash.
Years and years and still waiting for the "backlash." Instead we get a faux-repub shill tea party focused on gay marriage and abortions. Less likely the coffin for the unions than another $ heaped on the Ponzi scheme that is public unions and their voting blocs enabled by weak willed politicians and fear of change nimbys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,658,490 times
Congress will not intervene. It was just announced.

Any strike now has the potential to be lasting now.

It will go till either side breaks.

The workers will want back to work before the MTA gives a hoot about its passengers.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,266,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Congress will not intervene. It was just announced.

Any strike now has the potential to be lasting now.

It will go till either side breaks.

The workers will want back to work before the MTA gives a hoot about its passengers.
But the longer the RR strikes the less $$ that comes in from passengers so wouldnt they want to just end it as soon as possible? They are being selfish. I mean what if I just said to my clients Moderator cut: language removed i want more $$ and leave them. It's wrong and something has to be done!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-09-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But the longer the RR strikes the less $$ that comes in from passengers so wouldnt they want to just end it as soon as possible? They are being selfish. I mean what if I just said to my clients i want more $$ and leave them. It's wrong and something has to be done!
Im not sure they care, hoping to break the unions is my bet.

Seeing that the LIRR loses money on every fare, not running trains and paying employees will save money

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-09-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 12:07 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,689,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
so its a giant union conspiracy?
That is not what I said or implied. Just that school buses may not be used to transport LIRR commuters.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:10 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,689,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
hmmmm as I recall during the NYCT strike, the MTA LIRR altered the schedule to make all local stop in queens & bk to accommodate the NYC folks....isn't that sort of being a scab?
I don't know and I don't care. I just related what I heard. You're shooting the messenger?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Wow,there is actually a test? The vast majority of it is a pure memorization that the average high school senior is capable of passing. There is a reason that working class people fall over themselves to get jobs like this.....
Knew a guy who left his job on Wall St to be a conductor. Wanted a no stress job with guaranteed pay and bennies.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Knew a guy who left his job on Wall St to be a conductor. Wanted a no stress job with guaranteed pay and bennies.
It's actually really good $$. I dont know what these clowns are complaining about. I could see it if they were being paid horribly but the LIRR pays its employees pretty well.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Im not sure they care, hoping to break the unions is my bet.

Seeing that the LIRR loses money on every fare, not running trains and paying employees will save money
So what happens now? Is all we can do just wait?

Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 PM

That's it.

You can pressure the Governor to get involved. He's a dope.

He said he was staying out because it was a federal matter, because of the RLA, today congress said its a local matter that belongs at the table.

I just saw on the news a that the MTA chairman didnt even show up to the negotiation meeting.

Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island