Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

You don't want a nice car for the train station. My wife's 2013 car has been scratched multiple times already. Parking spots are stupid tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I hope the conductors get a raise too. Maybe they can use the extra money and get their uniforms cleaned and start looking like professional trainmen again.
They will buy more little pins to decorate their hats!

Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittodon View Post
LOL double dipping haha you dont have a clue what double dipping is and what a pension actually is.
You are right, I would say the public sector union people are the experts on that. She also probably doesn't have a clue about how to position herself to take advantage of antiquated work rules for extra pay, boost pensions with phony disability claims, and how to steal her employer's raw materials to sell and make yet more money!

Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Cuomo said they are not allowed to increase the fares. Lets see if that actually happens.

That's some briliant leadership. Offer no solutions to dealing with the real problem (overpaid employess), and saddle someone else with a constraint you yourself aren't capable of upholding.

What an arrogant clown.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That's some briliant leadership. Offer no solutions to dealing with the real problem (overpaid employess), and saddle someone else with a constraint you yourself aren't capable of upholding.

What an arrogant clown.
This whole little "play" the head of the MTA, the union negotiator and Cuomo put on for the public reminds me of a Three Stooges episode:

Larry (MTA head) and Curley (union negotiator) do not agree and are fighting. Moe (Cuomo) steps in, scolds them, and bashes their heads together! Problem solved immediately! Suddenly they agree! I bet they even followed an old Three Stooges script for this performance!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This whole little "play" the head of the MTA, the union negotiator and Cuomo put on for the public reminds me of a Three Stooges episode:

Larry (MTA head) and Curley (union negotiator) do not agree and are fighting. Moe (Cuomo) steps in, scolds them, and bashes their heads together! Problem solved immediately! Suddenly they agree! I bet they even followed an old Three Stooges script for this performance!
The picture in my mind this created actually made me laugh out loud.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If you are happy in Carolina good for you but i think it's pretty sad that you let an MTA tax drive you out. No doubt the MTA bites the big one but it's not enough for me to just get up & leave.

It's expensive here but certainly do-able if you are good about saving & spending. We dont go on extravagant vacations or buy expensive luxury items so that is how we are able to stay here. I'm not saying everyone who left did that.

MTA is what it is. They suck but we need them.
As usual you are lacking in reading comprehension. If I were speaking I would speak slowly. Since this is written,take your time, go back over if it you need to. No surprise you are stuck in a low level job where you'll get fired for not coming in for catastrophic reasons.

No where did I try to convince csteen to live somewhere else. No where did I say paying the MTA tax was THE reason we've left. If you think that it's OK for businesses to subsidize the MTA, it's because you're a low level worker bee who can't think outside the box. It's OK. Someone has to do it.

You've said you aren't going to have kids ( to that) and people who have kids and those who don't are living in two different worlds. csteen said she wants to start a family. It's not going to get any easier to make ends meet once she does.

I lived with 3 kids and one car for 5 years. I don't use credit cards and have no debt (including no mortgage). We have one sub$200 a month car payment. We aren't living in luxury by any stretch of anyone's imagination. But we do plan on retiring someday and plan to enjoy the money in our own pocket until that day comes.

If YOU'RE happy on Long Island, good for YOU. But I responded to a post lamenting the state of how things are there. I'm not trying to convince anyone to leave and trust me I don't want anyone like you moving anywhere NEAR NC so in that regard your feelings are a win-win for us both. My post was not intended for happy campers like you.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The COL in the NYC area is terrible.

Having said that, you have to think out of the box. if you are a 2-income couple, and one of you takes the LIRR to Manhattan, or if you are a 1-income couple with the breadwinner commuting to Manhattan, can you manage with one car? Because if you can, the lack of a second car (insurance, depreciation, repairs, etc.), more than offsets the outrageous monthly commuter fare.

Or if you really need a second car, perhaps a fully-depreciated station car clunker would fit the bill. There's no law that says you have to have two great cars.
We only had one car for the first year we lived on LI. That's exactly how I figured it - that the train ticket plus metro card was equivalent to a car payment plus maintenance plus insurance. We did end up buying a new car and keeping the old one, but it was more of a "nice to have" than a neccesity.

I agree that kids are very expensive wherever you have them. Not at first, but by 3 or 4 years old you're spending a lot. There's childcare (whether it's an expense or an opportunity cost because one parent stays home) and nursery school and activities and clothing etc. Food isn't a big deal at first but now each of my kids eats more than me and we have more than a decade before college! And you should start a 529 plan too -- all while saving for your own retirement.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
As usual you are lacking in reading comprehension. If I were speaking I would speak slowly. Since this is written,take your time, go back over if it you need to. No surprise you are stuck in a low level job where you'll get fired for not coming in for catastrophic reasons.

No where did I try to convince csteen to live somewhere else. No where did I say paying the MTA tax was THE reason we've left. If you think that it's OK for businesses to subsidize the MTA, it's because you're a low level worker bee who can't think outside the box. It's OK. Someone has to do it.

You've said you aren't going to have kids ( to that) and people who have kids and those who don't are living in two different worlds. csteen said she wants to start a family. It's not going to get any easier to make ends meet once she does.

I lived with 3 kids and one car for 5 years. I don't use credit cards and have no debt (including no mortgage). We have one sub$200 a month car payment. We aren't living in luxury by any stretch of anyone's imagination. But we do plan on retiring someday and plan to enjoy the money in our own pocket until that day comes.

If YOU'RE happy on Long Island, good for YOU. But I responded to a post lamenting the state of how things are there. I'm not trying to convince anyone to leave and trust me I don't want anyone like you moving anywhere NEAR NC so in that regard your feelings are a win-win for us both. My post was not intended for happy campers like you.
When did I ever say I have a low level job??? On the contrary it's pretty high level. I still have a boss but I'm pretty up there.

Where did I say you were convincing csteen to live elsewhere? Seems you are the one with the comprehension problem? You don't need to speak slow, I live in NY, it's the Southerners who are the slow ones

You did say you left bc of the MTA tax. Maybe that wasnt your only reason but it was a reason. Also no one held a gun to yr husband's head forcing him to own his own business. While that is certainly admirable, dont like the taxes on yr business, then you have the option to work for someone else.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:56 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
I find it interesting to hear peoples thoughts and opinions as long as they don't go off course and take a personal turn due to misunderstandings or other issues. As the title states, "Please Play Nice, People".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island