Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,199 times

Advertisements

I used to work with a guy who commuted from Saddlebrook, NJ to Garden City, had to take the Cross Bronx everyday!

One of our top executives lives in Pearl River (Rockland County) and commutes to Garden City.

My boss commutes from South Salem (Westchester) to Garden City.

There are a lot of hypercommuters in our company.

My wife used to commute from Port Washington to Bay Ridge by train/subway, she had to give it up when we had kids, it was too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 AM

755 posts, read 1,079,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
bayside lirr will shave at least 30 min off the commute & be far more civil
at the time, cost of a metrocard along with a lirr pass would've bumped my commuting budget too high. Also, we considered people who take the LIRR to be rich snobs.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,074,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
at the time, cost of a metrocard along with a lirr pass would've bumped my commuting budget too high. Also, we considered people who take the LIRR to be rich snobs.

there is a drawback for either method of commuting

Basically, times is money.

30-45 min x round trip x 5 days a week=5-7.5 hrs a week....plus the aggravation of the Q12/13...and the 7 train which can be horrid at times. There is real wear & tear in a tough commute over long period of time. To some of my friends who lives in Bayside, it makes & break them to be home at 7pm verses 8pm to see their children....to each their own

Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 AM

1,110 posts, read 671,969 times
I did the Huntington to White Plains commute for a number of years. 50 miles each way so 50 minutes in the summer, 70- 90 minutes for the rest of the year, and 200 plus minutes when it rains enough to flood the Bronx River Pkwy.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM

755 posts, read 1,079,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
there is a drawback for either method of commuting

Basically, times is money.

30-45 min x round trip x 5 days a week=5-7.5 hrs a week....plus the aggravation of the Q12/13...and the 7 train which can be horrid at times. There is real wear & tear in a tough commute over long period of time. To some of my friends who lives in Bayside, it makes & break them to be home at 7pm verses 8pm to see their children....to each their own

I do agree. If today, I would definitely take the LIRR if I was still living in Bayside. I would take the LIRR if I was living on Main Street Flushing. The aggravation of the 7 isn't worth it anymore. I took it from High School, into my late thirties.

That's probably why I enjoy the Port Jefferson line nowadays, even if its still 1.5 hours. It's not the 7 train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island