Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 AM

43 posts, read 106,619 times

Advertisements

Wyandanch is bad. I had a friend who's in real estate and someone broke into the house that he was trying to sell in Wyandanch several times...in the middle of the day! I used to work in Roosevelt and I didn't like the way the area looked, even in the daytime. Everyone says Brentwood is bad...but I lived in a very nice area of Brentwood where the craziness was notably absent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Housing projects may be rare, (in a traditional sense but there are a few on LI) but that dosent mean there aren't plenty of homes in those communities that are designated section 8. They are getting the same assistance as those in the projects. In Huntington station for instance there are something like 75 homes all owned by the same guy and all have section 8 tenants. He makes a fortune.
That would be Pius. All of his Section 8 houses are not just in Hunt. Station. And he has various "corporations" named as owners, they're not all in his name. I believe he has a daughter who is in on it also. They bring in millions every year. Disgusting.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 PM

483 posts, read 670,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Housing projects may be rare, (in a traditional sense but there are a few on LI) but that dosent mean there aren't plenty of homes in those communities that are designated section 8. They are getting the same assistance as those in the projects. In Huntington station for instance there are something like 75 homes all owned by the same guy and all have section 8 tenants. He makes a fortune.

Don Pius, try moving that number up a little bit.

Slumlord of the week #2 «Village Tattler

Old 07-14-2014, 02:41 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Don Pius, try moving that number up a little bit.

Slumlord of the week #2 «Village Tattler
That it!! Thanks I'm not surprised I low balled the # of houses that slumlord owns.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,103 times
my opinion as it relates to "really bad" areas on LI:

Roosavelt
Hempstead
Uniondale
Central Islip
Wyandanch
Brentwood
New Castle

my opinion on "not nice" areas on LI:
Shirley
Mastic
Sound Beach
Pt. Jefferson Station
Bellport (North), but I personally won't consider any part of Bellport
Farmingville
Bay Shore
Islip Terrace (I heard it was attracting gangs)
Freeport (minus the nautical mile)

Old 07-14-2014, 03:42 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
my opinion as it relates to "really bad" areas on LI:

Roosavelt
Hempstead
Uniondale
Central Islip
Wyandanch
Brentwood
New Castle

my opinion on "not nice" areas on LI:
Shirley
Mastic
Sound Beach
Pt. Jefferson Station
Bellport (North), but I personally won't consider any part of Bellport
Farmingville
Bay Shore
Islip Terrace (I heard it was attracting gangs)
Freeport (minus the nautical mile)
I would say the bad part of North Bellport is the most ghetto neighborhood on Long Island (Nassau+Suffolk). Even worse than Wyandanch and Hempstead. I mean, I don't think the crime is all that bad but that area is just so ghetto! Tons of run down homes going for less than $100k, lots of empty lots and abandoned homes, dirt&weed lawns w/toys left out, hoodrats, illegal immigrants, ppl walkin up and down the street barefoot, middle of knowhere; it reminds me of an impoverished Deep South town. Just go on google maps to see what I mean.

Uniondale is a definitely a step up from Hempstead&Roosevelt. At least most of the ppl in Uniondale have the decency to keep their home&properties neat and well-manicured. Also, a lot of Uniondale's crime comes over from Hempstead, a good example of this was that pretty Hofstra girl who got killed by a cop during an armed robbery commited by a Hempstead man.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 07-14-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I would say the bad part of North Bellport is the most ghetto neighborhood on Long Island (Nassau+Suffolk). Even worse than Wyandanch and Hempstead. I mean, I don't think the crime is all that bad but that area is just so ghetto! Tons of run down homes going for less than $100k, lots of empty lots and abandoned homes, dirt&weed lawns w/toys left out, hoodrats, illegal immigrants, ppl walkin up and down the street barefoot, middle of knowhere; it reminds me of an impoverished Deep South town. Just go on google maps to see what I mean.

Uniondale is a definitely a step up from Hempstead&Roosevelt. At least most of the ppl in Uniondale have the decency to keep their home&properties neat and well-manicured. Also, a lot of Uniondale's crime comes over from Hempstead, a good example of this was that pretty Hofstra girl who got killed by a cop during an armed robbery commited by a Hempstead man.
Can you give some boundaries of where to look on Google Street views for the bad part of North Bellport?

I don't know LI "hoods" all that well, I'm only really familiar with Hempstead - a few weeks ago I took the long way back from Winthrop Hospital - we drove through Garden City and you definitely notice the difference when you cross over into Hempstead - I knew I was in the hood lol.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can you give some boundaries of where to look on Google Street views for the bad part of North Bellport?

I don't know LI "hoods" all that well, I'm only really familiar with Hempstead - a few weeks ago I took the long way back from Winthrop Hospital - we drove through Garden City and you definitely notice the difference when you cross over into Hempstead - I knew I was in the hood lol.
Between Sunrise and Montauk Hwy is the rough part of town

Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Between Sunrise and Montauk Hwy is the rough part of town
Thanks.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 PM

137 posts, read 272,531 times
I've heard that some crimes are not featured here; maybe active investigations or whatever, but it will give you an OK idea of what to expect in each area.

Long Island Crime & Police Reports - Newsday.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island