Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat123 View Post
And 50K salary will price you right out of these areas.
he never even confirmed his new salary....its all theory or was it fantasy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM

480 posts, read 669,206 times
Quote:
Taxes are crazy in Nassau. Can you afford that? From what I have read, you have been looking at condos in Yaphank. And 50K salary will price you right out of these areas.
My fiancé currently makes around the early to mid 40,000s.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM

56 posts, read 89,071 times
Ok, so you are hoping for a combined income of 90K if all goes well? Buying a 300K house, plus closing costs, and taxes WILL go up the second you move in....Im sorry, but you will be house poor.
And, again, this house WILL not be available in 2 years.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
My fiancé currently makes around the early to mid 40,000s.
I can tell you right now you are priced out. My fiance and I make more than that and we were priced out of houses in areas similar to that.

For the love of this forum, please stop using Zillow. Use MLSLI.
32 Elves Ln, Levittown, NY 11756 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

That last house. You mentioned this 70k you will be getting. (Really though, with everything else, you will need at least another 20k for incidentals and other fees)

I'm not very good at math, but this is a rough estimate.

Let's say you buy the house for selling price. $299,999. You give $70k. So now your mortgage is $229,999

Let's say you have a 4.5% interest rate on your house. That's about $860 a month for 30 years
Then add your taxes. They are about $9500 a year. That's about another $860 a month in taxes

Mortgage total each month is $1720 a month.

That doesn't include electricity, oil (this house has oil), water, maintenance, lawn care, emergencies. I could go on, but I'm sure many people have already.

And really, you need to consider your salary AFTER taxes. Both of you barely make 70k together. This house is out of your range and you will be house poor.

Seriously, talk to a mortgage broker or a bank. They can pre-approve you of an amount. It really isn't that hard to do!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:29 AM

413 posts, read 599,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I can tell you right now you are priced out. My fiance and I make more than that and we were priced out of houses in areas similar to that.

For the love of this forum, please stop using Zillow. Use MLSLI.
32 Elves Ln, Levittown, NY 11756 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

That last house. You mentioned this 70k you will be getting. (Really though, with everything else, you will need at least another 20k for incidentals and other fees)

I'm not very good at math, but this is a rough estimate.

Let's say you buy the house for selling price. $299,999. You give $70k. So now your mortgage is $229,999

Let's say you have a 4.5% interest rate on your house. That's about $860 a month for 30 years
Then add your taxes. They are about $9500 a year. That's about another $860 a month in taxes

Mortgage total each month is $1720 a month.

That doesn't include electricity, oil (this house has oil), water, maintenance, lawn care, emergencies. I could go on, but I'm sure many people have already.

And really, you need to consider your salary AFTER taxes. Both of you barely make 70k together. This house is out of your range and you will be house poor.

Seriously, talk to a mortgage broker or a bank. They can pre-approve you of an amount. It really isn't that hard to do!

Sounds like the ratio of 80% (yes, I made that # up, lol) of most Long Islanders. Most of us are house poor and busting hump paycheck to paycheck til the kids get through school and leave. Why should this dude be any different. Most of us are just one layoff away from being under water and we consider ourselves lucky for what we have. Gotta live somewhere and renting is a non-starter around here.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you are hoping for a combined income of 90K if all goes well? Buying a 300K house, plus closing costs, and taxes WILL go up the second you move in....Im sorry, but you will be house poor.
And, again, this house WILL not be available in 2 years.
You don't understand I'm not looking to buy this house now I'm just looking at where options could be if the prices status same or if they go up slightly. These houses I'm not looking to buy I'm just showing what type of houses we are happy to live in.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
You don't understand I'm not looking to buy this house now I'm just looking at where options could be if the prices status same or if they go up slightly. These houses I'm not looking to buy I'm just showing what type of houses we are happy to live in.
you're right, we don't understand. NOBODY conducts a house search in this manner.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you're right, we don't understand. NOBODY conducts a house search in this manner.
People are not understanding that I am not looking for homes in this area to buy now. I'm just looking to see what homes would be available in certain areas and I'm not looking to buy this actual house that I post or any other houses that I post because people keep on saying that it's not going to be available in two years. That's what people are misunderstanding.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Sounds like the ratio of 80% (yes, I made that # up, lol) of most Long Islanders. Most of us are house poor and busting hump paycheck to paycheck til the kids get through school and leave. Why should this dude be any different. Most of us are just one layoff away from being under water and we consider ourselves lucky for what we have. Gotta live somewhere and renting is a non-starter around here.
Why shouldn't this dude be different? Everyone is struggling on Long Island and if someone can avoid being house poor, than why not?

There's nothing wrong with saying if someone is going to be in over their head.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM

56 posts, read 89,071 times
Oh, I see. It must be me then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island