Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Long Island Rowing | LongIsland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 AM

34 posts, read 51,707 times
I looked at elementary schools on newsday and north shore schools seemed on park with manhasset and jericho for elementary. Does something happen in middle/high school that lessens the quality of education?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktroccoli View Post
I looked at elementary schools on newsday and north shore schools seemed on park with manhasset and jericho for elementary. Does something happen in middle/high school that lessens the quality of education?
The North Shore district has a more diverse socio-economic base than either Jericho or Manhasset is the biggest difference amongst the districts.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Off the top if my head, I'm don't remember the Newsday rankings, but North Shore is usually well below Jericho & Syosset. It's generally considered an ok, above average district but not top 10 like the other two. I'm not sure I would spend $1.5 mil on a house in the North Shore district. There were some recent discussions here about the district- if you do a search I'm sure the threads will come up. There was a lot of good information.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM

There was a beautiful sea cliff Victorian we saw for 2m. The community is adorable and the housing stock is more ny taste ( I love old houses) but the manhattan commute from Manhasset is unbeatable. It's quicker to penn than from our place in Brooklyn.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:55 PM

You have to decide what type of family life you want to establish on Long Island.

Manhasset and Sea Cliff are totally different in vibe as you've seen.

There are older homes in Manhasset - not necessarily Victorians - but you don't have the village vibe where kids can still walk to the candy store as did I 50 years ago.

The foundation of education begins at home.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:43 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
There was a beautiful sea cliff Victorian we saw for 2m. The community is adorable and the housing stock is more ny taste ( I love old houses) but the manhattan commute from Manhasset is unbeatable. It's quicker to penn than from our place in Brooklyn.
Once you're looking at commuting by train from the Sea Cliff area, I would look at houses in Cold Spring Harbor since the train ride is almost as long. And Cold Spring Harbor is a very cute, quaint town which might appeal to you. Cold Spring Harbor schools are better than North Shore schools as well.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Can you elaborate on the vibes? My husband and I are both laid back, working in creative fields and we like to spend time sailing and hanging on the beach. I take it manhasset probably has a lot of bankers?

I've heard that manhasset is less of a pressure cooker than jericho or Scarsdale? We only got that from word of mouth...

Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM

Also- are there a lot of two working parent households in manhasset and sea cliff? Or do stay at home moms prevail? Also...husband is Jewish/atheist but I didn't think that would matter so much in Nassau county!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the vibes? My husband and I are both laid back, working in creative fields and we like to spend time sailing and hanging on the beach. I take it manhasset probably has a lot of bankers?

I've heard that manhasset is less of a pressure cooker than jericho or Scarsdale? We only got that from word of mouth...
Don't know anything about Scarsdale, but Manhasset is less of a pressure cooker than Jericho.

Sea Cliff has always been known for creative types........writers, dancers, artists, musicians, advertising peeps, etc. Definitely more laid back.

Manhasset - yes, more white collar banker/Wall street types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island