Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 AM

34 posts, read 51,771 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking around Long Island to buy a house. We have two daughter 5 and 2, so schools are pretty important. We chose Long Island because my husband loves to sail (raced in regattas when he was in high school) and would like to join a sailing/yacht club. We would like our daughters to have this same access to sailing and would love any insight on yacht clubs and local sailing programs.

I also noticed that Manhasset has a middle/high school crew club. I did crew in college and most of my teammates had to go to a prep school to find a good rowing program so I was quite amazed that Manhasset offered this. Do any other public school districts have crew programs?

Other info- we're 36 and 39, live in Brooklyn, our limit for a home is $1.5m. I work in midtown and husband works in Soho. I'm not against Suffolk County as my husband's work lets him work from home on occasion and I don't mind the commute.

Thanks for the help! We love the sailing culture and the ability to live near the water! (We're near the water in BK, but well.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I know Huntington High School had a crew team a few years back, maybe Cold Spring Harbor as well. Huntington has a yacht club.
There should be plenty of sailing options along Nassau's North Shore; I had a friend in HS who took sailing lessons out of Northport and Oyster Bay, but that was many moons ago.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the response! I find most seaside towns have sailing teams now that I look into it, but glad to know that CSH and Huntington have crew teams. It makes sense, being so close to the water, but I imagine they're a bit harder to find funding for.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
LIRowing.org
http://www.sagamorerowing.org

For sailing, there's the Centerport Yacht Club.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I rent boats from The WaterFront Center | Sailing & Marine Education - Oyster Bay NY It seems like a good place to learn how to sail.

They offer a lot of sailing programs for both kids and adults. I can't vouch for the classes or the sailing camp for kids, but the staff seems pretty nice. Just make sure that you call and speak to a person (don't pay attention to their phone message) to verify their days and hours when they are open before going there. They tend to change their hours throughout the season and do not accurately update that information on their website or automated telephone message. I have learned that lesson the hard way.

As for sailing in Brooklyn, there used to be places south of Kings Plaza on Flatbush Ave.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:14 AM

57 posts, read 88,417 times
My uncle has a boat in Marine Park.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanks, we're taking a look at homes in manhasset and Sea Cliff this weekend. Sea cliff yacht club also looked good, and the feel of the community seems... Friendlier? Than manhasset. I'm not too sure yet.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:48 PM

214 posts, read 459,288 times
port washington has a crew team

Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 PM

384 posts, read 512,504 times
Growing up I went to summer sailing camp at Sagamore Yacht Club in Oyster Bay. Also, I regularly see crew teams practicing in the bay. So Oyster Bay could be a good choice.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:50 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktroccoli View Post
Thanks, we're taking a look at homes in manhasset and Sea Cliff this weekend. Sea cliff yacht club also looked good, and the feel of the community seems... Friendlier? Than manhasset. I'm not too sure yet.
Hope you're having fun with your search this weekend! With your budget I would definitely say Manhasset over Sea Cliff. Manhasset schools are far more highly ranked than North Shore schools- I would put quality of schools first and sailing/crew second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island