Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 8,535 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are in the process of buying a house in Massapequa Park. It is NOT within the village limits. What is the difference in not being in the village vs. the village? I already know what is stated on the Mass Pk website (zoning, roadwork, snow, trash, etc.) but didn't know if there was anything I was missing. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Village will prob have higher taxes b/c of the likely "village tax", which some places pay like Malverne for example and I think parts of Lynbrook and maybe Fdale and a few others.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Thank you. I know the taxes are nominally higher but didn't know if there was more.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:07 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,163,108 times
I grew up in Mass Pk on Avoca Ave. I always thought the entire town was the "Village of Massapequa Park". Is "the village" the area north of the train station where the "village" is? What defines the village vs. non-village?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I grew up in Mass Pk on Avoca Ave. I always thought the entire town was the "Village of Massapequa Park". Is "the village" the area north of the train station where the "village" is? What defines the village vs. non-village?
The only reason I know this is because the house we are buying has an address and zip for Mass Pk but didn't have village taxes listed so I thought there was a mistake. But she told us the area that is west of Carmans Rd and East of Park Lane is not village. Why? I have no clue. Search Mass Pk on google maps and you will see that area is not part of it.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 4,707,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag215 View Post
The only reason I know this is because the house we are buying has an address and zip for Mass Pk but didn't have village taxes listed so I thought there was a mistake. But she told us the area that is west of Carmans Rd and East of Park Lane is not village. Why? I have no clue. Search Mass Pk on google maps and you will see that area is not part of it.
It's technically east massapequa even though your address and zip says Massapequa Park. Confusing I know.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:02 PM

321 posts, read 592,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
It's technically east massapequa even though your address and zip says Massapequa Park. Confusing I know.
The area being described is in the Massapequa school district. My understanding is that East Massapequa is in the Amityville School District.

I am not 100% sure but I believe that the area being discussed is Massapequa but outside of the village limits. This is similar to Massapequa west of broadway and south of jerusalem... not in the village but still Massapequa SD.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:30 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,230,985 times
Part of MP is not in the incorporated village which means you pay some additional village taxes, and possibly private sanitation but most of this a wash as you avoid some TOB taxes. you can also get MP lirr parking pass without waiting on a list. A large part of Mass and MP is actually east Massapequa but is still Massapequa schools - east of Carman rd is the general cutoff for Mass/Amityville school districts.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:24 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,040,051 times
This thread so screams for Walters heavenly intervention.

You may be in the zip code of MP but you are not in the village. Biggest difference is you dont pay village taxes but, as one poster said, you can not get a village parking permit at tge station. If you or your husband commute that is a big plus.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 AM

5,266 posts, read 4,707,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
The area being described is in the Massapequa school district. My understanding is that East Massapequa is in the Amityville School District.

I am not 100% sure but I believe that the area being discussed is Massapequa but outside of the village limits. This is similar to Massapequa west of broadway and south of jerusalem... not in the village but still Massapequa SD.
Part of east massapequa is in fact in Massapequa School District (and the rest Amityville). In fact Massapequa High School is actually in East Massapequa.

And the post above is correct. The dearly departed Walter would have cleared this up immediately. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island