Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:46 PM

29 posts, read 47,297 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 8,556 times
I have lived in Levittown for 5 years (will be moving soon) and have nothing but good things to say about it. We are close to so much shopping and easy access to highways. We are selling and will be making a decent profit on our home so I think it's safe to say the values are rising. From what I have read and researched the schools are very good, MacArthur high performs better than Division (see greatschools.org and newsday puts out an extensive data report yearly) although my children are too young to have experienced it personally. There are also 9 (I think?) pools throughout Levittown that are included in your taxes. You just go and pick up a pass. Some things people will generally tell you when you mention Levittown: 1. no basements (almost exclusively) 2. oil burner in the kitchen (some have been relocated) 3. washer/dryer in the kitchen (may be relocated also)

Old 07-25-2014, 03:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
If you insist on limiting the commute to 30 minutes you will severely limit your options. Even 45 minutes would probably double your opportunities.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
I lived in Melville a long time ago. I have cousins on my husband's side that currently live in Levittown. I think Melville or South Huntington are nicer than Hicksville or Levittown. But having said that, depending on traffic, I'm not sure you could do Melville or S. Huntington to GC in 30 mins. I also went to college in GC (Adelphi) way back and it depends where he has to go and how many local traffic light roads he'll hit.

Do a search on this forum for the Grumman plume in Bethpage. It's spread to Hicksville so I wouldn't go anywhere near there.

Levittown would be doable in 30 mins. You could also check the south shore, anywhere close to the Wantagh or Meadowbrook parkways would be within 30 mins. Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:52 PM

483 posts, read 670,386 times
South Huntington is gorgeous. I loved it, but we only spent a few school years there. I liked the schools. The only issue I had is that the train station is far from South Huntington unless you live in the numbered streets (high teens go to S Huntington but are technically part of Huntington Station.) It is definitely over 30 minutes from S. Huntington to GC.

I currently live in Farmingdale which is in your price range as well. It is a bit closer than South Huntington.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
With Melville, I'm assuming So Huntington schools. HHH schools will be almost double your budget, and that's at the low end. Even with So Huntington schools, many of the houses in Melville will be out of your price range. You'll probably have more options in South Huntington. And I agree with the poster who said these areas will be generally prettier than Levittown or Hicksville. Probably lower taxes too since it's Suffolk.

But if you can extend your commute a bit, you will get much more for your money in Greenlawn, Elwood, East Northport or Commack. All much prettier areas than Levittown or Hicksville IMO. Harborfields, Elwood & Commack schools generally have a better reputation than any of the other areas you are considering so if you can deal with the extra commute time I think it would be well worth it.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:24 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymac1217 View Post
Hi all. My husband has a job offer in Garden City and we are trying to decide if moving to LI would work for us. Our max budget for a house is $350k. We would need good schools for our kids and a safe family town within no more than 30 min commute from Garden City. Not sure if it's doable as we know LI is expensive but would like any feedback regarding prices of towns, general area info and schools. Thanks in advance!
I highly recommend Wheatley Heights, there are some homes in your price range and they are all zoned for the Half Hollow Hills school district (which are among the top school districts on LI as others have stated). The only drawback is that most of the homes in this price range are pretty close to Wyandanch (which is a bad area); but this area itself is fine.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I highly recommend Wheatley Heights, there are some homes in your price range and they are all zoned for the Half Hollow Hills school district (which are among the top school districts on LI as others have stated). The only drawback is that most of the homes in this price range are pretty close to Wyandanch (which is a bad area); but this area itself is fine.
Agreed that HHH schools would be preferable by far but I do think anything under $350k will be practically Wyandanch...there are plenty of perfectly safe areas of Wheatley Heights, I'm just not sure $350k is enough to buy there.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Agreed that HHH schools would be preferable by far but I do think anything under $350k will be practically Wyandanch...there are plenty of perfectly safe areas of Wheatley Heights, I'm just not sure $350k is enough to buy there.
There are some homes for under $350k in Wheatley Heights (according to estately.com) but yes, they are all within a few blocks of Wyandanch. I believe the parts of Wheatley Hts immediately near Wyandanch (aka near Main Ave) are safe but it would be out of a lot of ppl's comfort zone.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 07-25-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
There are some homes for under $350k in Wheatley Heights (according to estately.com) but yes, they are all within a few blocks of Wyandanch. I believe the parts of Wheatley Hts immediately near Wyandanch are safe but it would be out of a lot of ppl's comfort zone.
I agree with the comfort zone thing...but it definitely speaks to the quality of the schools that houses right next to one of the worst areas on LI are going for the same price as houses in the other safe, middle class areas mentioned in this thread. For the same price, I think a lot of people would be more comfortable with average schools in an area like Levittown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island