Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but Queens and LI don't smell lol. You guys probably don't smell it since you're used to it. Many people I know smell it throughout most of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:21 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I lived in NJ for 2.5 years, the smell is only by the refineries. Once you get past Exit 10 or so on the turnpike, there isn't a smell.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
LOL Actually I grew up on Long Island. Try to get your facts straight before making assumptions.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I lived in NJ for 2.5 years, the smell is only by the refineries. Once you get past Exit 10 or so on the turnpike, there isn't a smell.
I always thought it came from the chemical plants....but yeah, there's a lot more to Jersey than the 30 mile stretch of the turnpike that a lot of NYers judge it on.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
There are some nice parts of NJ (much as it pains me to say it) and the blue laws are only really bad in Paramus.

IMO, the train service isn't as good as the LIRR or Metro-North, and there are chunks of NJ with no trains at all, or change at Secaucus.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,007 times
staten island is probably the best deal. NYC taxes plus some of the lowest housing costs in the city (staten is significantly more affordable than all of the other four boroughs, people expect the opposite since it's the wealthiest on average). people from LI and Jersey both talk crap about staten inexplicably. i mean, i love Queens and Brooklyn and can't imagine leaving them for "the burbs", but if i had to, I'd probably be looking at staten first.

oh yeah, the nys county that staten island makes up is called Richmond County, which has by far the highest percentage of Italians at nearly 40%. look it up.

by the way my s key doesn't work that's why the word staten ain't capitalized.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I'd pick NJ over Staten Island any day.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
Definitely NJ suburbs. It has everything Long Island has to offer and more.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
staten island is probably the best deal. NYC taxes plus some of the lowest housing costs in the city (staten is significantly more affordable than all of the other four boroughs, people expect the opposite since it's the wealthiest on average). people from LI and Jersey both talk crap about staten inexplicably. i mean, i love Queens and Brooklyn and can't imagine leaving them for "the burbs", but if i had to, I'd probably be looking at staten first.

oh yeah, the nys county that staten island makes up is called Richmond County, which has by far the highest percentage of Italians at nearly 40%. look it up.

by the way my s key doesn't work that's why the word staten ain't capitalized.
I'll never understand why so many people are down on Staten Island either! Some parts on the west side are downright rural. Tottenville might as well be upstate New York. Believe it or not, Staten Island on the whole has a comparable population density to the Town of Hempstead (south shore Nassau). It's very eclectic, and very hilly and even has plenty of open space. I like it....I imagine the ferry service to Manhattan might be kind of a pain in the neck - especially if you gotta use the SIRT to get to it - but maybe not. Good suggestion that's often overlooked!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
The commute is a deal breaker for a lot of people. Train or bus to the ferry, ferry to Manhattan, then ANOTHER train to get to your office if you don't work in Lower Manhattan. Plus the shlep to drive anywhere. It's why developers haven't latched on to it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island