Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any volunteer opportunities in Nassau County. I would love to be able to work with children or the elderly and would be willing to attend any of the training, interviews, background checks, etc. that are necessary to work hands on with clients. I'm a college student attending a local school but for the fall semester I managed to schedule all of my classes through the school's online course system, so I am really available all day from now until January.

I've checked out VolunteerMatch.org but haven't found any recent opportunities that are in my field of interest. I do have a car but would prefer to stay within 20-25 minutes of the Rockville Centre/Baldwin area.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStudent11 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any volunteer opportunities in Nassau County. I would love to be able to work with children or the elderly and would be willing to attend any of the training, interviews, background checks, etc. that are necessary to work hands on with clients. I'm a college student attending a local school but for the fall semester I managed to schedule all of my classes through the school's online course system, so I am really available all day from now until January.

I've checked out VolunteerMatch.org but haven't found any recent opportunities that are in my field of interest. I do have a car but would prefer to stay within 20-25 minutes of the Rockville Centre/Baldwin area.

I volunteered with Big Brothers, Big Sisters of LI a while back, for about a two year timeframe, was a great experience. I met with my 'little' for a few hours each weekend, but, I'm sure you could do it during the week too if your/their schedule permits. When I relocated to NYC, I was able to continue with the program, just in a different capacity.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStudent11 View Post
Hi,

I am really available all day from now until January.

What is your field of interest? (other than "children and seniors")

Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Check in with your local library - they may have volunteer opportunities you can do there, and/or can likely refer you to other places as well that match your interests.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Join LI Cares Mailing List. They will email you every month with opportunities but everything is during the week which I find so unfortunate bc I want to help but I cant due to my work schedule.

I would also call area hospitals and see if they need people. There is also something new going on where ppl can cuddle with babies in the NICU and it is supposed to aid in their care. It's a fairly new thing and I believe Montefiore is the only hospital in the area doing it.

I hope you find something bc with my work schedule i cant do it since everything I am interested in falls during the week. I would love to do the baby cuddle thing.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Check with local Senior Centers. I know the one in Huntington can always use volunteers.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Also call Camp Anchor or Nassau BOCES. They may know of opportunities too!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times
Try contacting the Long Island Volunteer Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island