Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you feel safe in Westbury?
Yes 12 60.00%
No 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:25 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
This isn't a new phenomenon. Parts of Post Avenue have been shaky for almost forty years.
The trash wasn't a problem when it looked like him though. Seriously though, I too grew up in a mediocre town, this kind of thing with drunk bums and crappy mass transit along with blighted storefronts has been around for decades. It's a shame Westbury is being allowed to be defamed so viciously on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
The trash wasn't a problem when it looked like him though. Seriously though, I too grew up in a mediocre town, this kind of thing with drunk bums and crappy mass transit along with blighted storefronts has been around for decades. It's a shame Westbury is being allowed to be defamed so viciously on this forum.
The "problem" isn't what the "trash," as you call, it looks like; the "problem" is how the "trash" ACTS. I am sure John wouldn't give a "pass" to some blond and blue eyed Polish immigrants doing the same things just because they are of European descent. Do you really think he would be fine with what's going on in Westbury if it were a different group causing most of the trouble? I don't (and neither would I).

Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,539 times
Like EX-li said" been that way for 40 years". Did you grow up in a mediocre town? If you did you would understand. "Trash" is what John and a certain clique of posters here use to describe them, don't give me the credit.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well for me complaining lets off some steam, and for someone who struggles with mental illness it is important to vent. It will get better when I move out and live in a better town like Bellmore, Seaford, or Massapequa.
I won't have to see these men hanging around and there's more to do in those areas.
Despite being near Roosevelt Field,etc, Westbury itself has very little to offer. Consider grocery shopping, all we have on Post Ave is Bravo, and the stench from just walking by the place is enough to keep me from even going in. Remember I cant drive, so the nearest market is Fairway by bus, but I dont care for their high prices and selection, I just want a regular supermarket. Stop & Shop all the way in Carle Place is the nearest thing, but that's two buses & I hate dealing with Roosevelt Field.
The main thing on Post Ave is bodegas, we have 6 of them. What else does Post have to offer? Pizza, maybe a few fancy restaurants, and two run down laundromats I would never use (I have to wash my clothes in a bucket at home, no washer/dryer).
CVS & Rite-Aid aren't groceries though sometimes I'm forced to get the basics there. There's no woods here, yeah you got Eisenhower Park but there's no woods. If I lived in Bellmore I'd have King Kullen nearby, other places such as Uncle G's, Stop & Shop, or Pathmark a short train or bus ride away, laundromats that are clean and aren't smelly and stink to high heaven, plenty of woods (Mill Pond Park, Twin Ponds, Massapequa Preserve), and much better train service. The service on the Montauk line is much better too making it easier to go to the Pine Barrens. Westbury is a joke, most trains dont even stop here and fly past, we got one train an hour on average, because the trains alternate stops (particularly on weekends), there's two Huntington trains, but one stops at Westbury & Merillon, the other at Carle Place and NHP, what a PITA, they should be making all stops like the Babylon line trains do. And I'd get 2 trains an hour plus better rush hour service. This makes it much easier as I dont drive. Yes we have NICE Bus but it's far from reliable, I dont even bother with the n22 anymore since it never shows up and is always overcrowded, so if I need a bus at Hicksville I take the train. I only use the n35 in Westbury, esp at night to avoid walking down Post Ave at that time.
So Westbury is not an easy place to live without a car. Then on top of that I have to see these guys around all the time sitting on stoops with their black bags of booze. It's just depressing, and for someone with mental illness it is that much harder. Westbury just feels like Hempstead, though I know the latter is much worse, that is the general vibe I get, esp at night in summer.
No one takes depression seriously, look at what happened to Robin Williams. I'm not in that kind of shape yet, but living here has taken it's toll on me, and with each summer I am more & more miserable.
It's a struggle just to go out everyday, since I always have to travel about an hour to get anywhere where I can feel comfortable and put me in a better mood. Very sorry to ramble on but this is how I vent. I dont make videos about it anymore, I don't even bring immigration into it anymore much, but seeing Post Ave everyday is very frustrating.
When I'm visiting Bellmore (which is almost everyday since I love the area) I never see much that bothers me, their train station is modern and beautiful with a canopy on the platform, it's like a rapid transit line, that's what I need.
Westbury's station is so delapidated (note the fading paint), and now there's always vagrants living & loitering in the shelters, I complained to the MTA, no one does anything.
This is what I had to see today. They are there everyday, and as you can see, don't plan on catching a train. So tired of this.

I just want to move, and am trying. Its not like I want to live in Garden City or Great Neck, Bellmore & vicinity is perfectly reasonable! Then I won't be so unhappy anymore and you won't have to sit through all my complaining.
Thank god. I can't wait until that day arrives so we can read HAPPY stores about you and your new town, instead of more bazillion threads about how Westbury/"wastebury" sucks, etc etc etc...ad nauseaum!!!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Don't be selfish and just move... fix the problem! Run for office!

Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Like EX-li said" been that way for 40 years". Did you grow up in a mediocre town? If you did you would understand. "Trash" is what John and a certain clique of posters here use to describe them, don't give me the credit.
Post Ave in Westbury looked a lot nicer 30+ years ago when I would head over there than it does today. There were many more Italian families in the area and I didn't worry about being accosted or catcalled by someone on a stoop drinking a 40 concealed by a brown bag.

Westbury has changed. It's not Brentwood or CI (yet) but it is gradually becoming an Hispanic community replete with legal and illegal aliens.

Looking at this Nassau County redistricting website, between 2000-2010 there was an appreciable growth in the number of Hispanics in Westbury. I've included a few charts, but most telling are in the web site for people to view. Percentage of Westbury residents with a HS diploma is < 50%, and percent in white collar employment is < 20%.

Quote:
The largest subset of Hispanic immigrants in Nassau are Central Americans, specifically Salvadorans and Guatemalans. The Central American civil wars of the 1980s caused much of this migration and settlement in the US. Central Americans in Nassau are heavily concentrated in Hempstead-Uniondale-Roosevelt, Inwood, Westbury, and Glen Cove.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 PM

19 posts, read 34,894 times
I haven't really noticed any illegal housing. The neighborhood seems pretty quiet. The only issue i've had with is the loud pops described. I drove by the new cassell (?) area to get to Ikea and I guess it's a bit closer to there than I would like. Now, that part of town is really shady.

I'm not sure where the library is (yet) but I walk to train the station and it's not an issue for me so far.

Quote:
Someone seems to be shooting fireworks off in that area, I can see flashes in the sky just south of the library. They were shooting them off till 1am on Saturday night too, quite annoying. Next time it goes that late I will call the cops. There is a fireworks show (professional) scheduled next Saturday by St.Brigids.
How is that area where you are BTW?
Any illegal housing issues? I know it used to be nice, but I've been seeing more rundown looking homes around the library lately (flophouses?).

Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 PM

19 posts, read 34,894 times
This has probably been asked .. wouldn't it be easier for you to live in the nyc boroughs like queens or brooklyn? I would think you could find better services there for whatever you are receiving it for ...

Since I walk to the train station ... and walk back home at night, one big issue I hate is that the streets are not well lit. If the streets were well lit, there would be less crime and people would feel safer.

I was talking home today in the evening and i saw a bunch of eaten buffalo wings all over the street. are you kidding me ...

Quote:
Well for me complaining lets off some steam, and for someone who struggles with mental illness it is important to vent. It will get better when I move out and live in a better town like Bellmore, Seaford, or Massapequa.
I won't have to see these men hanging around and there's more to do in those areas.
Despite being near Roosevelt Field,etc, Westbury itself has very little to offer. Consider grocery shopping, all we have on Post Ave is Bravo, and the stench from just walking by the place is enough to keep me from even going in. Remember I cant drive, so the nearest market is Fairway by bus, but I dont care for their high prices and selection, I just want a regular supermarket. Stop & Shop all the way in Carle Place is the nearest thing, but that's two buses & I hate dealing with Roosevelt Field.
The main thing on Post Ave is bodegas, we have 6 of them. What else does Post have to offer? Pizza, maybe a few fancy restaurants, and two run down laundromats I would never use (I have to wash my clothes in a bucket at home, no washer/dryer).
CVS & Rite-Aid aren't groceries though sometimes I'm forced to get the basics there. There's no woods here, yeah you got Eisenhower Park but there's no woods. If I lived in Bellmore I'd have King Kullen nearby, other places such as Uncle G's, Stop & Shop, or Pathmark a short train or bus ride away, laundromats that are clean and aren't smelly and stink to high heaven, plenty of woods (Mill Pond Park, Twin Ponds, Massapequa Preserve), and much better train service. The service on the Montauk line is much better too making it easier to go to the Pine Barrens. Westbury is a joke, most trains dont even stop here and fly past, we got one train an hour on average, because the trains alternate stops (particularly on weekends), there's two Huntington trains, but one stops at Westbury & Merillon, the other at Carle Place and NHP, what a PITA, they should be making all stops like the Babylon line trains do. And I'd get 2 trains an hour plus better rush hour service. This makes it much easier as I dont drive. Yes we have NICE Bus but it's far from reliable, I dont even bother with the n22 anymore since it never shows up and is always overcrowded, so if I need a bus at Hicksville I take the train. I only use the n35 in Westbury, esp at night to avoid walking down Post Ave at that time.
So Westbury is not an easy place to live without a car. Then on top of that I have to see these guys around all the time sitting on stoops with their black bags of booze. It's just depressing, and for someone with mental illness it is that much harder. Westbury just feels like Hempstead, though I know the latter is much worse, that is the general vibe I get, esp at night in summer.
No one takes depression seriously, look at what happened to Robin Williams. I'm not in that kind of shape yet, but living here has taken it's toll on me, and with each summer I am more & more miserable.
It's a struggle just to go out everyday, since I always have to travel about an hour to get anywhere where I can feel comfortable and put me in a better mood. Very sorry to ramble on but this is how I vent. I dont make videos about it anymore, I don't even bring immigration into it anymore much, but seeing Post Ave everyday is very frustrating.
When I'm visiting Bellmore (which is almost everyday since I love the area) I never see much that bothers me, their train station is modern and beautiful with a canopy on the platform, it's like a rapid transit line, that's what I need.
Westbury's station is so delapidated (note the fading paint), and now there's always vagrants living & loitering in the shelters, I complained to the MTA, no one does anything.
This is what I had to see today. They are there everyday, and as you can see, don't plan on catching a train. So tired of this.

I just want to move, and am trying. Its not like I want to live in Garden City or Great Neck, Bellmore & vicinity is perfectly reasonable! Then I won't be so unhappy anymore and you won't have to sit through all my complaining.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
At some point you will have to admit that Westbury is naturally disadvantaged for 21st century America. It's too far away from NYC to be a good commuter neighborhood no matter what you do w/ the main st. while most of LI's natural wonders are located along the coast. Although chronic flooding in the south shore might change that.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 PM

796 posts, read 1,755,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
At some point you will have to admit that Westbury is naturally disadvantaged for 21st century America. It's too far away from NYC to be a good commuter neighborhood no matter what you do w/ the main st. while most of LI's natural wonders are located along the coast. Although chronic flooding in the south shore might change that.
It's only 40 minutes to Penn Station. Places like Syosset and Cold Spring Harbor are even farther from NYC yet they are much better "commuter neighborhoods"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island