Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 PM

91 posts, read 130,715 times

Advertisements

Hello

I've just moved to LI from NJ, and now I need to exchange my NJ license and registration for NY license/reg.
I am not clear about the registration in NY.
My car title is with the dealership as I'm financing via the dealer. What do I need to get from them or do they need to send to DMV directly?
DMV in LI was not clear , they said I need to get the title from dealer, dealer says they don't need to provide.

Can anyone help?

I am worried about getting all this done in 30 days, in LI DMV is not even open on Saturdays

My current NJ license has been issued in May 2014, and here in LI they say it has to be valid for 6 months, now I need to request NJ DMV to send my record which shows NJ DMV had issued my license earlier as well.

I cannot get answers properly from DMV either, thats why posting here.

Can I drive with NY license and NY insurance but NJ registration?

Feedback most welcomed....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 AM

105,671 posts, read 107,628,943 times
no you cannot.

if the car is not registerd and insured in the same state it is primarily garaged or kept in it is insurance fraud.

you can have a new jersey license and ny registration and insurance. if nj is your primary state but that car is kept at a 2nd home in the hamptons and not a daily driver in nj that is fine .

or the reverse is fine , a ny licence and new jersey insurance and regi for the car kept at your jersey shore home while ny is your primary state. but regi and insurance must be the same state and where the car is garaged or kept most of the time if not all the time.

folks who live in ny as a primary have 2nd homes in florida. they keep their ny licence but can get a regi and insurance on a 2nd car they keep in florida.

why is it like that?

the state of registration and your insurance company from that state is responsible under federal law to automatically elevate you and cover you when you drive in other states to that states minmum insurance coverage if their requirements are higher then the state you are registered and insured in..

basically if you are insured and registered in a state but do not live there as a primary residence the state and insurer have to eat the extra an accident may cost in another state with higher minimum coverage levels without you even paying for that level of coverage or paying taxes to that state.

you cannot split up regi and insurance into different states ,only licence in your primary state --- regi/insurance together where car is kept.

they consider that insurance fraud.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-13-2014 at 03:34 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 AM

Thanks, now can you please tell me regarding registering a vehicle whose title is owned by the dealer?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 AM

3,422 posts, read 5,640,559 times
Cars, Trucks, and Motorcycles

Model year 1973 or newer
The acceptable proof of ownership is either
  • a NYS Certificate of Title
  • acceptable proof of ownership from any other state

Old 08-13-2014, 09:08 AM

99 posts, read 257,059 times
The entity that holds the NJ title can give you permission to register the car in NY under your name. Similar to a leased car - you don't own or have title to the car because the dealer is financing it. It's not a title in your name with a lien. The dealer or bank named on the title can send a copy of the title and permission to register to you. You bring that to DMV, and get your NY plates & registration.

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-leased-vehicle

Old 08-14-2014, 06:10 AM

Thanks very much! Do I need to take my NJ number plates to DMV office for registration to NY plates?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:31 AM

99 posts, read 257,059 times
You will need to contact the lender that holds the title to your car in order to register your car in New York.

You need license plates on your car to drive to DMV!! Don't cancel your NJ insurance or registration until you get your NY plates. The NYS DMV is not interested in your NJ plates. Ask the NJ DMV if you need to return them.

It's OK to switch your driver's license first. You're still OK to drive your NJ registered cars with a NY license.

It may take some time for your lender to provide the documents so you can register your car in NY.

If everything is successful at DMV, you will be given (on the spot) NY plates and a registration sticker, and a temporary inspection sticker. Put your NY plates on, stick the registration sticker on the window. You have ten days after that to get your car inspected.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM

1,110 posts, read 666,025 times
Nothing to add. Just wanted to congratulate you on moving from the first to the second most expensive place on planet earth (when it comes to insuring a car).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: