Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,225 times

Advertisements

This company watson property development should be avoided They are a rude bunch of obnoxious workers who do subpar work but play loud rage rock all day long very good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 10:30 AM

191 posts, read 516,655 times
WHY did these areas Flood?? Are they low lying areas? Is the sewer system in these towns in need of repair? I ask this because where I live we had no flooding. Most of Long Island didn't flood. I'm wondering what's different in these areas that they flooded?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM

148 posts, read 248,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
WHY did these areas Flood?? Are they low lying areas? Is the sewer system in these towns in need of repair? I ask this because where I live we had no flooding. Most of Long Island didn't flood. I'm wondering what's different in these areas that they flooded?
Too Much rain
+
Too Much pavement w/ Not enough draining?

Some of the areas are near creeks, and a lot of them are topographical nightmare locations in terms of heavy rainfall I believe

Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Quote:
Where do you live? Rainfall amounts varied across the island.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:51 PM

715 posts, read 1,233,943 times
Quote:

Where I live, there are a lot of hills and anyone at the bottom of a hill, was flooded pretty good. There are drains in our street, but there are no sewers in Town of Brookhaven. We have a drain in front of our house and that filled up quick.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Where I live, there are a lot of hills and anyone at the bottom of a hill, was flooded pretty good. There are drains in our street, but there are no sewers in Town of Brookhaven. We have a drain in front of our house and that filled up quick.
The folks down the hill from me got the double-whammy. Bottom of the hill and situated over a high water table.

Brookhaven installed the drains in our area to prevent rain water run off from contaminating the harbor and sound. It wasn't done to mitigate flooding.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
different areas received different amounts of rainfall. The only thing "different" about the areas that were flooded is plain old bad luck.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:41 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Why are people leaving their trunks open in the first video of the 2nd link? Is it done on purpose or were they just in a rush?
So the trunk will fill with water rather than becoming an air pocket that will allow the car to float away I'm thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island