Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Get flooded today?
Nope, nothing unusual 48 70.59%
My street 7 10.29%
My yard 6 8.82%
Basement/crawlspace 11 16.18%
Garage or house itself 0 0%
I live on the south shore 14 20.59%
I live on the north shore 11 16.18%
I live mid-island 17 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 PM

60 posts, read 121,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pholtor View Post
I dont think you want to swim in bacteria filled water overflowed from sewers/sumps also there can be electric wires and 3rd rails depending on your location

Im in North Brentwood too and although it was a sizable amount of rain the streets performed well as my area has many sumps for draining and the L.I.E for water to run off to (overpass with Washington Ave.)

It must have been a mess by the railroads especially ronkonkoma, bayshore islip etc.
Should have put a /s to show that the swimming part was sarcastic. Should be obvious to people not to swim in these dirty waters but, hey, some don't know I guess. I'm by the North Elementary area but there was virtually no water flooding the streets (I checked around 9:30 - 10 so that could be why).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Nassau was a joke. All this bad flooding must have been suffolk cuz seriously my area had barely any flooding

Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Got off easy in Westbury, the south shore and Suffolk Co. got it worse. This is what happens when 7-9 inches of rain falls in just hours. Anyone who has been to Mill Pond Park on Merrick Rd in Wantagh knows this spot, and these falls were raging today.

Considering over a foot fell around Islip, I wonder what the Connetquot River looks like!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Got off easy in Westbury, the south shore and Suffolk Co. got it worse.
Now there's something nice to be said about Westbury!

Old 08-14-2014, 06:16 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,803 times
Our basement flooded about an inch in the down pitched parts of it, but it was due to a faulty window. Spent a good amount of the day pumping it out (not super fun when you are already dealing with a respiratory infection). Our front yard was flooded a little bit and so was our backyard, but it receded very quickly. Our pool also filled up to the brim. We are lucky our house has a drain in the driveway (I live in Town of Brookhaven, no sewers), or we probably would've had other issues.

It's pretty hilly by me and there were roads that were closed, peoples fences were destroyed, some furniture was out on the street after everything. Basically if you were at the bottom of a hill, you were SOL.

My future in laws are in Town of Babylon and they got hit hard enough. They lost their lawnmower, BBQ, lucky they moved their cars. Unfortunately, their nephew, who lives in the house, lost his car.

I also saw lots of parking lots flooded out.

Just crazy.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:26 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,073,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Now there's something nice to be said about Westbury!
lol

Old 08-14-2014, 01:50 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,301 times
Nothing by my house or street in N Lindenhurst, the street behind me was flooded, as were a few intersections like Straight Path/Wellwood. My 2 mile trip to the station took me over 30 minutes though. Sunrise was a standstill and it just affected everything else.

Huge lakes by the railroad station. I made it through most with no issues. (an old pickup isnt too useless a vehicle at times)

Took off my boots and socks, rolled up my pants to walk to the station from the car.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:31 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I am on higher ground than my neighbor in Islip and never had a flood in the 11 years I live here.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:50 AM

76 posts, read 96,722 times
While we live on a lake, we're pitched on a hill so we don't get much. A little water in the basement, but that's what wet-dry vacs and a little vinegar/clorox are good for. Actually, we consider ourselves lucky, given the amount of rain. People a block south of us got hammered. I'm terribly sorry for anyone who got flooded out in this crazy storm.

To echo the sentiments of a previous poster, it's been my experience that basements make great STORAGE spaces when your family/space situation makes it possible to limit them to that use. Grew up out-of-state in a beautiful ranch on a 60 y.o. cinderblock foundation no where near the water or a flood zone. My DIYer parents took great pride in restoring the house themselves and creating a beautiful living area in the basement when I was in middle school. It was just something everyone who was handy (or of means) did at that time, whether they had a large family or a small one. By my teenaged years, I remember raising furniture every other year or so and helping with extensive clean-up (and since moving out, witnessing my parents pay to remediate and renovate the place ...twice). It certainly lowered my expectations of what a basement is for while raising precautions of how to use it as a storage space... raised, plastic tubs, etc.

Our foundation is poured concrete, but at 35 y.o. whatever residual waterproofing is left is just gravy. Down the line if it worsens we made need to get french drains, but for now it's fine. Having lower expectations and taking precautions with the basement has certainly removed a lot of stress out of these blessedly rare moments in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island