Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times

Advertisements

2 hours covers most of the island but you have to realize that if you live in the city, you wont need a car, so you'll save on that expense so that might be a better option. Otherwise, Manorville, and Mattituck are 2 choices that I would suggest for you. Manorville has areas that look like golf course communities in Florida, while Mattituck has relaxed areas and it is close to wine country, and the yearly strawberry festival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 PM

148 posts, read 248,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMiller3232 View Post
Hello - I am planning an early retirement and I am curious about Long Island. I love NYC and know that I can't afford to live there. Can someone recommend a town in Long Island that is safe, around 2 hours to the City, very walkable (to the train and great restaurants, grocery) and housing prices under $500,000? I am also very interested in a community that promotes biking with dedicated bike lanes, hiking and great access to the outdoors. Thanks in advance for your help.
Unfortunately Long Island is car dependent suburban sprawl except for 3 or 4 boring strips of town that lie in "Main Streets" that happen to be just as entangled in endless highways unfriendly to pedestrians or bicycles, though there are some hidden areas with bike pathways but they seem to be only leisurely-

Wantagh- There is an amazing bike path (that isn't for commute but for leisure) that goes all the way to Jones beach. As for walkability to stores and whatnot, I'm not TOO sure I've never had the privilege to live in a coastal Long Island community, you'll have to look more into it.

Great River- In Islip some properties blend into the Heckscher park that has endless bike trails. But again its leisurely and you won't find a convenient area walkable without having to cross endless intersections of high speed traffic.

Pretty much anywhere else that fits your request for walkable areas falls short on bicycle infrastructure. Long Island is eons behind matching its pace with a human pace, instead, we just all flock to the beach by car to escape the daily grind and suffocation in suburbia. ;/

Good luck though, sadly most of America isn't on par with the pace of life satisfactory to humans like many European towns and world class cities like NYC.

Last edited by Pholtor; 08-18-2014 at 09:36 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
Bayville, Glen Cove, Babylon Village, Long Beach, Sayville, Bellport Village, Port Jefferson Village.

Note, these are all very different places. You need to do your research. MLSLI is a good site.

Also when I say Village, I do not mean "Station" or just Bellport. North Bellport is not good. Neither is PJ Station.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:39 AM

57 posts, read 88,390 times
Patchogue is undergoing a revitalization. It has a nice downtown and a train station. Real estate is still affordable.

I second glen cove.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 AM

148 posts, read 248,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_ View Post
Patchogue is undergoing a revitalization. It has a nice downtown and a train station. Real estate is still affordable.

I second glen cove.
Patchogue is diverse too, it gets plus points for that!

It has a nice vibe but the downtown falls off abruptly on the north to south basis. ;/ Some of the developments are shocking though! It's like the most built up area in Suffolk seen some of the new rentals?

-edit but it isn't a town to be active really, is it?
Sure, it has a lively downtown, but it doesn't have that many great outdoorsy locations to let go, does it?

Last edited by Pholtor; 08-19-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
He also failed to mention, is it a house, condo or coop he is looking for.

Also what type of outdoors? Beach, Mountains etc.

Two hours is a huge distance to Manhattan. He wont be making that trip to often. He could be living in Hunte Mountain or Montaulk or even Philly and Catskills and be two hours away.

A two hour trip is four hours round trip that is crazy.

One other good choice is North Fork on LI, low taxes, lots to do and Jitney Bus to Manhattan nearby runs all year.

Other fun choice is a nice small coop in Long Beach for like 150k then spend 350K for a small weekend place in the North Fork.

That is what a retiree I know has and loves it, a little of both.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,549 times
Try any of the condos on the east end.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,305 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
Just wanted to mention Long Beach - it's extremely bike-friendly, and one of the few places on LI where it's easy to bike to places you actually need (grocery store, pharmacy, etc.) rather than places like Patchogue/Babylon/etc. where "Main Street" is dominated by restaurants and kitschy shops that, while nice, don't exactly work for people just trying to run errands on foot or by bike the way you would if you lived in NYC.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMiller3232 View Post
Hello - I am planning an early retirement and I am curious about Long Island. I love NYC and know that I can't afford to live there. Can someone recommend a town in Long Island that is safe, around 2 hours to the City, very walkable (to the train and great restaurants, grocery) and housing prices under $500,000? I am also very interested in a community that promotes biking with dedicated bike lanes, hiking and great access to the outdoors. Thanks in advance for your help.
I would suggest Minneapolis, MN. It has everything, in abundance, for which you're looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island