Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
The guy is a businessman. He doesn't care about the fans or the team and he damn sure doesn't give a damn about whether or not some people are butthurt about the move/sale.
If it was strictly $, many other cities probably would have given even better incentive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
I don't know if the move to Brooklyn has an out clause but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, or if the Islanders' move to Brooklyn doesn't turn out to be the final move now with the sale of the team. I think all bets are off with new ownership.

As far as Wang losing a lot of money every year, he did have a lucrative cable TV contract and he had a team with one of the lowest payrolls in the sport. Add in how much the team's value appreciated since he bought them and he comes out a winner financially.

Somebody mentioned the Nassau Coliseum being known as the "Mausoleum", that was just Steve Somers' schtick just like he called them the Icelanders. Nobody else uses those references.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM

413 posts, read 598,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I don't know if the move to Brooklyn has an out clause but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, or if the Islanders' move to Brooklyn doesn't turn out to be the final move now with the sale of the team. I think all bets are off with new ownership.

As far as Wang losing a lot of money every year, he did have a lucrative cable TV contract and he had a team with one of the lowest payrolls in the sport. Add in how much the team's value appreciated since he bought them and he comes out a winner financially.

Somebody mentioned the Nassau Coliseum being known as the "Mausoleum", that was just Steve Somers' schtick just like he called them the Icelanders. Nobody else uses those references.

Ha ha, every non-Islander hockey fan in the northeast calls it the mausoleum. And they are the Fish Sticks, not the Ice-landers, despite the Schmooze's aphorism's.

But I agree I still have that little germ of doubt that Brooklyn is the end of the road. However, the lid seems to have slammed on Nassau county and the NHL is dead set against the team leaving the NY area so Brooklyn might just be it for at least a few years.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Ha ha, every non-Islander hockey fan in the northeast calls it the mausoleum. And they are the Fish Sticks, not the Ice-landers, despite the Schmooze's aphorism's.

But I agree I still have that little germ of doubt that Brooklyn is the end of the road. However, the lid seems to have slammed on Nassau county and the NHL is dead set against the team leaving the NY area so Brooklyn might just be it for at least a few years.

Fishsticks lol. That's so 1996 marigold, that ugly jersey is long, long gone. Kind of like if the Isles fans started chanting "1940" again at Isles/Ranger games.

No doubt they will be at Brooklyn for at least a few years, my guess is 5-6 depending on how quick attendance plummets.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:37 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Why would anyone support this team with Wang in charge. Incompetent owner, hires incompetent puppet GM, moves team to Brooklyn cuz he didn't get his taxpayer funded arena. We'll ********* wang. You're a billionaire, you want a new arena, build it yourself and pay taxes like everyone else does. I still can't for the life of me understand why these cities/ towns allow these crooked millionaires hold their municipalities hostage all for a sports team. Every study shows that a sports team brings no economic benefit to the town it is in. Jobs? ,,,wow, part time jobs serving beer and hot dogs at minimum wage is not my idea of job creation. Maybe in Obamas world, but not the real world.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Why would anyone support this team with Wang in charge. Incompetent owner, hires incompetent puppet GM, moves team to Brooklyn cuz he didn't get his taxpayer funded arena. We'll ********* wang. You're a billionaire, you want a new arena, build it yourself and pay taxes like everyone else does. I still can't for the life of me understand why these cities/ towns allow these crooked millionaires hold their municipalities hostage all for a sports team. Every study shows that a sports team brings no economic benefit to the town it is in. Jobs? ,,,wow, part time jobs serving beer and hot dogs at minimum wage is not my idea of job creation. Maybe in Obamas world, but not the real world.

He tried to build it himself. It was called the light house project. The Town of Hempstead put an end to that.

His second try was the tax funded arena.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Quote:
Originally posted by LIOC

He tried to build it himself. It was called the light house project. The Town
of Hempstead put an end to that.

His second try was the tax funded
arena.
Yeah he wanted to build the Light House project with tax payer money...again, a billionaire looking for a free handout...I was shocked that Nassau Co said no on the referendum, but it was the right thing. The Coliseum is not going to be an economic stimulus Wang would have the people believe....only Wang would have profited..

Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 AM

413 posts, read 598,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Yeah he wanted to build the Light House project with tax payer money...again, a billionaire looking for a free handout...I was shocked that Nassau Co said no on the referendum, but it was the right thing. The Coliseum is not going to be an economic stimulus Wang would have the people believe....only Wang would have profited..
No, Lighthouse Project was to be 100% privately funded with hefty lease and sales tax payments to Nassau County. Mangano was salivating over it. Kate Murray, the Queen of nimby obstructionism, not so much. The "no" on the referendum was a given. Wasn't even close. You keep stating Wang alone was or would be profiting so much. Pro sports are public private partnerships. Everyone makes money or everyone loses money. Yeah, the hot dog job isn't a great benefit, but taxes on hot dogs, luxury boxes, apparel, lease payments, gas, parking, utilities, ancillary businesses like restaurants, feeder businesses like caterers, facilities management, construction, event management, booze tax and sales tax all create a tsunami of money when successful....on top of that, winning teams attract business, which attracts advertising, which attracts more business, which attracts residential. And on and on. The coliseum is a mismanaged piece of dung. Islanders make the playoffs just once and the place is full. Once again, shortsighted, fearful Nimby obstruction fails to see the big picture and lets an arena and pro team walk. And Kate wins again in a landslide. We get what we deserve and we deserve a Chuckie Cheese and a Walgreens. Wang did triple back flips and sunk in a ton of his own dough to make it work and like any Town of Hempstead homeowner who has tried to permit a pool or shed can attest, finally said "enough of this crap, I'm done." Although if they start winning I can see him trying to back out of the 2 year deal to give up his majority stake. He just can't let go of the Islanders.

Last edited by marigold69; 08-22-2014 at 09:25 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
No, Lighthouse Project was to be 100% privately funded with hefty lease and sales tax payments to Nassau County. Mangano was salivating over it. Kate Murray, the Queen of nimby obstructionism, not so much. The "no" on the referendum was a given. Wasn't even close. You keep stating Wang alone was or would be profiting so much. Pro sports are public private partnerships. Everyone makes money or everyone loses money. Yeah, the hot dog job isn't a great benefit, but taxes on hot dogs, luxury boxes, apparel, lease payments, gas, parking, utilities, ancillary businesses like restaurants, feeder businesses like caterers, union facilities management, construction, event, management, booze tax and sales all create a tsunami of money when successful....on top of that winning teams attract business, which attracts advertising, which attracts more business, which attracts residential. And on and on. The coliseum is a mismanaged piece of dung. Islanders make the playoffs just once and the place is full. Once again, shortsighted, fearful Nimby obstruction fails to see the big picture and let's an arena and pro team walk. And Kate wins again in a landslide. We get what we deserve and we deserve a Chuckie Cheese and a Walgreens. Wang did triple back flips and sunk in a ton of his own dough to make it work and like any Town of Hempstead homeowner who has tried to permit a pool or shed can attest, finally said "enough of this crap, I'm done." Although if they start winning I can see him trying to back out of the 2 year deal to give up his majority stake. He just can't let go of the Islanders.
agree with everything here except wasn't Wang going to get all of the county owned land for the project for essentially zero cost? That has to be included in any big picture look at the project. But yeah, the original lighthouse project was probably the best possible option for everyone involved. The subsequent county financed arena plan was a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
agree with everything here except wasn't Wang going to get all of the county owned land for the project for essentially zero cost? That has to be included in any big picture look at the project. But yeah, the original lighthouse project was probably the best possible option for everyone involved. The subsequent county financed arena plan was a disaster waiting to happen IMO.
Wang went about the Lighthouse project backwards. He should have followed in AEG & LA Arena Company's footsteps (Staples Center). STAPLES Center's Groundbreaking Finance Package Is Largest-Ever For A Sports Arena | STAPLES Center

Acquire the land adjacent to the Coliseum, have Bear Sterns sell funding, strike a deal with the municipality to upgrade the local infrastructure, and create a jewel which will lead to more entertainment, restaurant, hotel development in the immediate area. Then start developing those phases.

The Staples Center isn't in some remote suburb -- this is in the heart of a busy area, yet somehow it works very well. Kate really screwed up denying this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island