Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The rents are going to be far higher than what Section 8 pays. The developer is not building this with the intent of it becoming a welfare building, believe me. This is a long term investment for market-rate tenants who will pay a premium for new construction (incredibly rare on Long Island) and close proximity to the LIRR.
That may not be the intent- but when few are willing to pay those high rents to live in a glorified tenement/feel like they are living Brooklyn, they inevitably go Section 8, 'cause half the desired rent is better than no rent. (I really think it is just a sham for building housing projects on LI- they know there isn't enough market for these future slums; and if they said they were going to be Sec. 8 from the git-go, the communities would likely object)

Just look at some of the ones that are already in operation....that's exactly what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,202 times
Does anyone know if there have been any crimes in the last 4 months in Wyandanch, and more specifically, any at or around the new Wyn. Vill. complex or it's parking lot?

Old 04-18-2015, 01:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyandanch View Post
Does anyone know if there have been any crimes in the last 4 months in Wyandanch, and more specifically, any at or around the new Wyn. Vill. complex or it's parking lot?
The bad winter and substantial snowfall is great for keeping crime rates low. Considering that the 4 month window you're asking about incorporates 3 months of lousy weather, the answer would not be an accurate reflection of the area.

Newsday has a crime map which indicates 47 crimes (including 1 homicide) took place between April 18, 2014 and today. This number does not include drug arrests. That seems somewhat high for a community that covers 4.5 square miles.

While not all of the crimes were in the area near the project, many where well under 1 mile away or less: North 20th, North 22, North 23rd, North 24th, North 26th, Arlington Ave x 2, South 26th x 2, Johnson Ave, LIRR parking lot x 2, Acorn St, Andrews Ave, Commonwealth Dr, Merritt Ave, Washington Ave, Irving Ave,

The SCPD drug map for 2014 shows a total of 55 arrests; it only covers January 2015, and surprisingly enough, there were only 5 drug arrests in Wyandanch during January 2015. For the period of February 27, 2014 to January 31, 2015 there were 60 drug arrests in Wyandanch.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:42 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,967 times
The guy was being a wiseass.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
The guy was being a wiseass.
Very possibly so, but might as well put the facts out there.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyandanch View Post
Tell ya what: You go take a 1/2-hour walk anywhere in Crimedanch....if you still want to move there [Or, should I say "If you survive"?], then go for it!

Old 04-18-2015, 08:59 PM

42 posts, read 37,201 times
As someone who parks his car there every day for the last twenty years, I can say in all honesty that there hasn't been much crime there in the past ten years or so. As soon as parking lots were shifted around and cars were parked more remotely, the piles of broken glass began to appear. We'll have to see now that the weather has broken.
As far as the parking structure? If it isn't patrolled or closed somehow, I predict disaster.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:28 PM

63 posts, read 125,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I wonder who the 3 bedroom, 1,230 sq ft units would appeal to? That seems like an awful lot of space for a young couples or singles -- unless several are sharing an apartment.
If it were in the city, it would appeal to my boyfriend and me. One of the reasons we are leaning toward living on Long Island is because of how tiny Manhattan apartments are. Multifamily buildings on LI don't appeal to us that much, because it seems like the worst combination of urban and suburban (all the drawbacks of apartment buildings combined with long commute). But if an apartment on LI were all we could afford a 3 bedroom, 1,230 sq ft unit might be an appealing alternative to a 400 sq ft studio in Manhattan at the same rent.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:25 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
I've been doing a lot of work on this project (not in the construction aspect). Supposedly, the apartments and retail stores going in are going to be aimed towards the younger, hip crowd, such as that in parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan. Whether it works or not is anyone's guess, but they're going to be much cheaper than apartments within the boundaries of NYC. I honestly see some good things coming from this. Now we just need MTA police to step up patrols in the parking lots to prevent auto burglaries and SCPD to bring back the dedicated Wyandanch patrol unit.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj2dc2nyc2li View Post
If it were in the city, it would appeal to my boyfriend and me. One of the reasons we are leaning toward living on Long Island is because of how tiny Manhattan apartments are. Multifamily buildings on LI don't appeal to us that much, because it seems like the worst combination of urban and suburban (all the drawbacks of apartment buildings combined with long commute). But if an apartment on LI were all we could afford a 3 bedroom, 1,230 sq ft unit might be an appealing alternative to a 400 sq ft studio in Manhattan at the same rent.
So you wouldn't mind living in new apartments in a community with more than its share of socio-economic problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island