Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:05 AM

413 posts, read 599,240 times

Advertisements

Yes, another pool question. Please spare us all the "a pool is like a boat...use someone else's" answers please. This is for legitimate pool owners, particularly recent ones.

Is the in ground vs semi-inground definitely a big tax difference?
Does the adding of a pool automatically trigger a new assessment?

My question is how do they know? From the building permits? I have gotten CO's and variances for an above ground and shed and it did not affect my assessment. Just wondering how a new pool (in or semi in) triggers tax increases.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:12 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I don't have a pool but I don't AGP affects your taxes because it's not permanent. I think the big reason people don't get permits is because of what you went through with everything else coming into play.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:52 AM

176 posts, read 406,872 times
I always though I would get an IGP but went with a agp for the reason you described. No regrets. As for semi-inground, not sure of the letter of the law, but I highly doubt it would be bothered with and considered in ground. I would just do it and put it in, especially if you plan to stay in the house for the life span of an above ground pool.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:37 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,049 times
IGPs are great if you live here in Florida and have them all year. My biggest regret up there was putting one in. Aside from the initial $17k to buy and install after ten years we began to have to sink a grand here, two grand there another $500 here and the kids were teenagers and never..I mean never used it. I called it my living art work because we just looked at it.

Consider spending the $2k for an AGP and if you love it that much then go IGP and sell old pool for a few dollars.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:32 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
IGPs are great if you live here in Florida and have them all year. My biggest regret up there was putting one in. Aside from the initial $17k to buy and install after ten years we began to have to sink a grand here, two grand there another $500 here and the kids were teenagers and never..I mean never used it. I called it my living art work because we just looked at it.

Consider spending the $2k for an AGP and if you love it that much then go IGP and sell old pool for a few dollars.
Absolutely. An IGP is a black hole for $. From the initial cost to install, the ever-rising cost of chemicals and labor charges for annual openings and closings, it'll hit your pocketbook hard.

But the crux of the matter, as you pointed out so well, the kids grow into teens and young adults fast. Before you know it, they may use it just a few times per season. And on LI the season is maybe 8 weeks, if you're lucky, with perhaps a few outliers of warm May, June and indian summer days.

The killer for me was its attached to what is most people's most valuable asset, their home. Any problems with the IGP and you MUST fix it or it will affect your property value. All of sudden the returns don't work or the drain line is blocked, get ready to have your pocket picked (my last plumbing problem on the IGP cost $150/hour for the dude to come and dig up the flex line).

That's where a nice trailerable Boston Whaler comes in handy. Too much maintenance, too much expense, or you just get sick of launching the boat every time, just sell the darn boat. Not so easy with the IGP on LI.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Absolutely. An IGP is a black hole for $. From the initial cost to install, the ever-rising cost of chemicals and labor charges for annual openings and closings, it'll hit your pocketbook hard.

But the crux of the matter, as you pointed out so well, the kids grow into teens and young adults fast. Before you know it, they may use it just a few times per season. And on LI the season is maybe 8 weeks, if you're lucky, with perhaps a few outliers of warm May, June and indian summer days.

The killer for me was its attached to what is most people's most valuable asset, their home. Any problems with the IGP and you MUST fix it or it will affect your property value. All of sudden the returns don't work or the drain line is blocked, get ready to have your pocket picked (my last plumbing problem on the IGP cost $150/hour for the dude to come and dig up the flex line).

That's where a nice trailerable Boston Whaler comes in handy. Too much maintenance, too much expense, or you just get sick of launching the boat every time, just sell the darn boat. Not so easy with the IGP on LI.
Thanks. Already have a small AGP but want to go bigger and more "permanent" so to speak. Amazingly they now have a top of the line doughboy model that can be installed AGP, IGP or semi and get this, can have a deep end up to 7'. Crazy. Might go with that, installed semi-inground. Still a lot of dough. At least I don't care what the kids do. I know I am the one who will use it most.

Quote:
$2k?! What decade was that?! Electrical and permits alone will be way over $2k!! Gotta pay the gestapo to play around these parts.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:50 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,049 times
[/quote] $2k?! What decade was that?! Electrical and permits alone will be way over $2k!! Gotta pay the gestapo to play around these parts.[/quote]

Town of Islip 1986. "Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits!"

Old 08-17-2014, 04:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
Sorry, but i LOVE my new IGP. I could care less about the upkeep, which i do myself, and resale value??? Well I dont expect to get ANY of the $ invested. Whatever...doesnt matter to me....as i float in pool with a beer.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Sorry, but i LOVE my new IGP. I could care less about the upkeep, which i do myself, and resale value??? Well I dont expect to get ANY of the $ invested. Whatever...doesnt matter to me....as i float in pool with a beer.
I'd prefer an IGP, but a 16x24 oval semi inground (all I can fit) w/ a deep end, inground pump and filter, heat pump and a nice 6 person hot tub for $20k and lower tax implications makes more sense to me than $40+k for the IGP. My wife will almost never use it anyway and my wife and kid want the hot tub way more than the pool.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,529 times
Quote:
I wish our AGP cost only 2K. That was just the pool alone! Luckily, the old homeowners already had an electrical hook up for an AGP. With the addition of leveling, sand, bricks, chemicals, hiring a handyman to build a step so the ladder met the deck, the pool cost at least 4-5k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: