Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:10 AM

85 posts, read 433,278 times

Advertisements

what are the differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 08:48 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
First thing is one is on the northern part of LI and the other is on southern part.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:43 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
what are the differences?
South shore is flat, north shore is hilly

Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
many parts of the north shore are more isolated & take longer to get to a highway, south shore as a general rule has better access to major roads. south shore waterfront property is usually on a canal, most of north shore waterfront is on bluffs or directly on the LI sound. Both north & south shores have their share of quaint villages like Sayville & Port Jeff.
I have lived on both shores & while I love the convenience of the south shore, the north shore feels like home to me.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:21 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Some of these will be dated but...

North Shore: Rocky beaches
South Shore: Sandy beaches

North Shore: New England/Westchester vibe
South Shore: Brooklyn/Queens vibe.

North Shore: Sail boats
South Shore: Clam boats (once a upon a time)

North Shore: Sprawling ranch
South Shore: Splanch

North Shore: Engineers & architects
South Shore: Techs and carpenters

North Shore: College
South Shore: Technical school

North Shore: Yacht Club
South Shore: Knights of Columbus

North Shore: Beauty pageant
South Shore: Beauty school

North Shore: Worked by the Twin Towers
South Shore: Built the Twin Towers

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 12-24-2007 at 10:46 AM..

Old 12-24-2007, 11:23 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
The south shore is pine tree's and ocean.

North shore is bushes and the LI sound = rocky beaches and no waves.

North shore way better for asthma sufferers.

S. shore is flat, N. shore is hilly.

To each his own, but I prefer the N. shore.I've lived on both, they are both beautiful but people like different things so I'll leave it at that.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:28 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
North shore way better for asthma sufferers.

Why is that? I would like to know more about this.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 PM

54 posts, read 225,109 times
ClarkStreetKid almost has it right but south shore does have Molloy College. parts of Hewlett have that north shore vibe in the harbor. North shore is hilly and yes new enland vibe. South shore flat-but more diversity in the way the areas look. Some look like Queens, with blocks, some on cul de sacs, some hilly and new englandish. I too like both for different reasons. I just went to Byville for the first time last week near the scream park. I felt like I was in Conn.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Bayville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcmcw View Post
I just went to Byville for the first time last week near the scream park.

For those who may not be familiar with Bayville:

Bayville is a village (incorporated in 1919) in the north part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the northeast part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Bayville in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by Long Island Sound; on the east by the Village of Centre Island; on the south by Oyster Bay Harbor and the Village of Mill Neck; and, on the west by the Village of Lattingtown and the Hamlet of Locust Valley.

Bayville is one of the many villages and hamlets where the majority of places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the village: places with a "Bayville, NY 11709" mailing address that are not in the Village of Bayville are in the Village of Centre Island, the Village of Mill Neck and the Hamlet of Locust Valley.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Bayville-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-26-2007, 12:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Default Traffic is a funny thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
many parts of the north shore are more isolated & take longer to get to a highway, south shore as a general rule has better access to major roads. south shore waterfront property is usually on a canal, most of north shore waterfront is on bluffs or directly on the LI sound. Both north & south shores have their share of quaint villages like Sayville & Port Jeff.
I have lived on both shores & while I love the convenience of the south shore, the north shore feels like home to me.
I would agree about the access to major roads being better on the south shore as a general rule. The pleasant surprise I found when moving east and north was I could be by family/work/friend visits back in the other counties quicker even though I was farther...I call it the "Southern State Parkway" corrollary (spelling)...the further you are from it, the better traffic (and your life) feels..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island