Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:59 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

SL I agree with you, and agree with the other poster about family...My family is Not supportive about us moving to NC and Ive spoken to omg I cant even count how many people that left NY and NJ, more so LI people and they absoultely love it...All places have their good and bads ut for the most part I have heard alot more Possitives (union County) MOSTLY than negatives, as I am from brooklyn and then staten island and been in jersey for 7 yrs....Its time for us to move out of NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 PM

68 posts, read 247,044 times
Default Similar situation...

Hi everyone:

I am originally from Long Island (Bellmore) and moved when I was a young teenager to California. Since that move, I have lived in South Florida and hated it there and moved back to Southern Cal where I met my husband. Neither of us are wild about California - the miserable traffic and hyper-aggressive drivers are making me nuts. On a recent trip to Long Island to visit family, my husband fell in love with the place. I love it too, but then I am biased. We have been seriously considering moving back there for the last few months. Believe it or not, housing is cheaper there than where we live. I am getting concerned about being back in the cold weather....brrr! I would love some advice on how you handle the cold/snow. We are planning a visit in January to see what's going on house/job-wise and to see how I can tolerate the frosty weather.

Also, any advice on the job market would be great (I am an executive assistant and my hubby has an M.B.A. in marketing). Thanks in advance and good luck to you all!!

Old 12-21-2006, 01:51 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalou View Post
Hi everyone:

I am originally from Long Island (Bellmore) and moved when I was a young teenager to California. Since that move, I have lived in South Florida and hated it there and moved back to Southern Cal where I met my husband. Neither of us are wild about California - the miserable traffic and hyper-aggressive drivers are making me nuts. On a recent trip to Long Island to visit family, my husband fell in love with the place. I love it too, but then I am biased. We have been seriously considering moving back there for the last few months. Believe it or not, housing is cheaper there than where we live. I am getting concerned about being back in the cold weather....brrr! I would love some advice on how you handle the cold/snow. We are planning a visit in January to see what's going on house/job-wise and to see how I can tolerate the frosty weather.

Also, any advice on the job market would be great (I am an executive assistant and my hubby has an M.B.A. in marketing). Thanks in advance and good luck to you all!!
It's still not cold here

Are you planning on working in manhattan? You will make a lot more money in manhattan but you will have to deal with the commute.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Reply to NY-Dallas

I am hoping not to have to commute to Manhattan if I can avoid it, but will do it if need be. My husband is totally willing to commute....as a native Californian, I don't think he will fully appreciate what a pain that will be (waiting for trains, walking to the next one, etc.). But maybe it will be kind of exciting for him for a while! And it might be a nice change for me from the ugly So Cal traffic.

Thanks for the weather update - I saw it was upper 40's-50. Warm for December!! So maybe it won't be so bad after all. I'll just have to get a nice heavy parka, scarf, hat, gloves, and boots. Then I will be ready to brave the wind chill factor once again.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:12 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,151 times
Welcome back to New York.

Winter only lasts three months, with the last month of March usually mild.

Better to be happy ten months a year than to be miserable all year long in a place you don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalou View Post
Hi everyone:

Old 12-23-2006, 11:31 AM

Thanks, RallyMonkey! That makes alot of sense...we have been doing tons of research on other areas and nothing quite measures up to Long Island for us. And I am sure that just like living in any type of climate, we will adjust to it over time. It will be tough to leave my husband's family behind here in Cali, but they've been invited to join us and they don't want to. Chickens!

Old 12-26-2006, 01:12 PM

26 posts, read 113,736 times
Hey guys, there is one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough when talking about missing Long Island. The weather! NY weather is the pits. Winters too long, summers way too humid. Mosquitoes the size of small airplanes love Long Island in the summer.

I visit my sister every year in Dix Hills and while it is very enjoyable, especially since she has a pool, I am always glad to get back to SoCal (next summer it will be getting back to Ashland, Oregon).

NY is great and I miss it too but don't miss that weath-uh.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,166 times
I moved from Rocky Point to Holly Springs NC in 2005. I left My job at Verizon and went to work for the power company in Raleigh. I did it for my kids. I made good money on Long Island, but could not afford to buy a bigger home with more land. Down here I have a brand new home with almost an acre of land. I took a step back in my career, however for my wife and I it was all about the children. Here they can play in the streets, front yard, or back yard. There are plenty of parks and playgrounds, and they are all clean. One big factor was My parents also bought a home in the area as well as my in laws did. This helps alot. I miss Long Island, but after being there for a day or two I can not wait to go back to NC.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I'm right next door to you in Apex...... the shiny newness that gets you all excited about being in NC wears off after a few years. I have never lived in Long Island so I can't judge how life compares here to there. But I can say that Wake County NC is pretty overrated. It's a nice place to live and all, but I'm ready to get back to Upstate NY.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:42 PM

221 posts, read 746,558 times
Krista, as far as weather we have been have very UNUSUALLY high temperatures, so this is not the year to be comparing to. I think we even broke a record the other day.
Yes, NY is definitely cheaper than Calif. but still high compared to other areas. If you are planning to buy be prepared to spend $500k plus for a 2000 sq ft 40 year old house that needs alot of work and taxes are $10k.
But coming from Calif this may be very cheap to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island