Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM

168 posts, read 289,788 times

Advertisements

Hi,

5 years ago I bought a Honda, in a different state. The deal was basically like this:

- Email from me to the dealer: "I'm interested in this model".
- Email from the dealer: Check this website, look colors/options.
- Email from me: Ok, I like this and that.
- Email from the dealer: It's $XXXXX for this and $XXX for that option. Already the "low" price... way lower than the MSRP... way lower than other classic dealers were giving me the "classic" way.
- Email from me: OK, I'll test it.

I go one day just for testing it (no discussions that day at all, not trying to sell anything else).

Back home.
- Email from me to the dealer: I buy it. That was the price.

So, I went one morning, in 1 hour, he did all the paperwork, got me a financing with a local bank and the deal was done. He didn't try to push extended warranties, other options... nothing. As simple as that.

Few days after, the car was waiting for me with the options I chose. I picked it up. Done.

So, here's the question: In Nassau County, does anybody know of any car dealership (official) from a major brand, that works like this?

I've tried few "Internet departments" around and they are like: Well, get an appointment to come and then we'll discuss.... in other words, the classic style.... are there any TRUE internet department around here where you can do all the discussions and pricing via email?

Thanks,

Regards,
Hipo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Ugh, I'm up here buying a car this weekend, and they don't seem to exist. Seems like most dealerships just have salesmen troll the incoming emails to make a deal in person. I tied Edmunds Price Promise, and the salesman still tried to talk up the price. Part of my problem, however, is that I have a trade in, so I can only finalize so much remotely.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:18 PM

196 posts, read 418,905 times
I used the Consumer Reports Price Promise from the dealerships both times I purchased my car and it worked. I did have to argue a bit with the Mazda dealership when they told me the sale price does not equate to the lease price, which is a bold faced lie, and their initial offer had me laughing when I showed how it didn't even equate to that CR price. The BMW dealership gave me the CR Report price no questions asked altho he did mention "that's generally a price we use to get you in the door to discuss other options." But the consumer reports price says clear as day on it that the dealer will match that price. And if they don't, another dealership will. You have to play the dealerships against each other.

Car buying is all about whether or not you are willing to walk away from a car when you discuss price. If the dealer knows you want the car badly, they will take advantage of that. When I got the Mazda, I just kept repeatedly saying their competitor dealership will give me a better price, and I got them down considerably. You have to be willing to walk out the door and try somewhere else.

I highly recommend anyone starting out the car buying process listen to this podcast where they actually follow around salesman at a LI dealership for a month. You really get an idea of how to approach a purchase from this, the most important being that the salesman is really not the enemy...the guy in the back room is:

129 Cars | This American Life

Old 08-29-2014, 01:45 PM

189 posts, read 345,489 times
When I bought my new car in Jan I emailed the dealers saying this is what im looking for. they came back with a price. then i worked the dealers agaisnt each other until i got one to give me the lowest price. never had to go into to talk. only went in to do the paperwork

Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipogrito View Post
Hi,

5 years ago I bought a Honda, in a different state. The deal was basically like this:

- Email from me to the dealer: "I'm interested in this model".
- Email from the dealer: Check this website, look colors/options.
- Email from me: Ok, I like this and that.
- Email from the dealer: It's $XXXXX for this and $XXX for that option. Already the "low" price... way lower than the MSRP... way lower than other classic dealers were giving me the "classic" way.
- Email from me: OK, I'll test it.

I go one day just for testing it (no discussions that day at all, not trying to sell anything else).

Back home.
- Email from me to the dealer: I buy it. That was the price.

So, I went one morning, in 1 hour, he did all the paperwork, got me a financing with a local bank and the deal was done. He didn't try to push extended warranties, other options... nothing. As simple as that.

Few days after, the car was waiting for me with the options I chose. I picked it up. Done.

So, here's the question: In Nassau County, does anybody know of any car dealership (official) from a major brand, that works like this?

I've tried few "Internet departments" around and they are like: Well, get an appointment to come and then we'll discuss.... in other words, the classic style.... are there any TRUE internet department around here where you can do all the discussions and pricing via email?

Thanks,

Regards,
Hipo
I did this exact thing with douglaston Chevrolet last year. I didn't meet the salesman till I went in and signed papers and drove out 15mins later.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 PM

168 posts, read 289,788 times
Hi unknownuser123,

Which dealerships were those?

Thanks,

Old 08-29-2014, 02:24 PM

189 posts, read 345,489 times
Audi of smithtown and beiner audi in great neck

Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
My brother went through a Costco program that just gave him prices through dealerships with no hassle. So if you're a member that's one route. It was for a Hyundai he ended up getting.

Earlier we tried the same thing with a Hyundai dealer nearby and when I went in for "testing" they still talked price with us. In the end it was still a typical car salesman deal. You really have to find the right dealership that has a true internet sales dept.

What make are you looking for?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Bought a Ford van in November. Used the Internet Sales of a NH dealer I has used for an earlier purchase. It was a fleet purchase so there was no need to test drive the van. They didn't meet my demand to have the paperwork processed by a specific day, so they delivered the van to the Bridgeport Ferry terminal rather than lose the sale. The completion of the deal hinged upon my inspection of the van. A smooth transaction.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 PM

59 posts, read 98,637 times
I used True Car in February to purchase my 2014 Volvo, and it went exactly as you described. I was very clear that I wanted to do it all over the phone, and the only trip we made to the dealer was to sign the papers and drive the car home. Couldn't be more satisfied. The dealer I used was in Rockville Centre, Nassau County. I live in Suffolk…..it was worth the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island