Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:16 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Now I understand .. You're a cop right?
LOL...that,s funny...no, Im not a cop....but obviously you mist be such a ravishing beauty that every cop just wants to hit on you.

Do you look in the mirror much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:53 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
What's funny is that nowhere in my entire post did I mention that my civil rights had been violated. YOU brought them up so I am surmising that YOU came to the conclusion that my civil rights had been violated.
No, not every cop, but the officer in question certainly did try and hit on me.
How did "I" create the situation? By being a young woman alone? Had he just left well enough alone.. It would have ended in the parking lot of the convenience store.
I bet you're one of those guys who feel that a woman who gets raped probably did something to deserve it huh?

Last edited by Sydney123; 09-10-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
LOL...that,s funny...no, Im not a cop....but obviously you mist be such a ravishing beauty that every cop just wants to hit on you.

Do you look in the mirror much?
Just enough to see Johnny Law's lights a'flashing.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
Good for you Sydney. Of course, I wasn't asked my name because the cop was flirting, unless he was a member of the Village People, but it was still unnecessary. They think that a badge is license to interacting with you just because they feel like it. I will do the same as you next time it happens to me. And it will happen because I will go to a similar area just to prove my point. I won't be breaking the law. Just looking for so e good sales in a depressed neighborhood.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:58 AM

321 posts, read 595,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
They think that a badge is license to interacting with you just because they feel like it.

Are you serious? You're offended because someone asked you your name and where you're from etc?

I spend a lot of time in Vermont and up there people will just walk up to you at the coffee shop and ask your name, where you are from, what you do for a living, etc etc.

It's the same thing that happened to you here. You weren't detained. You had a voluntary interaction with some cops working their beat. You should get over yourself.

As for the girl getting stopped on her motorcycle for no reason and subsequently handcuffed... that's an entirely different issue. I can't see how anyone would defend those actions.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post

I spend a lot of time in Vermont and up there people will just walk up to you at the coffee shop and ask your name, where you are from, what you do for a living, etc etc.
that is true...people in VT are so friendly, it caused a shock into my system. Once I asked for direction, the gentleman leaned in body on my door car......I almost wanted to kick his head in. It turned out he was beyond friendly

Old 09-13-2014, 04:53 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Lol I am pretty sure that the cops weren't just being friendly and this why most defense lawyers tell you to never answer any questions or volunteer info. These people are experts at interrogation and will use what you say against you in a NY minute.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Lol I am pretty sure that the cops weren't just being friendly and this why most defense lawyers tell you to never answer any questions or volunteer info. These people are experts at interrogation and will use what you say against you in a NY minute.
Reminds me of this quote from a crime novel:

Quote:
I walked into Jerry Vincent’s office. It was large and opulent and empty. I turned in a full circle until I found myself staring into the bugged eyes of a large fish mounted on the wall over a dark wood credenza next to the door I had come through. The fish was a beautiful green with a white underbelly. Its body was arched as if it had frozen solid just at the moment it had jumped out of the water. Its mouth was open so wide I could have put my fist in it.

Mounted on the wall beneath the fish was a brass plate. It said:

If I’d Kept My Mouth Shut I Wouldn’t Be Here

Words to live by, I thought. Most criminal defendants talk their way into prison. Few talk their way out. The best single piece of advice I have ever given a client is to just keep your mouth shut. Talk to no one about your case, not even your own wife. You keep close counsel with yourself. You take the nickel and you live to fight another day.
The Brass Verdict Excerpt - The Brass Verdict (2008) - MichaelConnelly.com

Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM

93 posts, read 139,735 times
Default Be Diplomatic About It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am a proponent of the Police. Overall, they do a good job. However, this past Saturday! I think they were just abusing their power with me. It was a rare day that I was able to leave my house and do anything other than watch my two young children, mow the lawn, etc. I haven't had a free day in years. I drove to St Charles Cemetary in East farmingdale (?) to visit my mom. I decided I was going to hit a few garage sales and even look for a crappy $2000 car to use for work instead of killing my new one by driving 400 miles each week.

I headed east on Conklin and figured I would drive til I get to 231. I drove about a half mile east of the Cemetary and I passed a garage sale sign. I made a right, another right and a third right to get to the sale. I pulled up, walked over and saw a woman selling a lot of socks and underwear from her store in Queens. Since I mainly look for records, collectibles or tools, I walked a way. As I was walking toward my car, a police car, driven by a black officer pulled up alongside of me. He rolled his window down and just stared at me. How's it going? He asked, OK. he asked my name. He said it sounds familiar. I told hi there were a few million of us in NY. Lots of silence as his buddy typed on his laptop. He asked what I was doing? I told him I was going to garage sales. He asked if I do it often and I said no. He asked where I lived and I told him. Again, lots of silence. Ideas going to ask if I should leave or was there anything else. After a few more questions, I left.
As 3 pm
Moderator cut: language removed was that. I was pretty agry when I drove away. What right does he have to ask me what I am doing and where I am going? At what point do the cops abuse their power? That badge doesn't give them the right to ask my agenda and expect me to succumb to them. I am a 50+ year old white male dring in a new car, leaving the cemetary (which I told him) and was no further than a few hundred feet away. I was about to outh off, and next time I am in this situation, I will. It was 3pm on a sunny Saturday afternoon at a garage sale and I felt like I was a suspect in a murder case. When it's happening, you feel like you are at their mercy but you know, I have rights. I don't have to explain anything. I will simply walk away next time and show them no respect. They do not deserve it when they are simply flexing their muscle and need their power fix.
Be Diplomatic About It.
I know it’s annoying, it makes us feel as though we live in a communist country; but I find most of the time a police officer stops me, I always answer them with respect, and they are usually very nice in return. If you get smart with them, you give them the opportunity to wise off and give you a hard time, they know they have the power. Some officers are there just to do their jobs, get their quotas in; they don’t care, and will be themselves. My advice to you, be cool or become a victim of “Stop & Frisk” or similar, it’s not a matter of being of a punk, you want peace.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:10 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
I must have created the situation by being a lone single female minding my own business? I don't think it was meaningless for a young woman to make a complaint against a officer who is clearly a using his power
To harass her ( I wasn't receptive to his flirting and his wanting to "know my name") under the color of authority. I am guessing that you are a man so it was "meaningless"to you.
If the stop was legal and justified.. Why wasn't I issued a citation, or arrested for failure to comply? He was obviously upset that I rejected him.. Why would he " let me off with a warning" if I had actually broken the law like he said? I guess he was just being a nice guy huh?
It was a total BS stop.. He knew it and I knew it.
Sure it would have been easier to comply, and just let him get away with his despicable behavior. You sound like his supervisor.
I'm glad there are people like you who will stand up to them and take the time to do so. I'm not anyone super important but I still have crap to do and people to be responsible for so I would not be evasive (at the store) like you were knowing that it could **** him off. You were within your rights, but sometimes (if you value your time), it's better to make the easier choice. Give up my rights... I'm sure it's possible that *could* get me in trouble but still, yeah maybe I will. Fight the good fight, but I don't want to spend time at a police station nor the back of a squad car twiddling my thumbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island