Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
Are you serious? You're offended because someone asked you your name and where you're from etc?

I spend a lot of time in Vermont and up there people will just walk up to you at the coffee shop and ask your name, where you are from, what you do for a living, etc etc.

It's the same thing that happened to you here. You weren't detained. You had a voluntary interaction with some cops working their beat. You should get over yourself.
Slightly different thing, but voluntary. The folks in VT aren't LEOs; they're questions don't have the potential to cause a person to implicate themselves.

Quote:
As for the girl getting stopped on her motorcycle for no reason and subsequently handcuffed... that's an entirely different issue. I can't see how anyone would defend those actions.
Three sides to every story: We have her side of the story which she can present with facts omitted or altered in an effort to garner sympathy. The cop isn't here to give us his side. We know the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 AM

652 posts, read 340,459 times
I have two cousins who are NYPD. They will ALWAYS side with any cop, any situation, any location. Whenever a story comes up where a cop was clearly in the wrong, one of them will shrug it off and claim that"anyone can have a bad day!" REALLY?? When most people have a bad day, it does not result in an innocent person getting detained or locked up. I have found that not to many cops have the courage to go against the "Blue Wall." There are no more Serpicos' out there.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
... There are no more Serpicos' out there.
Good. Damned rat.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Three sides to every story: We have her side of the story which she can present with facts omitted or altered in an effort to garner sympathy. The cop isn't here to give us his side. We know the truth is somewhere in the middle.
" to garner sympathy"? Why would I need to do that? I was simply relating an incident that happened to me.
I stood up for myself and didn't need any sympathy then nor do I need it now.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
I just realized you are a Californian...splains all lucy.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
I was reading that CCRB which is anti cop says that 1/3 off all complaints are completely false. Thousands of complaints a year that damage a Police Officers career. What happens to these people? Nothing! They should be arrested for make a false allegation. Instead they get a free pass! Almost the other 2/3 of complaints are unable to be substantiated. They only find the cop at fault I believe under 5% of the time. Most cops are just like anyone else. Normal blue collar guys. Yes you can meet a guy who isn't a great guy or had a lousy day. But for the most part they are normal people doing a very difficult job. Its very easy to say what you would do. Step into the shoes of a Police Officer and see it through their eyes. For every bad story there are a hundred stories of a Police Officer helping someone out that you will never hear!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Good. Damned rat.
Yea, who did he think he was, fighting corruption and all that other silly stuff.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I was reading that CCRB which is anti cop says that 1/3 off all complaints are completely false. Thousands of complaints a year that damage a Police Officers career. What happens to these people? Nothing! They should be arrested for make a false allegation. Instead they get a free pass! Almost the other 2/3 of complaints are unable to be substantiated. They only find the cop at fault I believe under 5% of the time. Most cops are just like anyone else. Normal blue collar guys. Yes you can meet a guy who isn't a great guy or had a lousy day. But for the most part they are normal people doing a very difficult job. Its very easy to say what you would do. Step into the shoes of a Police Officer and see it through their eyes. For every bad story there are a hundred stories of a Police Officer helping someone out that you will never hear!

But but but but the media cant sell papers that way... besides, it's cool now to hate the "pigs", right???

Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
That is a point that I had not considered, but even in those cases, the cop has a very strong union to represent him and ensure his rights are protected. The process, I imagine, goes through many stages. An encounter with an unfair cop on the street will have an immediate and potentially devastating effect on an otherwise law abiding citizen. Most people, I believe, would have a more positive attitude toward the police if regular rank and file cops did not always seem to look the other way when another cop steps over the line. There are stories in the paper all the time about off duty cops messing with civilians while another off duty cop does nothing to stop him.
The old "walk a mile in his shoes" argument is really kind of weak. By that logic, nobody should criticize any politician or judge if you haven't held that position yourself. I'm not a powerful and rich Wall Street guy, but I KNOW what Bernie Madoff did was wrong. Sometimes it's just common sense.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:06 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
That is a point that I had not considered, but even in those cases, the cop has a very strong union to represent him and ensure his rights are protected. The process, I imagine, goes through many stages. An encounter with an unfair cop on the street will have an immediate and potentially devastating effect on an otherwise law abiding citizen. Most people, I believe, would have a more positive attitude toward the police if regular rank and file cops did not always seem to look the other way when another cop steps over the line. There are stories in the paper all the time about off duty cops messing with civilians while another off duty cop does nothing to stop him.
The old "walk a mile in his shoes" argument is really kind of weak. By that logic, nobody should criticize any politician or judge if you haven't held that position yourself. I'm not a powerful and rich Wall Street guy, but I KNOW what Bernie Madoff did was wrong. Sometimes it's just common sense.
I agree it takes common sense. However the vast majority of Police Officers do their job without any complaints from the community. It is not an easy job. Its also a job if you make a mistake you can be charged with a crime. Police Officers often are put in a position to make a split second decision and then have that decision Monday morning quarterbacked for months on end by someone that has never been in that position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island