Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 AM

68 posts, read 247,048 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've been commuting on the Babylon line of the LIRR for 4 years (from Bellmore). It's brutal, kids. Lately even the parking has gotten significantly worse, and I have no idea why. Both my husband and I work in NYC (I'm in midtown west, and he's further uptown on the east side, but his office may move to LIC - a nightmare). The Babylon line seems to be the one with the most issues, and the Port Washington line less so. I'm thinking of moving to a different town to see if this lessens the aggravation a bit. I know the whole LIRR system is horrible, but there must be somewhere on the Island that has a better commute that is safe and reasonably priced (we rent) --so unfortunately, we're probably not going to find anything along the Port Washington line (unless there's something I don't know about over there). I had toyed with the idea of finding a job on LI, but then we'd have to live under a bridge.

I'd love some insight - especially from our life long city commuters! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
The Babylon line is one of the better lines. You should be grateful and thank the conductors for allowing you to board those trains.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
I'm assuming getting an apartment somewhere in NYC is out of the question?

If so, why not seek an apartment within walking distance of a LIRR station? RVC, Lynbrook, Mineola, and many others have apartment buildings in close proximity to the train station.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 AM

730 posts, read 1,657,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalou View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been commuting on the Babylon line of the LIRR for 4 years (from Bellmore). It's brutal, kids. Lately even the parking has gotten significantly worse, and I have no idea why. Both my husband and I work in NYC (I'm in midtown west, and he's further uptown on the east side, but his office may move to LIC - a nightmare). The Babylon line seems to be the one with the most issues, and the Port Washington line less so. I'm thinking of moving to a different town to see if this lessens the aggravation a bit. I know the whole LIRR system is horrible, but there must be somewhere on the Island that has a better commute that is safe and reasonably priced (we rent) --so unfortunately, we're probably not going to find anything along the Port Washington line (unless there's something I don't know about over there). I had toyed with the idea of finding a job on LI, but then we'd have to live under a bridge.

I'd love some insight - especially from our life long city commuters! Thanks in advance!

I take the 6:49 out of Bellmore every day and have been commuting from Bellmore for 17 years.

While I certainly don't enjoy the commute, it is bearable. Read a book, sit in the quiet car, take a nap, listen to music, whatever it takes to distract yourself. The ride seems so much longer when you are not doing one of these things. I haven't checked the statistics in a while, but the Babylon line used to have one of the best on time performance results of any of the lines. It is rare that there is a delay or service disruption on the Babylon line (having said that, there will probably be one on my way home tonight).

As far as the parking situation is concerned, due to the end of the summer approaching, there are fewer commuters on vacation and school has started again, which may effect parking.

I don't believe moving to another line will decrease your frustration.

Unfortunately, there is no other way to get into NYC at this price without even more aggravation (driving).

Old 09-10-2014, 11:44 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
how about move to Westchester?

I agree that Babylon line isn't the worst line on the LIRR....its probably above average imo

Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 PM

260 posts, read 450,810 times
Mineola area would be great- there are direct trains to LIC....where does your husband work? I'd LOVE that commute versus hauling into Manhattan!

Old 09-10-2014, 12:12 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
The Port Washington line was good in the past, I have not used it in a few years. Since it is not on the main line, you avoid problems that do impact other branches. If you are interested in commuting from there you could look for an apartment in Little Neck or you might find a coop in Great Neck being sublet.

Otherwise, as mentioned prior Mineola is a good option with several apartment buildings.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:52 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
my quick and dirty LIRR line rankings:

Port Washington
Long Beach (as long as you're not going to Long Beach)
Babylon
Hempstead/West Hempstead (seemingly too many Jamaica transfers)
Ronkonkoma/Port Jeff/Oyster Bay (all tied for last)

Old 09-10-2014, 01:08 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
SIB, the Long Beach line is pretty terrible. The trains are slow, they're at least 5-7 minutes behind whatever the schedule says, and outside of premium rush hour, the schedule is really infrequent. Definitely not an improvement over the Babylon line.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
What time do you leave to go to the city? Are you getting on a train after 9:00 when everything starts becoming locals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island