Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 05:31 PM

413 posts, read 598,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Call your local hometown oil burner service company. The closer the better and it's good to use the local hometown guy in my opinion. If you don't have any luck let me know and I will help you out.
Great service company by me but they want $325 (less for some but I have 3 zones) and don't cover everything. Petro was $109 and free after credit and covers soup to nuts. My initial tune up was the best I've ever gotten. Guy practically refurb'd the whole unit and did the most through cleaning I've seen in 10 years.

Have to hand it to the big guys (Petro). They know how to play the game. Charged me $3.29 which should tick me off but my ceiling is $3.50. First tank was $3.39 when prices were still in the $3.70's before the crude price plummet. They keep the daily price just high enough above COD and just low enough below ceiling to make it not worth eating the $399 penalty and signing up elsewhere. Crafty buggers.

They fill often so my bill isn't a monster and I'm not using sludgy oil and the service (knock wood) was the best I've had so all in all I'm satisfied. Yeah, I could save a few bucks but I'll pay the small premium for low stress and so far they're ok by me...and I don't say that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 06:01 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Great service company by me but they want $325 (less for some but I have 3 zones) and don't cover everything. Petro was $109 and free after credit and covers soup to nuts. My initial tune up was the best I've ever gotten. Guy practically refurb'd the whole unit and did the most through cleaning I've seen in 10 years.

Have to hand it to the big guys (Petro). They know how to play the game. Charged me $3.29 which should tick me off but my ceiling is $3.50. First tank was $3.39 when prices were still in the $3.70's before the crude price plummet. They keep the daily price just high enough above COD and just low enough below ceiling to make it not worth eating the $399 penalty and signing up elsewhere. Crafty buggers.

They fill often so my bill isn't a monster and I'm not using sludgy oil and the service (knock wood) was the best I've had so all in all I'm satisfied. Yeah, I could save a few bucks but I'll pay the small premium for low stress and so far they're ok by me...and I don't say that much.
Exactly the same here marigold. I expected the service call to be 30 min, change the oil filter and out, but he was extremely through, I was amazed how much he did as well as safety check everything. Very pleasantly surprised. Also same here with oil fill, just filled mine 2 days ago for 3.29, not as low as cod but way lower than I paying last year that's for sure.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:13 AM

87 posts, read 559,334 times
Rocafeller, I was not aware of that. Thank you for the education. May change things a little.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
No problem.

$3.29 vs $2.76 is a .53 cent difference per gallon. Enough for me to buy oil COD and get a service contract ala cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI BraveOne View Post
Rocafeller, I was not aware of that. Thank you for the education. May change things a little.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:24 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Locked in at $3.05 fixed with Meenans with $99 service contract that is 24/7 and covers 3 zones and the hot water heater.

Re: the parts coverage, I compared to Slomin's, who apparently is on crack. They want $129 to cover 1 zone with minimal parts covered, and to cover additional zones it was $69 EACH, plus an additional $75 to cover the water heater. So, triple the cost for less parts covered. Oh, and they also quoted $3.19 fixed.

Slomin's can bite me.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:48 AM

519 posts, read 597,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Exactly the same here marigold. I expected the service call to be 30 min, change the oil filter and out, but he was extremely through, I was amazed how much he did as well as safety check everything. Very pleasantly surprised. Also same here with oil fill, just filled mine 2 days ago for 3.29, not as low as cod but way lower than I paying last year that's for sure.

Stockholm syndrome?

oil's under $2.50 and plunging. That's one awfully expensive tune up.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 AM

94 posts, read 221,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Stockholm syndrome?

Where can I get oil $2.50 or less? I just cancelled with Frank Brother's and am looking to lock in a price this week which would hopefully include a service contract. However, if I can get COD for under $2.50, I would be willing to just get the service contract elsewhere.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:17 AM

519 posts, read 597,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_ss View Post
Where can I get oil $2.50 or less? I just cancelled with Frank Brother's and am looking to lock in a price this week which would hopefully include a service contract. However, if I can get COD for under $2.50, I would be willing to just get the service contract elsewhere.
Codfuel

I checked your ZIP (kings park?) and its pulling up slightly higher prices, different companies. Wait til tuesday or call around. Oil just collapsed this friday.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:19 AM

94 posts, read 221,115 times
Quote:
Codfuel

I checked your ZIP (kings park?) and its pulling up slightly higher prices, different companies. Wait til tuesday or call around. Oil just collapsed this friday.
Yes, Kings Park. 11754.

Ok, I will make some calls around Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:04 PM

413 posts, read 598,661 times
Quote:
Stockholm syndrome?

Forgot to use my crystal ball when making the deal 5 months ago and #2 was $3.60+ COD. Hindsight is 20/20. Still the best service/tune up I've had and burner running more efficiently than in years. It's nice to be condescended to by the CD brain trust but let me explain it. So far I've paid $252.50 more for oil than I would have with COD (I've been tracking it all along just like you). My 3rd party service contract was quoted twice at $325. My current, BETTER contract $0. Net savings: $72.50 or "the expensive tune up" you describe. Add the stress and headaches I've NOT had with the new provider: Priceless! BTW, nothing close to $2.50 cod for me. Today's cash (not CC) price is $2.70 but you're right it should come down more as crude took another nose dive end of last week. When my contract is up if I had a consistent service co. I'd seriously consider COD (actually I DID seriously consider it). Also, COD a lot easier on the monthly cash flow when it's $2.50. When it's $4.00 and a fill up is $800 it can be much tougher dropping that in cash on the spot and 0% net 30 can be an important benefit.

Last edited by marigold69; 11-30-2014 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island