Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
And I will be elected the next Pope.

You will never see any significant growth of the highway system again on Long Island.

And you will never see the pipe dream of a cross sound bridge or tunnel. No way is any politician going to allow emminent domain to be used to widen the LIE to accomadate tye traffic.
Where would eminent domain come into play in regards to widening the LIE????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 02:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If lunchtime means rush hour style traffic add it to the "things I don't miss" column.
As an soon to be resident of Delaware, I can't wait to start my own "things I don't miss" column!

Old 09-13-2014, 03:20 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,207 times
Traffic does suck here that's why I hate going places eventually I'll be leaving

Old 09-13-2014, 03:58 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,062,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Where would eminent domain come into play in regards to widening the LIE????
Im talking major widening....LIE should be at least 5 lanes wide....going to have to take over some houses and private property to do that.

Never going to happen, there is no Robert Moses around anymore

Old 09-13-2014, 05:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,362 times
Quote:
Im talking major widening....LIE should be at least 5 lanes wide....going to have to take over some houses and private property to do that.

What parts of the LIE would houses have to be torn down to widen it? I'm not doubting you, I'm sure driving 35 MPH on the LIE in the left Lane allows you to see more than I do.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:35 AM

Its 55 get it right.

A california style freeway with 5 or 6 lanes in both directions would require the LIE to be widened into the service lanes and, if service lanes are still needed you would have to take private property.

Many sections of the LIE have private property next to service lanes.

It would help if you drive with your eyes opened.

But alas the fantasy of a widened highway, a bridge to Connecticut, or any further major hihways being built on LIE is just a dream.

The power of Robert Moses allowed him to use eminent domain without any political backlash. He tore down huge sections of Bay Ridge to build the Verazzano bridge. He also took almost newly built homes in Seaford to build the Seaford Oyster Bay expressway. No one has the political clout to do those things today in this state.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:36 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Robert Moses left New Yorkers with huge infrastructure maintenance bills that later generations struggle to pay for. He was a builder, but not a very good planner.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:20 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,409,829 times
Robt Moses was an elitist and built roads simply to keep trucks off.. Now he's just a statue on the sidewalk of Babylon Village.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Robert Moses left New Yorkers with huge infrastructure maintenance bills that later generations struggle to pay for. He was a builder, but not a very good planner.
When you build bridges and roads they do have to be maintained. If the politicians didnt divert money from maintence, we wouldnt have to be paying large bills to basically rebuild infrastructure that was allowed to deteriorate.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:02 PM

69 posts, read 89,829 times
Quote:

widening would be a waste of money and resources. then you would have 5 lanes of idiots moving slowly along blocking traffic in all lanes. After experiencing German highways a few years back with 2 lanes and traffic moving safely in excess of 80mph with some areas of unlimited speed, the real solution is enforcing the drive right, left lane for passing only rule. everyone respects that rule there and things flow so much better. there are still jams, but on average it works better than our system of ever widening yet ever slowing highways where people feel entitled to dangerously sit in the passing lane. some states enforce that rule here. too bad we don't.

it would have been great if we had gotten that cross sound causeway built, but there were too many monied interests against it and you're right that we'll never see it happen.

on a related topic, why after they re-pave a highway do they leave the drains and manhole covers sunk in like speed-bumps?!

Last edited by simonlok; 09-14-2014 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island