Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:11 PM

480 posts, read 665,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
It's crazy. Fiance and I make middle class salaries and it's amazing how little the dollar stretches. It's quite sad how much harder it has become to stay here. I hear people at my work or friends in general talking about leaving.
We are aiming to have $5000 a month after taxes. And to have a starter home probably in the 300s somewhere in the town of East Northport. Of course making extra income by doing other things after work but I was curious on if you think that's doable and if not at what after taxes take home pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM

87 posts, read 557,836 times
I have yet to find a ghetto area or second class section of E. Northport. Many blue color, hard working people make up several neighborhoods which seems to be where you are or are striving for. I've lived here for 4+ years now and walk around the neighborhood (between Clay Pitts and 5th Ave) as well as drive around Northport, E. Northport and Commack often.

Some sections of E. Northport may be more desirable based on budgets, house size, lot size, schools, but I personally feel you cannot miss in E. Northport. I can't say that about many towns on Long Island. Again, my personal opinion.

You pay a hefty price tag in the way of taxes for Commack schools. We looked at a lot of homes in Commack up to the 450k mark and were incredibly disappointed. Maybe it was timing, but some people felt their homes were worth more than we were willing to shell out. Not to mention, you were paying 3-4k more in taxes for...? The schools? Are they that much better? I'm sure there are varying opinions. Personally, we didn't think so.

You'll drive yourself crazy if you obsess over school rankings and ratings. I'm not saying that all schools are equal but certain school districts excel in different areas and our school of thought was sculpted to looking at schools as being really bad or on a relatively same level. We started getting into rankings/ratings and quickly became stressed and concerned about the areas we were looking at. Based on the areas the OP is looking at (my wife and I also looked in the same areas) I don't see a bad neighborhood. If you find something that has good guts and within your price range, you should be fine.

We looked at over 100 homes during our house hunt and we started in E. Northport (Elwood section) until we realized it was out of our price range. We spent a lot of time in Greenlawn (north of Cuba Hill), Commack, Melville, Smithtown, Hauppauge and even W. Islip and wound up coming back to E. Northport east of where we started. We flat out LOVE our home and our neighborhood. Best decision we ever made.

Best of luck to the OP.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI BraveOne View Post
I have yet to find a ghetto area or second class section of E. Northport. Many blue color, hard working people make up several neighborhoods which seems to be where you are or are striving for. I've lived here for 4+ years now and walk around the neighborhood (between Clay Pitts and 5th Ave) as well as drive around Northport, E. Northport and Commack often.

Some sections of E. Northport may be more desirable based on budgets, house size, lot size, schools, but I personally feel you cannot miss in E. Northport. I can't say that about many towns on Long Island. Again, my personal opinion.

You pay a hefty price tag in the way of taxes for Commack schools. We looked at a lot of homes in Commack up to the 450k mark and were incredibly disappointed. Maybe it was timing, but some people felt their homes were worth more than we were willing to shell out. Not to mention, you were paying 3-4k more in taxes for...? The schools? Are they that much better? I'm sure there are varying opinions. Personally, we didn't think so.

You'll drive yourself crazy if you obsess over school rankings and ratings. I'm not saying that all schools are equal but certain school districts excel in different areas and our school of thought was sculpted to looking at schools as being really bad or on a relatively same level. We started getting into rankings/ratings and quickly became stressed and concerned about the areas we were looking at. Based on the areas the OP is looking at (my wife and I also looked in the same areas) I don't see a bad neighborhood. If you find something that has good guts and within your price range, you should be fine.

We looked at over 100 homes during our house hunt and we started in E. Northport (Elwood section) until we realized it was out of our price range. We spent a lot of time in Greenlawn (north of Cuba Hill), Commack, Melville, Smithtown, Hauppauge and even W. Islip and wound up coming back to E. Northport east of where we started. We flat out LOVE our home and our neighborhood. Best decision we ever made.

Best of luck to the OP.
I looked at a house or two online for listings on 4th and 5th. Homes in the 300s. Do you get a suburbia type of north shore vibe? We are used to the Nassau North Shore, about 30 min west. Obviously the best bet is to scope the area out and we are definitely interested in E. Northport. Taxes seem low too! Good starter homes in the 300s? Saw some 3 bed 2 bath ranches.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:00 PM

87 posts, read 557,836 times
I grew up on the South shore and never imagined living on the North shore. Spent some time in Melville before buying a home and fell in love with the North shore. Although, it's arguable if Melville is considered the North shore, so I've been told.

I'd be lying if I told you I fully understood what the North shore vibe is but E. Northport is a nice neighborhood altogether. Lots of shopping, Northport Village nearby and plenty of places to eat well. From my observations, the numbered "streets" to the west of Larkfield appear to have smaller lots and houses for our liking. We found something to the east of Larkfield.

I initially looked at our home as a starter but after being here 4 years, I have no vision on leaving anytime soon. If you have tolerance for a some senior citizens at the local supermarket trying to navigate the parking lot, you'll be happy you made the decision to move to E. Northport.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 AM

I drove by the area last night to the streets of 5th and 4th and thought that the town was actually a really cute town! I will have to check it out this weekend again in the daytime but I thought there were some really nice homes from what I saw.

The first house that I saw was on a main street right off of Jericho Turnpike, North of it. Is that considered East Northport? I don't believe so.

I drove further north and that felt more like East Northport. May be the one right off of Jericho Turnpike was Commack?

What I'm probably going to do is write out a map or highlight areas that I see on websites that have high crime and to not even look in areas like those. I think Trulia.com is a good source for that unless anyone else has any other sites that map out recent crimes in the last six months? Does city data.com do that?

Old 09-19-2014, 10:35 AM

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

For people who live in East Northport I noticed that the numbered streets are actually according to this website the worst and most unsafest area to live in. I have not noticed online any stabbings or shootings or anything like that listed. Does anyone who lives in the area know of these numbered streets such as 3rd Avenue and 4th and 5th Street?

Last edited by Yac; 09-24-2014 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 01:04 PM

196 posts, read 416,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

For people who live in East Northport I noticed that the numbered streets are actually according to this website the worst and most unsafest area to live in. I have not noticed online any stabbings or shootings or anything like that listed. Does anyone who lives in the area know of these numbered streets such as 3rd Avenue and 4th and 5th Street?
unsafest compared to what? Ive never looked into it because they are safe. Never hear a word about crime in this town. I would recommend driving through those streets during the day, or even use googlemaps street view on those streets. You will see a lot of very well kept properties and pleasant homes. There is an obvious correlation in any area that the lowest priced homes will be more susceptible to crime, but it is not an issue in E. Northport.

Last edited by Yac; 09-24-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 02:46 PM

I see some reds and oranges at 5th and 6th Ave. Would prefer to stay away from those areas to be honest. Other areas seem fine. A section north of Pulaski has red and orange.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 PM

Compared to places like Central Islip and other places I guess seeing yellow and orange isn't as bad as seeing places in other towns that have street upon street of burglaries and shootings etc. I don't believe there any shootings in recent months for East Northport. I am more of a Northport type of person rather than East Northport to be honest.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,943,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
You know after all the searching I've been doing and all of the back-and-forth I've been doing as far as towns and trying to find information on them I feel that Northport in the $300,000-400,000 range have homes with lower taxes than now areas and if working on Long Island, is a great place to get a starter or settle into as a first home. As a first time home buyer after seeing photos of some of the houses on the home searching websites I definitely have a lot of interest in this area. My fiancé and I are used to the north shore style of living so concerns of mine were definitely living in areas that didn't have that same suburban vibe. It's good to know that even though we were considering or at least dreaming of finding some sort of steal in Locust Valley that Northport can deliver on being an area that is potentially good for first timers.
Thats great to know - thanks for sharing when no one asked!

I'll add Northport to your map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island