Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:16 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,943,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
I am more of a Northport type of person rather than East Northport to be honest.
how would you know? You no nothing about these areas except what you've read in the thread. You string points here and there to work in your favor to make it the location of the week without actually thinking if all those points can actually work together realistically in finding a home.

By the water?

Low taxes?

No shootings?

Houses in the 300s?

Best of luck finding a house in the 300s with low taxes in Northport that isn't completely falling apart. Can't wait to hear about the next town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:23 PM

480 posts, read 665,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
how would you know? You no nothing about these areas except what you've read in the thread. You string points here and there to work in your favor to make it the location of the week without actually thinking if all those points can actually work together realistically in finding a home.

By the water?

Low taxes?

No shootings?

Houses in the 300s?

Best of luck finding a house in the 300s with low taxes in Northport that isn't completely falling apart. Can't wait to hear about the next town!
Actually just went to a house that was 359 and you could find it on any home listing site and see the house and I was talking about. From my fiancé and I we love that house. Doesn't mean you have to.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:26 PM

9,916 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:
Actually just went to a house that was 359 and you could find it on any home listing site and see the house and I was talking about. From my fiancé and I we love that house. Doesn't mean you have to.
Pretty setting! For someone who doesn't mind old wallpaper, lots of wood paneling, old kitchen and bathrooms, etc. and focuses instead on the possibilities, the location, the low taxes and large property of this well maintained, charming home, it looks to be a good buy. Price started at $429k and now at $359k it is well positioned to sell quickly!
Too bad you're not ready to make an offer now (provided you'd qualify of course).

Sounds like you went to the Open House...

Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
So you're putting in an offer?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 AM

25 posts, read 38,186 times
OP here. This thread seems to have been hijacked, but just reporting back.

Checked out one home in east northport - honestly, we just weren't crazy about the street it was on. It wasn't bad by any means, but it just lacked something. There were a few homes on the block that just weren't kept very well and it cheapened the feel of the surrounding 8-10 homes. Also, no sidewalks. Not a total dealbreaker, but they would be nice.

We'll keep looking there, but this particular home / area wasn't a fit.

We also drove around Greenlawn. Not for a particular home, but just to get a feel for the area. What we found was strange. We ventured just south of Pulaski and just east of broadway / cuba hill (greenlawn park) - streets such as bartel, pine hollow, etc. What we found was that we really liked the area, but when we drove no more than 2 minutes south, things went downhill fast!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galama View Post
What we found was strange. We ventured just south of Pulaski and just east of broadway / cuba hill (greenlawn park) - streets such as bartel, pine hollow, etc. What we found was that we really liked the area, but when we drove no more than 2 minutes south, things went downhill fast!
Yes, and that area has improved from years ago. Not the best area, though the locals usually keep to their part of town.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Yes, and that area has improved from years ago. Not the best area, though the locals usually keep to their part of town.
Do you mean the area just south of Pulaski and north of Clay Pitts isn't the best area? The one we liked? Or the one south of there that seemed to be "downhill"

Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Do you mean the area just south of Pulaski and north of Clay Pitts isn't the best area? The one we liked? Or the one south of there that seemed to be "downhill"
The one south of Cuba Hill Road.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 AM

196 posts, read 416,785 times
Quote:
OP here. This thread seems to have been hijacked, but just reporting back.

Checked out one home in east northport - honestly, we just weren't crazy about the street it was on. It wasn't bad by any means, but it just lacked something. There were a few homes on the block that just weren't kept very well and it cheapened the feel of the surrounding 8-10 homes. Also, no sidewalks. Not a total dealbreaker, but they would be nice.

We'll keep looking there, but this particular home / area wasn't a fit.

We also drove around Greenlawn. Not for a particular home, but just to get a feel for the area. What we found was strange. We ventured just south of Pulaski and just east of broadway / cuba hill (greenlawn park) - streets such as bartel, pine hollow, etc. What we found was that we really liked the area, but when we drove no more than 2 minutes south, things went downhill fast!
Sorry, i thought I was still responding to you for a couple posts, not realizing it was our board troll chiming in.

I think you have to realize if you have a $400k ceiling there isn't a neighborhood on LI that won't have a few unkempt houses in them. Especially in this day and age when so many people bought high and are now facing foreclosure or have no money to do any improvements. Even the nicer areas have this problem. I think you have to manage expectations at that price point.

Yes, there is a bit of a sketchy area in SW Greenlawn, off Broadway between Cuba Hill and Jericho Tpke. Another reason I like E. Northport a lot because it is surrounded on all sides by good areas.

Also the vast majority of neighborhoods in Suffolk county do not have sidewalks, so good luck finding one. =)

Old 09-22-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post
Sorry, i thought I was still responding to you for a couple posts, not realizing it was our board troll chiming in.

I think you have to realize if you have a $400k ceiling there isn't a neighborhood on LI that won't have a few unkempt houses in them. Especially in this day and age when so many people bought high and are now facing foreclosure or have no money to do any improvements. Even the nicer areas have this problem. I think you have to manage expectations at that price point.

Yes, there is a bit of a sketchy area in SW Greenlawn, off Broadway between Cuba Hill and Jericho Tpke. Another reason I like E. Northport a lot because it is surrounded on all sides by good areas.

Also the vast majority of neighborhoods in Suffolk county do not have sidewalks, so good luck finding one. =)
After a few posts I began to realize it wasn't just a regular commenter chiming in!

Thanks for the info. We're going to keep our eyes open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island