Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:42 PM

167 posts, read 303,669 times

Advertisements

Oh for the love of all things holy. You have nothing to better to do in that beautiful town of Centereach then post negativity?? Go check out the local Walmart. Stupid kids and suicide happens everywhere...pull up their test scores and get back to us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 05:37 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,042,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMom77 View Post
Oh for the love of all things holy. You have nothing to better to do in that beautiful town of Centereach then post negativity?? Go check out the local Walmart. Stupid kids and suicide happens everywhere...pull up their test scores and get back to us all.
No one was talking about Centereach. Why are you changing the subject? Why do you attack everything I say, all the time? I even posted links. I didn't make it up. Commack has problems. I feel sorry for people who can't debate without being nasty.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM

196 posts, read 416,472 times
Every school district has problems. Commack is one of the largest districts on LI so there is more of a chance for negative things to happen. A simple numbers game. We also seem to hold high school kids to some holy standard that we never had to experience as kids. Heck in my high school 20 years ago, some kids performed "Rape Me" by Nirvana in the music show and no one batted an eye.

I personally think that considering how large the district is, to see the numbers they are putting up on test scores is pretty impressive for such a big student pop.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,042,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post
Every school district has problems. Commack is one of the largest districts on LI so there is more of a chance for negative things to happen. A simple numbers game. We also seem to hold high school kids to some holy standard that we never had to experience as kids. Heck in my high school 20 years ago, some kids performed "Rape Me" by Nirvana in the music show and no one batted an eye.

Because it is an anti-rape song.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,738,283 times
Glad to see this thread derailed nicely.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:49 AM

196 posts, read 416,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Because it is an anti-rape song.
Like that matters? MTV wouldn't even let Nirvana play it at the VMAs. Sorry for thread derail, heh.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 PM

87 posts, read 557,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galama View Post
Does anyone have insights on the areas south of Pulaski, north of Clay Pitts and East of Larkfield? Over by the middle school / 5th ave school? We didn't drive around there and google maps has it blocked off from street view for some reason.
I live in this area and love it, as I noted in an earlier post. A friend of mine just purchased a home in the same "section" you refer to after looking around for ages in Nassau (real Nassau dwellers too) and loves his home and his neighborhood.

My wife and I looked at many houses in many different areas of Nassau and Suffolk. Never really considered E. Northport only b/c we thought it was out of our price range. Mind you, we were looking more in the Elwood section at the very beginning of our hunt. We were also quite ignorant at the time. We spent a lot of time looking in Commack and just couldn't justify the taxes. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm not sure what is so different between Commack and Northport/E. Northport schools? Blue ribbon? I don't care about the testing, grades and links that support it. The people putting together the numbers and statistics can slant them any which way they want. Not dissing Commack schools or any other school district for that matter. I just saw those savings in taxes as money better spent elsewhere. I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify paying 3-4k more in taxes for roughly the same amount of land. To boot, we saw some really s*&^%y homes in the 400k-450k price range. It was disappointing really.

Crime... most crime on Long Island with the exception of certain areas are domestic crimes. An argument between a husband and wife, parent and child falls under this category usually. So take those numbers with a grain of salt also. I obsessed over these stats as well in the beginning only to learn that it was very similar across many areas we looked at.

We fell in love with this area after driving around a number of times. We saw kids playing, most homes had well kept landscaping (in greater numbers than other areas we were interested in), people took pride in their property by the looks of it and homes were being renovated. We portrayed this (among many other things) as people liked the area and planned on staying here for some time.

Every town has sour grapes and there is no perfect, one size fits all town IMO. As long as the pro's outweigh the con's, it's worth considering. The taxes and property size attracted us. Our neighbors are amazing which I understand is also hit and miss. But it's almost identical to how I envisioned a neighborhood to be.

You can't go wrong in Commack, Northport, East Northport, Greenlawn or Kings Park in this neck of the woods. We feel we have great value in East Northport and it works for our commute (not by train). Best of luck OP. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:00 AM

167 posts, read 303,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post

I personally think that considering how large the district is, to see the numbers they are putting up on test scores is pretty impressive for such a big student pop.
Absolutely!

Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 30,324,482 times
Grew up a grid kid in East Northport on a small home, great area, mix of working class (many own their own service business) and some lower-middle class professionals - teachers, fire / police. Every time I visit I'm amazed at how little has changeed and how the area is so solidly middle class. I live in Southern CA where the middle class is long gone and it's culture shock. There are more expensive areas towards town line road with large lots.

The only negatives for me were that there was a stigma from the Northport kids who would say we lived in "East Northportorico" but honestly it's a nice area and I would move there today if I had to live in the area. Commack at the time did not have much of an identity, and the only reason you went there was because that's where Jericho tpk is, whereas Enpt, Northport, Greenlawn and Huntington all felt like part of the same greater area connected by the train.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:31 PM

480 posts, read 665,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
No one was talking about Centereach. Why are you changing the subject? Why do you attack everything I say, all the time? I even posted links. I didn't make it up. Commack has problems. I feel sorry for people who can't debate without being nasty.
Look whose talking lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island