Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM

149 posts, read 317,369 times

Advertisements

East Northport housing stock differs. The smaller homes in the "numbered" streets are on smaller parcels of land and go for less money than some other sections. For example, The eastern part of E Northport around Clay Pitts Rd and Townline Rd are larger and more expensive (and Commack schools I believe), then you have the very southern section south of Jericho that are on large lots and go to HHH schools and can be much more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 03:50 PM

196 posts, read 418,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
East Northport housing stock differs. The smaller homes in the "numbered" streets are on smaller parcels of land and go for less money than some other sections. For example, The eastern part of E Northport around Clay Pitts Rd and Townline Rd are larger and more expensive (and Commack schools I believe), then you have the very southern section south of Jericho that are on large lots and go to HHH schools and can be much more expensive.
Basically this. The numbered streets are all more affordable, but right by the train. Still nice houses though, nice town and nice schools and easy access to Larkfield shopping. There are a few houses in the low 400s further SE (Im talking Clay Pitts as the northern boundary, Burr south, larkfield west, and townline east) with much bigger property sizes, and potentially Commack schools.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 PM

196 posts, read 418,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galama View Post
Thanks all for the responses... so if there was a "catch" to these areas, what would it be? Seeing a home on Long Island that is both nice, in a good school district, in a nice neighborhood, and with a do-able commute (out of huntington in this case) seems too good to be true.
Welcome to Suffolk? There are plenty of nice, affordable areas in Suffolk with good schools, it's just the commute to the city that is the pain if you have to do it. My wife and I are lucky enough to work in Nassau so Suffolk is perfect for us.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
If you visit the charming Village of Northport on the water and then drive around the waterfront neighborhoods north of 25A in Northport you'll see why that can get a bit pricey compared to East Northport/Greenlawn/etc.
(While some note real and apparent differences with school districts in the area that is one of many many considerations that go into a home purchase and Northport, Commack, Elwood, etc are all good districts in any case)
I second the concern with a NYC commute - if you are talking East Northport you could very well be talking 4-hour round trip door to door (depending on where you work in NYC of course)....and that is not much better than Huntington.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 AM

480 posts, read 668,946 times
You know after all the searching I've been doing and all of the back-and-forth I've been doing as far as towns and trying to find information on them I feel that Northport in the $300,000-400,000 range have homes with lower taxes than now areas and if working on Long Island, is a great place to get a starter or settle into as a first home. As a first time home buyer after seeing photos of some of the houses on the home searching websites I definitely have a lot of interest in this area. My fiancé and I are used to the north shore style of living so concerns of mine were definitely living in areas that didn't have that same suburban vibe. It's good to know that even though we were considering or at least dreaming of finding some sort of steal in Locust Valley that Northport can deliver on being an area that is potentially good for first timers.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:52 AM

25 posts, read 38,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
If you visit the charming Village of Northport on the water and then drive around the waterfront neighborhoods north of 25A in Northport you'll see why that can get a bit pricey compared to East Northport/Greenlawn/etc.
(While some note real and apparent differences with school districts in the area that is one of many many considerations that go into a home purchase and Northport, Commack, Elwood, etc are all good districts in any case)
I second the concern with a NYC commute - if you are talking East Northport you could very well be talking 4-hour round trip door to door (depending on where you work in NYC of course)....and that is not much better than Huntington.
We would drive to the Huntington line - the greenlawn and northport train schedules are abysmal. Huntingon's seems ok. It's not ideal - that's for sure - but it's a sacrifice. Modern-day Long Island is all about sacrifice and settling nowawdays anyway, right? Especially for first-time home buyers.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:55 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times
Quote:
We would drive to the Huntington line - the greenlawn and northport train schedules are abysmal. Huntingon's seems ok. It's not ideal - that's for sure - but it's a sacrifice. Modern-day Long Island is all about sacrifice and settling nowawdays anyway, right? Especially for first-time home buyers.
Ain't that the truth? We lived in East Northport for a year and LOVED the area. When we went looking for a house though, things were out of our price range. And we weren't looking for anything big either, just a starter home.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 AM

25 posts, read 38,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Ain't that the truth? We lived in East Northport for a year and LOVED the area. When we went looking for a house though, things were out of our price range. And we weren't looking for anything big either, just a starter home.
Oh yeah! We realized that when I figured out that we wouldn't be able to afford to buy our parents homes despite making 3x what they do currently.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM

198 posts, read 252,323 times
Hi
We just rented a house in Northport Village (moved from NYC(Riverdale))

I commute to midtown and take a train from Northport (5:28am) to Hunterspoint Ave and then 5:48pm on the way back (from Hunters Point)

And the way I look at my commute is
1) 1h :10 mins of sleep, read, browse the internets time
2) 30 mins of cardio (Run from Hunterspoint to workplace (3.2 miles) -- lucky enough to have showers at work
3) The actual commute (10 mins to/from Northport train station )

That attitude makes me feel sightly better about my life -- and I mostly enjoy it -- may be it will get old eventually

Good luck with your search

Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times
Quote:
Oh yeah! We realized that when I figured out that we wouldn't be able to afford to buy our parents homes despite making 3x what they do currently.
It's crazy. Fiance and I make middle class salaries and it's amazing how little the dollar stretches. It's quite sad how much harder it has become to stay here. I hear people at my work or friends in general talking about leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island