Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM

68 posts, read 294,159 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some input on Special Ed. in Massapequa elementary schools? Looking at some houses there and I have a 5yr. old son entering Kindergarten who's possibly PDD-NOS but they haven't given me a true diagnoses yet.
Would like to know the pros and cons of their program. I'm currently in Seaford which only has self-contained classes and I'm not sure this is the best fit for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,116 times
Default special ed in Massapequa

Im in Massapequa too, self contained is special education
I have a lot of info please leave an email address

Thanks

Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 PM

pjandamom@optonline.net

Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 16,191 times
Default Are There Any Autism Programs In Massapequa S.d?

I am having difficulty finding out about any Autism programs in the Massapequa School District, Special Education Dept. My son is 6 yrs. old. I called the Spec. Ed. dept. directly & spoke to several people there who told me "we can NOT give you any names of the Autism programs". Finally, I spoke to the District Chairperson of Spec. Ed; who indicated that "they will decide upon which program my son will go to".

I questions why the Massapequa S.D. is keeping their Autsim programs "Secret" especially, since I'm a 1) resident of Massapequa and 2) pay taxes for my son's education. She sounded like a totalitarian ruler...like I had no say whatsoever in the process...this is totally Unacceptable. My son has Autisim which is a disability and he has rights too.

I specifically requested the names of any programs the SPecial Ed dept. has in order to do some research. She would not give me any names of the programs offered. I find this very strange and want to dig Deeper into why this information is being concealed. I'm going to keep researching with the Board of Education.
Pls. help me find out more. Thanks for listening.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 16,191 times
Default Autism Programs W/in Massapequa S.d?

Please let me know about any good Autism programs for a 6 yr. old in the Massapequa S.D. THis information should be made available to the public however it's concealed.

In addition, I'm interested in learning about other Autism programs with solid reputations in the Long Island area. Currently, my son attends a private school but is looking for another school. I heard Little Village in Massapequa has a good reputation for their AUtism program (is this true?).

I am not partial to Boces as I am told that a public school environment would be more beneficial w/ access to peer mentors. At this time, I have no names of any school programs that cater to Autism (which is pretty pathetic). ...and I'm finding it very hard search. However, I have made this my quest..and will keep reaching out till I find the answer. THank YOu.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Little Village is great!!! My son went there for 4 yr. pre-k he is not autistic but they have a very supportive school.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 PM

19 posts, read 266,001 times
You can never get info on Special Ed. The programs that do give info usually don't have what they say they have. They build up the programs to support the amount of money they take from the budget.

I believe the Special ED Director for Massapequa is Ms.P. She was the Director of our Special ED in Manhasset. If that is the case get a lawyer don't waste time with her.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 AM

15 posts, read 56,460 times
Special ed in massapequa - Massapequa actually has a good special ed dept. They have self contained smaller classrooms of 12 kids in Fairfield school for kids and a dedicated Autism program for autism-pdd nos which is in East Lake the kids in this program are mainstreamed for most of the day with an aide and then come back to their classroom for additional assistance if needed with their classwork. The teachers and therapists are wonderful and caring. My son has made tremendous strides and I have not had to battle for services like so many other moms have had to in other districts. My son has PDD-NOS and is now in second grade. He went to Boces for Kindergarten (which I was happy with) - some of his friends went to LIttle Village which was very good too. The advantage of all our high school taxes is that our district does have resources and does not have to send kids out of district. They also have an after school socialization program which is combined regular and special needs kids to help the kids with social skills. The special ed office number is 516-308-5050.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 16,790 times
Thanks for all the special ed info shared. I live in MAssapequa as well.
I wonder if anyone can help me with my issues. My daughter is PDD_NOS diagnosed and was accepted to a full day center based program at Barbara C. Wilson school. I am asking the school district to give us SEIT (ABA) hours after school but was only allowed 3 times a week. I am told by many people she should have more and most districts give more. I am looking for some more support to amke my case.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 PM

111 posts, read 431,761 times
I also need info on SPE Services in Massapequa School District.
My has pdd nos and is entering 2nd grade. We are looking to possibly move into this area but want to make sure they have services which would meet his needs. Currentkly he is fully mainstreamed with speech and spe services.
If some one could e-mail me at akitasun@optonline.net, I would really appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: