Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times

Advertisements

The Nassau County Department of Public Works (DPW) is presently in the process of removing nearly 200 large, decades-old, healthy, and irreplacable trees located on S. Oyster Bay Road. Tree removal will span across the neighborhoods of Syosset, Hicksville, Plainview, and Bethpage on S. Oyster Bay Road, beginning at Jericho Turnpike and ending near the Bethpage rail road tracks. I honestly feel the ends do not justify the means, nor do I feel the DPW is making a concerted effort to save as many trees as possible.

Please sign the "Save the Trees" Petition if you have a moment, and share this information between your family and friends: Petition · STOMP: Save Trees Over More Pavement. Stop the Removal of 180+ Trees on S. Oyster Bay Road, NY (Affecting residents of Syosset, Plainview, Hicksville, Bethpage) · Change.org

There also has been a Facebook page created, which highlights some of the demolition work already in progress, as well as provides information and updates: https://www.facebook.com/operationstomp

S. Oyster Bay Road is a county road, and, like the recent activity on Seaman's Neck Road and Old Country Road, virtually every county road in Nassau and Suffolk is at risk for unnecessary destruction of this scale.

Last edited by MobileVisitor09; 09-24-2014 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:39 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
What is the town's reasoning behind cutting those trees down?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
What is the town's reasoning behind cutting those trees down?
"Operation Restore our Roads" according to Mangano's office and newly posted sign on S. Oyster Bay Road, but, there's been little written, publicized or discussed regarding this project. A memo I reviewed (which I only received after hounding a Legislator who just recently found out herself), dated 09/11/14, stated there will be sidewalk repair conducted in the area, hence, the trees will be removed as a result. There is no real rational justification for demolition of this scale, and, the memo was incredibly vague.

I literally drove the entire 7 mile span of county road last night, inspecting the sidewalks, counting the trees, 180 marked for demolition. There was no formal public meeting, outreach, no resident notification regarding a project of this scope. Further, there was a similar tree cutting endeavor (200 oak trees destroyed), conducted in Seaford on Seaman's Neck Road in August, which agitated many who were not notified and led to outcry from public officials that were completely out of the loop. DPW blamed pedestrian safety as rationale for this 'emergency' tree removal. I was just at the Climate Change parade this weekend, amped and inspired, and, I came home to 10-15 large, gorgeous, healthy removed in my parent's neighborhood, I was beside myself.

I'm all for public works projects that provide substantial, positive change and improvement in our region, but, the way this has been handled, the lack of explicit reasoning, zero public notification or outreach, leaves a poor taste in my mouth. The sidewalks are in great shape across the span of road, and, I'm sure alternatives could have been explored to minimize the amount of trees being removed.

To destroy 180+ trees that have been a staple in the community for decades is IMHO an atrocity.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
Are you 100% sure they aren't going to plant new trees after the repairs/restoration is finished?

Old 09-24-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Are you 100% sure they aren't going to plant new trees after the repairs/restoration is finished?
The memo states there will be a 'replanting effort' after the work has been completed, but, no real specifics.

From experience looking at other similar 'beautification projects' completed on W. John in Hicksville, Old Country Road in Plainview, and Jackson Avenue in Syosset, dwarf trees reaching no more than a few feet will be replanted, no 1x1 replacement guarantees. The boulevard look / tree canopy that exists at the moment and took decades to create will never return.

I'm all for repairs and restoration when necessary, but, do think a sensible balance could have been achieved (saving some of the older trees rather than removing every single tree), especially when considering the environmental impact and stress on the neighborhoods. Further, the fact a project of this scale wasn't publicly outlined in a meaningful manner, leaves me unhappy and extremely disappointed.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:22 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,515 times
OK, new trees vs. old ones.......we will not be around to see the effects.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Keep cutting, cutting and cutting...we will be looking like the concrete jungle in no time.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:58 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
I literally drove the entire 7 mile span of county road last night, inspecting the sidewalks, counting the trees, 180 marked for demolition.
How are the conditions of the sidewalks themselves along the stretch?

They may be wiping the whole thing out to save time from having to spot replace? Now that you mention West John in Hicksville, I do see how everything was removed and sidewalks replaced new, but it feels completely barren. Dwarf trees do not do it. Many have mentioned that our areas look duller and older by the year - and I agree completely - and something like this would make it more modern and fresh. But the tall overhanging trees... they are what makes suburbia feel like the way it does. Is it possible to have it both ways?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
The trees could also be a libaility for storms and power outages. I know Lipa and Pseg have been removing taller trees to avoid lines going down.

Before signing a petition, I would want all the facts from both sides, not just from a Climate Change rioter.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 AM

513 posts, read 837,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
The Nassau County Department of Public Works (DPW) is presently in the process of removing nearly 200 large, decades-old, healthy, and irreplacable trees located on S. Oyster Bay Road. Tree removal will span across the neighborhoods of Syosset, Hicksville, Plainview, and Bethpage on S. Oyster Bay Road, beginning at Jericho Turnpike and ending near the Bethpage rail road tracks.
I remember when LILCO/LIPA first butchered the trees on the west side of South Oyster Bay Road many years ago. I could not believe what a supposedly qualified subcontractor (Asplundh, I believe it was) did to them. Those are Red Oaks and were beautiful until the hacks got to them. Properly pruned, they are very sturdy and could have easily allowed the lines unobstructed space through the canopy. What they did, besides turning them into hideously deformed trees (most obvious in the winter) was create a condition that would necessitate constant cutting back of the rapid growth which is a direct result of improper pruning.

I'm not so sure it was sheer incompetence at the time. Had they pruned them properly, they would not have to be back, constantly chopping off that resulting growth. The original butchery ensured that it would be constant maintenance until they are removed. Maybe that was the plan. If there can't be any branches above the lines, no matter how sturdy and properly spaced, then rethink the whole planting trees under lines in a competent manner.

The trees on the east side of the road didn't receive that treatment and in my opinion many could be saved and given a proper pruning which would enhance their health and appearance. Sidewalks could maybe be more adapted to the trees. And maybe the project could incorporate a more suitable ground cover than grass that is really no more than weeds, because it can't get the proper watering, fertilizing and mowing that grass requires. The crews, equipment, traffic disruption, liability and dust stirred up to mow these weed patches is a ridiculous waste of resources that is always ugly, expensive and self perpetuating.

I believe the trees on the west side should be removed, but then replaced in a proper fashion with the grass strips also addressed, not the ongoing bureaucratic debacle that ensures the status quo. And maybe the still viable trees on the east side could be saved and protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island