Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:17 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times

Advertisements

Has anyone recently had their attic remodeled and/or dormered? I have a walk up attic in my house that I would love to finish one day. The floors would need to be replaced and insulated. The walls would need to be insulated, sheetrocked, painted, lights put up, electricity run etc. I'm not looking to do any plumbing just turn it into some sort of finished living area. How much would something like this run run?

If I were to dormer it how much extra would that cost about (rough estimate)? I don't need to do a full dormer, maybe partial.

I'm just looking for some rough estimates and if possible tips on how to do it cheap.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 AM

169 posts, read 675,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Has anyone recently had their attic remodeled and/or dormered? I have a walk up attic in my house that I would love to finish one day. The floors would need to be replaced and insulated. The walls would need to be insulated, sheetrocked, painted, lights put up, electricity run etc. I'm not looking to do any plumbing just turn it into some sort of finished living area. How much would something like this run run?

If I were to dormer it how much extra would that cost about (rough estimate)? I don't need to do a full dormer, maybe partial.

I'm just looking for some rough estimates and if possible tips on how to do it cheap.

Thanks all.
Why not get an actual quote from a contractor who can look, measure and estimate the cost, instead of asking random people who have not idea of the size and condition of your attic?
Not trying to be mean, just thinking out loud....

Old 09-26-2014, 11:04 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenet View Post
Why not get an actual quote from a contractor who can look, measure and estimate the cost, instead of asking random people who have not idea of the size and condition of your attic?
Not trying to be mean, just thinking out loud....
I like you already

Old 09-26-2014, 11:13 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
It will cost exactly $759.34

You're welcome!

Old 09-26-2014, 11:34 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
It will cost exactly $759.34

You're welcome!
Does that include tax?

In all seriousness I agree with the poster who said this is an impossible question to answer. You might get a rough idea out here, but until someone sees your attic there is no way to know for sure. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 PM

I'm looking to see how much some you of that had it done paid for it. I'm not interested in getting quotes because this is probably the lowest thing on my priority list. I just want to hear what other have paid to get it done and if its something I'd consider doing in the future.

And yes, I know someone else's cost to get it done could be a lot more or less that what it would cost to get mine done. Thanks for you input.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:38 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Keeping in mind that I live in NC, it cost us $17,000 to have it done here. We divided the space to add a bedroom so it's a rec room/small BR space. We did not dormer, just finished it as it was. Oh, and the ever-loving egress window came into play - yes, even in an attic!

As always a lot depends on your finishes and how close everything already is to code, i.e. we didn't have to change the staircase, etc.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
It would probably help if you actually specified the type of house it is so people can gauge the square footage to determine if it's comparable to yours....

Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Keeping in mind that I live in NC, it cost us $17,000 to have it done here. We divided the space to add a bedroom so it's a rec room/small BR space. We did not dormer, just finished it as it was. Oh, and the ever-loving egress window came into play - yes, even in an attic!

As always a lot depends on your finishes and how close everything already is to code, i.e. we didn't have to change the staircase, etc.
I have a bad feeling that what you paid $17K in NC will be anywhere from $25-30K here. That does not seem like a lot of money considering that I just got a few estimates to redo my 9x6 bathroom from $22-25K. Well, that's the estimates you get when you get contractors from Angie's list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
It would probably help if you actually specified the type of house it is so people can gauge the square footage to determine if it's comparable to yours....
I live in a Dutch Colonial and my attic area is about 20' x 30'.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Yes, we were very happy with the price. My BIL is a very picky retired GC and he was impressed with the guy's work.

Funny thing is that the required insulation down here has such a high number that my 3rd floor is actually cooler in the summer than my second floor.

Our total finished area is about 500 square feet, maybe close to 600 but no more than that. I can't remember the exact number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island