Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:14 PM

480 posts, read 669,152 times

Advertisements

Curious on the cost for a Cape or a Ranch style house and if anyone has done this and what the cost was for you? Pros and cons as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Getting the popcorn...please don't start till I get back....

Old 10-08-2014, 10:06 PM

61 posts, read 178,629 times
lol. I put solar on my house almost 3 years ago. A lot of factors to consider. avg electric bill over 12 months, correct exposure to the sun, age of your roof, etc... The best advice I can give you is to hire a company that has experience (been in business longer than 5 years). Many companies come and go but it's good to have a company that will be around.

Your best bet is to call a company, they give free estimates. If you aren't prepared to shell out a decent amount of money it probably won't be worth your time. (ex: you avg $200/mo bills. They suggest a system that runs $30k. PSEG may have a rebate to cover close to $10k and you get a tax rebate of $10k. You have to lay out $20k but get $10K back in april). It's an investment and you need to be in your house long term but not having an electric bill the last 3 years has been amazing. Also, my roof was 30 years old so I was replacing it but if you have an older roof it's probably not a good idea. Like I said there are a lot of factors but personally my 2400sq ft house ran $350+/month b/c I also had a pool. I got the biggest system, laid out $26k and had it installed in december so I could get my rebate in april. It cost me $13.8k after all that and in the 3 years I paid pseg a $9/mo hookup fee and did get a check my first and 3rd year b/c i produced too much energy. I figure my break even was roughly 4-5 years and I'd never have to pay electric again.

pros: very low electric bills, environmentally conscious.
cons: don't look good on every house, very high up front cost, need newer roof

Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,143 times
Please spare your neighbors they are so damn ugly.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
Curious on the cost for a Cape or a Ranch style house and if anyone has done this and what the cost was for you? Pros and cons as well.
So you're inquiring about a solar investment before you even buy a home first? Are mommy and daddy throwing more money away into your home, or do you really just have the most misguided priorities ever?

Plus are you really incapable of reading the pros and cons of solar that exist online already? Your methods are so childish that it's laughable.

You should also start threads on radiant heating and ductless cooling, complete with pro and cons. That way you'll be all set when you settle in your house....Which is WHERE EXACTLY?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
yeah it's ok to ask, but not when it's been answered 2.3 million times on the internet already. Psst... that's why Google makes a lot of money. And there's also a House forum here.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 AM

480 posts, read 669,152 times
Thanks to those who have answered with respect. Sad that others hold a grudge. Pathetic actually.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:47 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,589 times
Lots of subsidies and rebates to get the panels, but they're still costly and you'll need to remain in your home a number of years to recoup the cost. A search will provide you more precise details.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 AM

413 posts, read 598,944 times
Kind of missed the boat. LIPA is out of rebates. PSEG has none. NYS has none. Feds mostly are lower than before and expire in a month or two. There are always new business models offering to lease you panels and keep the electricity, basically selling it back to you for less but that is not the old benefit of you generating your own electric on your own panels and even selling overage back to the grid. That is basically not cost effective anymore (unless you use TONS of electricity) until a new round of tax rebates, grants or promotions comes along and it's not on too many drawing boards right now. Renewable energy gets less political mileage when the economy is good, gas is down and ISIS and ebola are knocking on the media's door.

Then again, when you are legitimately interested there are dozens of websites with worksheets online to help predict cost based on sq footage of roof and even takes climate and southern exposure into consideration. Google is your friend. CD, not so much.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:18 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose0708 View Post
Please spare your neighbors they are so damn ugly.
The only thing uglier is your PSEG bill.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island