Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:38 PM

31 posts, read 26,145 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
I got rid of undesirable tenants who, would for three years refused to follow the basic rules set in the lease. Also they did not have respect for my property. They paid their rent late, they fell behind for 5 months. Out of sympathy I worked with them in an understanding manner. All because they have children. So when I noticed they were running my house into the ground I sent them a letter of non lease renewal. 5 months before their lease was set to expire. Long story short it took them even with court action 13 months to leave. As an understanding landlord that I regret to have been. I fell for a sob story of how they didn't have money to pay rent. I let them use their 2 months security with the understanding that any repairs accrued by them would be done. Finally they were evicted by the court. They disapeared before the sheriff "who had yet to show up to execute the eviction order" They destroyed, my House. Mind you I'm in bed with Chase Bank. On a home equity loan I took out to fix my house and make it beautifull. Can I sue these ungratefulls for damages I have before and after pictures. My property value has taken a huge hit thanks to these people. What are my chances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 08:52 PM

28 posts, read 46,542 times
sue them for what?? they probably dont have anything, obviously they are broke...

Old 10-12-2014, 08:59 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,273,838 times
Nope. Welcome to being a landlord, gotta take the bad with the good. And remember, it could always be worse:

So my dad rented a house to a family for 15 years and eventually had to evict them for not paying rent for 6 months. Here is how they left it, public shaming at the end.(Image heavy) : trashy

Old 10-13-2014, 12:41 AM

31 posts, read 26,145 times
well the guy has a strictly cash business. He always paid his rent in cash. they have 3 suv's including his work pick up. these are tax cheats and are taking advantage of the social system. he walks around with wadds of cash in his pockets. He lived like a millionaire at my place swimming pool,home theater system the biggest TV in the living room. Mac books, fish tanks, 5 expensive little dogs, ect he had the audacity to get a legal aid lawyer to represent him in court.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,561,831 times
Welcome to the new America.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:32 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,398,373 times
Legal or illegal apartment?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:34 AM

201 posts, read 330,702 times
Yes you can sue them. Even if they can't pay if you win you can have a judgement placed against them. That will cause them more trouble than you can imagine. I would stay in small claims court if possible (depends on the amount of damage).

Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,909,398 times
I would suggest you fold 'em as the song goes. They have demonstrated to be less than desirable tenants and you are already aggravated as it is. What do you have to gain other than drawing it out and getting more aggravated. As another poster asked, legal or illegal? If it is legal then pay the fee to have the credit check done the next time and go through an agent.

I have another question for you. This home sounds lovely and although I do not know where it is, it sounds like it must rent for several thousand a month. Why are you accepting cash?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 AM

414 posts, read 805,313 times
Nice guys finish last, you just proved it. If you are renting to make $, you can't be a nice guy. All the signs of being dishonest and illegal were there, why on earth would you rent to them or not have kicked them out sooner? No sympathy here.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,406,455 times
why did you rent to an off the books person with children in first place?

I like Kids but they are very tough on houses. For example I rented my house for nine months to a working couple no kids and at end the place was in great condition.

I rented same place 10 days to a couple with three kids. I had scuff marks on walls, a few dings in plaster, filthy toliets. If I was to rent to a family for one year I would need excellent credit, a good deposit, references, and also kids would have to be school age with a working Mom.

My one neighbor rented to a stay at home Mom with a 3 year and a five year old in half day kindergarten, the Dad worked. The wear and tear of a Mom with two kids home all day every day is a lot, they broke toliet handles, leaks in sinks, paint marks you name it. That landlord is not renewing lease and wants a single person or dual working couple only as next tenant as she cant deal with this. Landlord is a 70 year old women with her own house to worry about.

No offense, My parents rented with four kids and when we broke toliet or scratched walls my parents fixed it, not bothered the landlord every five seconds. We lived there 18 years and landlord said it looked identical to day we moved in, we put down new tiles, painted walls, etc. We never called super once in 18 years. Today families treat apts like hotels to be trashed with you as the maid. My current dual income couple with no kids I charge 200 bucks a month less than if I had a whole family in there. Best 2,400 a year ever spent. I am constantly fixing stuffed toliets, broken locks, leaky sinks at my own house as I have three kids at home who are young. I most certainly dont want to be at a tennant house every day doing it while they lay on couch and watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island