Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePulpit View Post
Its time the empty store fronts and antiquated buildings got a face lift in Saint James. It would be an uplift to see a real CVS or WALGREEN as well as a real fast food restaurant White castles, McDonnell, Taco-Bell, ect come to this town. I for one am tired of the numerous empty stores[color="Red"] owned by the same person that does nothing for this town Except make it look run down & forgotten
Except in this case CVS is supposedly to be built in a residential area, not an empty store front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Everyone who votes no should 100% pay the lost taxes paid by CVS

Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Great you now are getting higher property taxes!!!!
No, we already pay high property taxes, that's why we have a say in what happens in our neighborhoods.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
I hate to come off as seeming Pro-CVS but, that meeting was a fail for St. James residents in my opinion.

I'm not crazy about corporations like CVS & Walgreens, however I believe in a free market. The reasoning St. James residents used came off to me as thuggery, extreme NIMBYism, strong-arming, anti-competition. (especially that 17-year old girl up there; who allowed her to go up to the podium? that was embarrassing!)

Their main reasoning is they already have a pharmacy called Spages (sp?). Moderator cut: language removed Does that mean if another pharmacy operator wanted to open shop in the area, they wouldn't be allowed either? Basically what most of them said was they know and like the people at Spages so that's why CVS shouldn't be allowed to open where there are 2 abandoned buildings and an empty lot. Others mentioned too much traffic in the area (after stating traffic already exists in the vicinity)

Good for you. Enjoy your super high taxes. I don't think most residents realize how much tax revenue that would bring in to your school district.

The way I vote out businesses is to not frequent them. If they weren't meant to be and the residents truly don't want them, they disappear from the area. I've seen it happen multiple times in just the last 2 years in my area.
You're a joke if you really think CVS would have put a dent in property taxes. St. James stays nice because of the high taxes - it helps keep the riff raff out. Sorry, but it's a fact. Most hard working people with a high income level will not only maintain the area, but are more than willing to pay for a nice place to live.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:00 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
NIMBYism is going to be the death of Long Island and these idiots in St. James are living proof of it. It's time for Long Island to realize that the mom n pop, small town business model is DEAD, it's been dead for 40 years now.

Why are the residential property taxes in West Islip higher than North Babylon? Because North Babylon has tons of big box chain stores and fast food places on Deer Park Avenue that generate tons of property tax revenue that would otherwise be passed on to homeowners. West Islip on the other hand is anti-business and is obsessed with retaining the archaic small town atmosphere which is not viable in the 21st century - hence our property taxes are sky high. There's nothing to offset the lack of large commercial activity.

Every town in Florida looks like Deer Park Avenue on steroids ... golly gee, no wonder their residential property taxes are as low as they are! Several years ago I went on vacation to Orlando and probably 3/4 of the stores and restaurants were some sort of national or regional chain. It was like a never ending Deer Park Avenue. That's the business model of the 21st century.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 10-21-2014 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
NIMBYism is going to be the death of Long Island and these idiots in St. James are living proof of it. It's time for Long Island to realize that the mom n pop, small town business model is DEAD, it's been dead for 40 years now.

Why are the residential property taxes in West Islip higher than North Babylon? Because North Babylon has tons of big box chain stores and fast food places on Deer Park Avenue that generate tons of property tax revenue that would otherwise be passed on to homeowners. West Islip on the other hand is anti-business and is obsessed with retaining the archaic small town atmosphere which is not viable in the 21st century - hence our property taxes are sky high. There's nothing to offset the lack of large commercial activity.

Every town in Florida looks like Deer Park Avenue on steroids ... golly gee, no wonder their residential property taxes are as low as they are! That's the business model of the 21st century.
You can keep your south shore big-box blight, we'll keep our peaceful communities. Thank you.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
You can keep your south shore big-box blight, we'll keep our peaceful communities. Thank you.
Enjoy your high property taxes for nothing. Ill take big box "blight" over mom n pop stagnation and taxes up the wazoo.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 AM

Will do.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:37 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
what an absurd comment considering 347 in that area is among the most big box and generic chain infested stretches in the region. And the endless car dealerships on Jericho don't exactly scream quaint mom and pop shopping either.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what an absurd comment considering 347 in that area is among the most big box and generic chain infested stretches in the region. And the endless car dealerships on Jericho don't exactly scream quaint mom and pop shopping either.
So, what you're saying is that the blight should extend into the smaller, more residential area? Rt. 347 is setup for this kind of traffic (and even that road is hitting its limits). Why should this be inflicted upon residents who do not want this on their main street where it does not fit? The property is not even zoned for this, it's zoned residential. A bridge must have collapsed somewhere, the useless trolls are out and about. Your point is empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island