Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
So, what you're saying is that the blight should extend into the smaller, more residential area?
nope, I'm saying your comment comparing the north and south shores was absurd. The part where I said "what an absurd comment" should have tipped you off. I really can't make it any easier to understand than that.

Quote:
Rt. 347 is setup for this kind of traffic (and even that road is hitting its limits). Why should this be inflicted upon residents who do not want this on their main street where it does not fit?
I really couldn't care less. But now that you mention it, you have a great point! I can totally see how a CVS wouldn't "fit" in with the 7-11 a few blocks down Lake Avenue.

Quote:
The property is not even zoned for this, it's zoned residential. A bridge must have collapsed somewhere, the useless trolls are out and about. Your point is empty.
I give you facts. You call me names. Not hard to see what type of person we're dealing with here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
Well, just getting tired of being on the defensive of folks who say it's good to put these things up when it doesn't even come close to impacting them. Then the same folks complain about traffic, overdevelopment, and the general degradation of Long Island itself and the fact that there's no good jobs out there. Don't even try to argue that a career as a cashier at CVS (or stock boy for that matter) is going to pay for a mortgage, or even rent on a $1,600/month "affordable" living apartment. Some people won't be happy until Suffolk County is turned into Queens East.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
I have no opinion specifically about the proposed CVS store. I do think any business that opens in St James should be required to provide enough parking to meet reasonable expectations for the size and type of business. St James is already a nightmare and Main Street is very unsafe. It is way past time to close Main St to all parking.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:33 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times
LOL at "stop CVS." No, stop NIMBY in [insert any area of LI here].

Old 10-22-2014, 07:34 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
How about "stop trolls who have no vested interest outside of sitting behind a keyboard in their parents basement"? Yeah, sounds about right.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 AM

20 posts, read 34,105 times
Quote:
How about "stop trolls who have no vested interest outside of sitting behind a keyboard in their parents basement"? Yeah, sounds about right.
How about "Stop trolls who get nasty because other people have an opinion, and even if it differs with yours, they have a right to express it without being attacked?" Yeah, that sounds about right.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:02 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times
Quote:
[irrelevant troll commentary deleted, unread]
?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:10 PM

20 posts, read 34,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I for one am sick of all the CVS & the many other chains opening up...ANYWHERE!! Close to schools & homes.
This is Long Island. Where exactly do you want the stores? If you're going to make such an asinine statement than at least have a solution.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM

519 posts, read 597,641 times
Quote:
You're a joke if you really think CVS would have put a dent in property taxes. St. James stays nice because of the high taxes - it helps keep the riff raff out. Sorry, but it's a fact. Most hard working people with a high income level will not only maintain the area, but are more than willing to pay for a nice place to live.
MOVE OVER Rocky Point! St. James is the new crown jewel of long island!!

I didn't realize the town was sooo nice .

Here's a reality check; These are the taxes the CVS in Westbury paid this year-

School Roll 2013-2014

Assessed Value Tax Rate per 100
of Assessed Value Tax Dollar Amount
(With Exemption)
Net School Tax 15,645 501.222 $78,416.18
Net Library Tax 15,645 14.692 $2,298.56
Net Recreation Tax
Combined School Taxes $80,714.74

Total General Taxes $31,327.06

Total $112,041.80

That's just the property taxes. That comes off all residents' taxes every year going forward.
Share that with the rest of the residents in town and you may be surprised how many might not be so against projects like these. And what's with the comments about forbidding opening near schools & homes?!? It's a friggin' CVS, not a strip club!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
NIMBYism is going to be the death of Long Island and these idiots in St. James are living proof of it. It's time for Long Island to realize that the mom n pop, small town business model is DEAD, it's been dead for 40 years now.

Why are the residential property taxes in West Islip higher than North Babylon? Because North Babylon has tons of big box chain stores and fast food places on Deer Park Avenue that generate tons of property tax revenue that would otherwise be passed on to homeowners. West Islip on the other hand is anti-business and is obsessed with retaining the archaic small town atmosphere which is not viable in the 21st century - hence our property taxes are sky high. There's nothing to offset the lack of large commercial activity.

Every town in Florida looks like Deer Park Avenue on steroids ... golly gee, no wonder their residential property taxes are as low as they are! Several years ago I went on vacation to Orlando and probably 3/4 of the stores and restaurants were some sort of national or regional chain. It was like a never ending Deer Park Avenue. That's the business model of the 21st century.

Is your solution to give in to small business killing corporate chains, rendering all of our communities to look like "Every town in Florida...DPA on steroids" in order to save on taxes? Part of Florida's tax savings is brought about by taxation geared specifically toward all aspects of the tourism industry.

Please realize that not everyone wants to live in communities which are full of big box stores and corporate chains. The folks in St James cherish their main st, value their community, and above all, should have a say in whether a property is rezoned from residential to commercial.

Why Buying Local Is Worth Every Cent [Infographic]*|*Michael Salguero

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island